Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 Turn Signal Assembly Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 Turn Signal Assembly Help

My passenger side front turn signal was intermittent. So, I took a look and found that the bulb was loose. The spring behind the reflector assembly had come loose. I took the reflector assembly out to examine.

All of the pieces appear to be there, but I'm not sure what should hold the spring in place in the back of the assembly. There is a hex-shaped washer that looks like it would hold the spring, but there is nothing to hold the washer to the assembly. I'm wondering if something broke off of the assembly casting itself.

The bottom line is that I cannot get the assembly back into the turn signal housing without the spring falling back out. Is there a trick I am missing, or is there something wrong with the reflector assembly?

Todd
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Here is a picture of the reflector assembly:

Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Not quite sure here, but would guess that the hex-washer would be retained by the several vertical tabs, as they would be bent "inward" at their tips so that hex-washer stays put,..

At least, that's what it looks to be from here, but we're driniking some very old Scotch this afternoon....

BEST!

Doyle
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Not quite sure here, but would guess that the hex-washer would be retained by the several vertical tabs, as they would be bent "inward" at their tips so that hex-washer stays put,..
That's kind of what I am afraid of. The tabs are no longer bent inward enough to hold the washer. Since the part is cast, it is not very pliable. Attempting to bend one tab resulted in cracking. I might need a new reflector assembly. I'm not sure if they are available separately.

Todd
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Another option would be to attempt an "attachment" approach with JB Weld, or whatever would hold down there...I've read where someone successfully did that....

New is always a great fix, eh?

BEST!

Doyle
Old 03-20-2022, 09:40 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tulliotk
Here is a picture of the reflector assembly:

Did you ever solve this? I made the 'mistake' of taking mine apart, and am now trying to reassemble. This assembly seems like it could be simpler.

Quick Reply: 1988 Turn Signal Assembly Help