Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The lugging you are describing could be from the O2 sensor being unplugged. Plug it in and give it a try. I ran mine unplugged for a while and found that at light throttle it bucked as you described.

The other things to check
- Trottle position switch
- Airflow meter "tracks" being worn

It is unlikely the fuel octane is an issue.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Done

Good news! The car runs perfectly now. Because I wasn't able to get the car to school this week like I had planned, my dad and I started with the easy stuff. We started by pulling the electrical connection of the injectors at 3k rpm. We noticed a drop (although surprisingly small), so we concluded that they all work. Next we did the same some of the spark plugs. I pulled the ones I could at the distributor. I also wiggled the wires around and one of them was on but not snapped on. Then we test drove, and boom not rough.

I have video of everything from today. If you want to see it, just say so.

My dad's conclusion is that the wires are not good and that somehow I got them in a good place. I agree with him because I don't have the knowledge that he does. Also I put 93 in the tank. But that wouldn't make the difference that happened today.

Thanks again to everyone and I'll post pics once I wash and wax.

Until next time,
Pat

Last edited by 4boer; 11-20-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Default All shined up

So I replaced all four speakers a while back, the fronts were the worst:

A week ago my one of my friends and I washed and waxed it. I also cleaned up the interior. Then I took it to the woods for some pics:

Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM
pauldavidanthony
Intermediate

Love that color!!!! Such a pretty car.
Great post. I am doing the exact same thing to a '71 911T. I am no where near fast as you are though.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

good work! but be careful... its a slippery slope.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Noob question: Does this car have a rev-limiter? I accelerated aggressively one time and looked down to see the needle at seven. I was very worried that I over revved and things would immediately turn sour, but everything is still fine. Needless to say, I will be a bit more cautious from now on.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL. Yes it has a rev-limiter. Half the fun of having a chip is bumping that limit up a bit. I was told by management to keep my car's chip maker a national secret though, so I can neither confirm nor deny that my car's limit is higher than yours.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just keep it within the laws (as much as possible) because being young and driving a Porsche is a cop magnet! Around here they'll get you for spinning tires even if it's just a chirp.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 PM
4boer
Intermediate

I was...learning . Actually though, I have a reputation for being very responsible and in control. Plus the river Forest Cops have been known to be a pain. I have friends that do much worse. Ironically I just read amber lamps' story of when he had a run-in with la policia four years ago. Glad to hear that you got away with your "non-burnout"
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 84-89 911s have the rev limit set at 6500RPMs in the factory chip, if you have a custom chip then who knows? The engine should not rev past 6500RPMs at that RPM it just will hit the limit and start to mis-fire badly. It's also not a good idea to hit the limiter as it's violent abrupt stop to power. Also don't rev these engines past 6800RPMs as the stock valve train is not setup for revs beyond 6800RPMs.

Originally Posted by 4boer
Noob question: Does this car have a rev-limiter? I accelerated aggressively one time and looked down to see the needle at seven. I was very worried that I over revved and things would immediately turn sour, but everything is still fine. Needless to say, I will be a bit more cautious from now on.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:05 PM
4boer
Intermediate

I drove it up to winter storage today. Good news: the shift action is much better. You just have to let it warm up. Also, the speedometer works only over 80 for some reason. I am kind of regretting that I dropped money into a sound system (don't worry, not much) because there is so much wind and engine noise it is impossible to hear.

Happy thanksgiving

Pat
Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 PM
4boer
Intermediate

Hello again. So it turns out the car is out of it's 4 day winter storage because the family beater snow car decided it did not like the 20 year old gaskets and wanted a winter break instead. (more on that here if you want. Here is a pic. Coolant

Anyway, today it had to be driven in the cold, snow, and salt. Because of this, some weird stuff happened. I think these symptoms are from a bad ground somewhere in addition to negative degree weather but you tell me.
1) The engine noise plays through only the rear driver's side speaker. It's not the ticking from spark plug wires. More like if there was a microphone in the engine compartment plugged right into the radio. (I checked there's not)
2)If you pull the heat levers, the sound goes away but the engine nearly stalls itself. Also the heater fan makes more noise than the engine itself.
3) When braking, the radio cuts out altogether. Notice something in common? (the radio)

I disconnected the crazy speaker and as the car traveled for a while the symptoms went away. I wish I got a video of it, it was the strangest thing, as if it was a British car
Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
4boer
Intermediate

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PwNiiEnAKF4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by 4boer; 12-29-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go:

Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 AM
4boer
Intermediate

thanks. can you show me what you wrote to do that?

Quick Reply: Project Porsche