Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The trunk liner blower cover arrived a few days ago. Had some time this afternoon to install it. Since the car did not originally come with the power booster, I had to modify the cover to clear the booster and then mount it. I also had to cut a hole in the carpet to clear the reservoir. Turned out OK.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG that Speedster on page 1!!

Subscribing to your thread.. I love seeing how it comes along ..
Old 10-14-2013, 05:40 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I originally was going to wait to install the AC compressor bracket when I had the engine out. However, a forum member on another forum mentioned that he was able to install the bracket with the motor in the car. With that as an incentive, I had at it today. First I had to cut a slot in the tin on the rear of the motor. I have a air powered hacksaw that did the trick. Took awhile as I cut a little at a time so I did not want to remove any more metal than necessary.

There are three pieces to the compressor bracket that came with the kit. One piece sits along the top of the head on the right side. I had to remove some metal for clearance to make it fit.

There is a long thin section that is inserted through the tin metal with one end mounting to the motor near the center and the other end mounting to the bracket that holds the compressor.

Once the main bracket was attached to the slim piece and to the piece that sits on top of the head, I could install the compressor. The two forward bolts required spacers which I cut out of some stock that I had in my metal drawer. After the compressor was securely mounted, I installed the idler puller that will tension the compressor belt.

All that remains is to remove the stock lower pulley and attach the extra pulley that came with the kit. Once that is done, it will be time to run the AC lines. Getting closer to being really cool!!

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
jerhofer
Racer

The 3.0 engine sticker arrived the other day. I placed it in the rear window today.

I finished up attaching the heater hose in the engine bay. I had purchased a smaller diameter hose with two adapters. I cut the original heater hose, inserted the adapters into it and then spliced in the smaller diameter hose. Did have one problem today. When I tried to close the engine lid, it hit the compressor. Since there is no adjustment on the mounting bracket and it uses the factory holes, I would assume than when the engine swap was done, the engine might have been mounted a bit higher than the stock height. When I pull the motor I will address this with some spacers under the engine mount to lower it slightly. I need about a 1/2 inch.

I found a set of freshly powder coated steelies. They arrived today around 2:45. By 4:00 I had had the tires mounted and balanced and the wheels on the car. Not that I lust after instant gratification.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Thanks to "jittsl's" comments on Pelican, I was able to make the lid close. Yesterday I was getting ready to take a drive when the lid wouldn't close so I removed the compressor without doing a lot of checking. As he said, the clearance issue was the condenser. I remounted it to make the clearance closer at the front edge and the lid now closes.

This another example of one of the reasons I make these posts. The same thing happened when I was restoring the Corvette. Lots of help from people who have been there before.

The rear engine crossbar mount shows that this motor likely came from a cabriolet. I found a standard rear crossbar on eBay. Today I bead blasted and painted it. When I pull the motor I will install the newly painted part. Does anyone know if the center piece that attached to the motor and the crossbar needs to be changed as well?

My Certificate of Authenticity arrived today. The car was Polo Red originally and built on June 28, 1967 at the Karmann plant. Might be interesting to see if I could find the original motor and transmission.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
CVDH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE how it looks on the steelies. Perfect! And it has that little-bit-o'-stinkbug stance I adore on 911s (see sig).
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerhofer
As I mentioned in one of the posts above I have restless leg syndrome and my leg does not react well to long term pressure on the gas pedal. And yes I do plan on driving the car on long trips. Over the years, we have driven on many vacations in various Porsche's.
Cruise, there is no substitute. Your car is shaping up nicely. She is beautiful...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by CW-VIESOCK
Cruise, there is no substitute. Your car is shaping up nicely. She is beautiful...
Thanks.

I had to pick up my '57 Chevy from the body shop where I had it buffed out. My buddy Reese rode with me in the 912. As we were getting ready to leave, I asked him which car he wanted to drive. Showing he has some intelligence, he chose the Porsche. (The Chevy is a six cylinder, three speed on the column bundle of energy!!) It was his first drive in an air cooled car (he had driven my 996 a couple times) and he loved it. He commented on how well it went down the road compared to his 1966 Corvette.

He also commented on how well the cruise worked as he used it as I oftentimes do to keep from going too fast and getting a ticket. He said it held it within two mph over the 20 miles we traveled.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

You've put a lot of effort into your Porsche! Thank you for sharing.
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 AM
jerhofer
Racer

This weekend I did what you are supposed to do with an early 912/911...drive it. On Saturday, I traveled a couple hours south to attend Euro Fest at the BMW factory in Spartanburg, SC. It was well worth the trip. The organizers had met their limit of 400 cars which meant there was a wide variety. Lots of Porsche's, Ferrari's, English cars, etc. Here are some of the many pics I took of interesting cars.

Today we traveled north to the Virginia border to an apple orchard. Orchard Gap road is one of the many wonderful mountain roads that are only a couple hours away.

On the way back, we stopped in Mt. Airy to commune with Andy Griffith. Checked out some antique stores and scored some great milkshakes to give us enough sustenance to make it home.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 AM
jerhofer
Racer

I did take photos of Porsche's as well at Euro Fest.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice collection of Porsches at the gathering! Thank you for sharing the pics!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Added hubcaps to the steelies today.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 PM
jerhofer
Racer

After all of these years with Porsche's, I still have had a strong desire to own a Ferrari. While I was attending the Euro Auto Festival, I talked with some Ferrari owners. The first guy I talk with had a 328. I have always liked the styling of the 308/328 so it was interesting talking with him about his ownership experiences. For a couple reasons, I always thought that if I got a Ferrari, it would be this series as this is the last series that does not require the engine to be removed for service and the prices are in my ballpark.

Later that day I made the mistake of talking with a couple 348 owners. I have always liked the looks of these cars as well but did not know much about them. As for reliability, the one guy who had owned his car for eight years mentioned that he had had some electrical issues but that the motor and transmission had been bulletproof. I asked the owners if the owner does his own major maintenance, does that really affect the value of the cars. Both of them said that as long as it was documented and done correctly, they did not see that as an issue. They also said that it was becoming more common for these cars to gravitate towards owners who did their own work. Another guy there used to own a 348 and now has a 360. He said he felt the 348 had a lot more feel to it than his 360. Turns out the 348 is the last of the Ferrari's to not have power steering or brakes and no driver nannies other than ABS. It doesn't have airbags either.

With the difference money from the Corvette deal burning a hole in my pocket, I did a search for 348's and found one at an independent Ferrari dealer here in NC, less than two hours from my house. I had thought I wanted a 996 twin turbo as my next car and drove one just prior to visiting the Ferrari dealership. Great car and very fast and I am sure I would have been very happy with one.

However, once I saw and drove the Ferrari, it was all over. I added $2K to the difference I got for the Corvette and am now a Ferrari owner. It is a 1990 with 33K miles and all the records from day one along with the books and tool kit. It has been very well kept and I love the way it drives. Plus it is pretty cool looking. Last Saturday I drove it to the Charlotte Cars and Coffee and that afternoon my wife and I put another 100 miles or so on it checking out the fall colors on some great sports car roads in this area. My son drove and loved it and my 13 year old grandson really enjoyed his ride in it. I even had to take his mom for a ride!!!

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:54 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

awesome thread, lots of cool stuff in here! Lovely 912, and GL with the mistress.

Quick Reply: Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6