Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6

Today was the first day of probably many days spent on some projects on our newly arrived 1967 912-6. In my other post announcing its arrival, I mentioned that is has a 3.0 SC motor and tranny among other items. I spent a few days cleaning the interior and polishing and waxing the car while I waited for some parts to arrive.

The first of those was a beautifully refinished steering wheel from Ramon. The wood wheel that was in the car was too small in diameter and was not my cup of tea. Ramon's refurbished 914 wheels with the hockey puck center not only looks great, it mounts a couple inches closer to the dash than the wood wheel. To me, the wood wheel felt like it was too close to me.

The rear seats had been removed and carpeted in the manner of the RS cars. However, the carpet was bunched up in one area so I peeled the carpet back, did some alterations to the carpet below and smoothed the carpet the best I could. Not perfect but looks much better now. I also mounted a fire extinguisher in that area.

Also spent some time with the chrome polish on the turn signal wiper switch arms and on the interior mirror mount. Ran out of time today but some progress was made.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 AM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 65 Posts
Default This car will be really something ... soon

Jerhofer,

Subscribed, I have a feeling this car is really going to be an amazing transformation as you work through it.

That is a great steering wheel.

How does one reach "Ramon"?

Bruce Ladd
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Much better, are you doing anything to the seats or the stereo head unit?

http://www.vintageseats.com
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a much better wheel.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by pcarhiway
Jerhofer,

Subscribed, I have a feeling this car is really going to be an amazing transformation as you work through it.

That is a great steering wheel.

How does one reach "Ramon"?

Bruce Ladd
He is on the Early 911s Registry forum.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by David A
Much better, are you doing anything to the seats or the stereo head unit?

http://www.vintageseats.com
Still thinking about the seats. They may not be period correct but they are new and are very comfortable.

For some reason the harness was cut off on the radio. So far I have not come up with the wiring diagram. It is an old radio so I may replace it with something newer that has some modern features.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That steering wheel looks great
Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I was not happy with the short shifter that had been installed. To reach the gear lever with the short shifter, I actually had to lean forward and the effort was increased considerably. Fortunately the stock shifter was included with the car. I installed it and I like it a lot better. Now it shifts like a real Porsche, somewhat vague with long pulls but much less effort. The short shifter consisted of a shorter lever and a spacer that was installed below the shift tower. Not much science here.

Next up was removing the air pump. I did not removed the lines under the car as I could see the ones on the left side will be much easier to reach when I backdate the exhaust. I did plug the ends of the lines including the one that went to the catalytic converter.

The accordion hose to the heater blower fan was in sad shape. I had purchased a new one that required that I transfer the metal sleeve on the blower end to the new piece. I ground off the old rivets and then pop riveted the sleeve to the new hose. Looks much better and will obviously work better.

While I had everything off I did some cleaning in the engine bay. It now is far from concours ready but much cleaner that it had been. When I have the exhaust off, I will do some cleaning on the bottom of the car. May have to break out the pressure washer.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 AM
jerhofer
Racer

Drove the 35 miles or so to downtown Charlotte for the monthly Cars n Coffee. I arrived around 7:15 and we soon surrounded by about any type of car you could think of. Parked next to me was a GT3RS. Made a nice contrast with my car.

The same fellow who owned the GT3RS also brought a vintage midget racer on a trailer. Very interesting car with a small block Chevy. He bought this car and a 1979 Lightning Indy car once drive by Panch Carter from the same place. He drives the Indy car in vintage races. Very interesting guy to talk with. He recently returned from attending the Goodwood Revival. Very envious!!

Only one other long hood car there...a '69 911E.

And a real Speedster was present with lots of patina.

How about a very early electric car.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Very nice!! I remember when this car arrived at danny's place and I drove the car to peter as we swap cars , he brought me my 964 and he took the 912 I found this picture

Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice pics, looks like a fun great together.
I think backdating your heating would look right on your car. More 'period' even with the 3.0. You still get plenty of heat (when moving).
That Midget has been nicely modified...it has front brakes added so you could use it on the street with some lights. That would be a hoot.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by Opo
Very nice!! I remember when this car arrived at danny's place and I drove the car to peter as we swap cars , he brought me my 964 and he took the 912 I found this picture
Thanks for providing the shot. When Tom, the guy who owned the car for the last 30 years, has some time he is going to dig out old photos he has of the car and scan them. I am looking forward to those photos with much anticipation.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it just me, or did your engine come from a cabriolet donor?

You have the same floating engine mounts shock thingie that the cabs have.

....and you need to get some shorter studs for your chain box.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Is it just me, or did your engine come from a cabriolet donor?

You have the same floating engine mounts shock thingie that the cabs have.

....and you need to get some shorter studs for your chain box.
It does appear that the motor came from a cab donor.

I did not take the time to change the studs. That is on my list.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I have "restless leg syndrome" which sometimes affects my leg when I am on the throttle for a long time. Because of this, I use cruise control a lot.

I didn't get out to the garage until after lunch to begin the installation of a Rostra universal cruise control on the 912. I installed one of their units on a motorcycle last year and it worked great. The vacuum module for the factory cruise was installed in the car but the rest of the wiring was gone. I removed the vacuum unit and plan on installing the Rostra unit in the same location. To get to it, I removed the heater blower motor. Removing it gave me access to the vacuum unit as well as the two screws for the bracket that attached the cable from the vacuum unit to the throttle. The bracket that held the cable will be used with the Rostra system. While I had everything out I did some cleaning in that area and also cleaned the vacuum unit and the heater fan housing.

The gas tank is from an SC and requires the use of a space saver tire. No air compressor came with the car. After doing a search, I found this compressor that is used in Boxster's and 997's. Amazingly compact and fit in the corner next to the tire like a glove.

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-28-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Projects on our (new to us) 1967 912-6