Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just about finished with the refresh...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks!

I have a black and a SS targa bar cover.... I was going to strip the paint off the black one, but bought a used SS cover at Pelicans, got lucky. But all Targa bars are SS underneath. Many have stripped the paint and sanded it to a brushed look with great results. The duck also from Pelican... it is from Getty I believe.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

So I bought a set of Targa braces awhile back and finally installed them. They mount on the shoulder and floor mounts of the front seatbelt and use the existing bolts. So I did a test to see if they actually worked.

This is what they look like.

here is a measurement when the Targa is on 4 wheels down…

As targa owners know, when the rear end is lifted from the rear lifting point (front on the rear wheel well), the rear end droops a little… you can tell by the gap of the door and body. Notice the measurement difference when the rear end is up...

Dropped the car back down and installed the brace… and tightened it up by shortening the brace.

lifted the rear end again and took another measurement… So it works, not perfect but it is a little stiffer.

brought the car back down and took another measurement..

I guess in time it will loosen and of course you have to tighten it... Im gonna keep an eye on this mod to see if a like it... Take it for what it is…
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What heat exchangers and muffler did you go with? I have been listening to some Youtube vids of different exhaust/muffler combos and many sound super loud; i.e. Dansk & M&K both w/SSI HE especially for a Targa like ours. The Monty 2 to 1 sounded OK but perhaps it was the video.

---------------------------------
-------------------
---------------------------------
1986 911 Carrera Targa - Guards Red
2000 911 Carrera C2 - Ocean Blue
Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

I went with stock heat exchangers, gutted out stock cats, 1 in 2 out gt3 M&K with active baffles and SW chip. I really like to retain my heat system...
Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think, SS or Black bar?

I vote for the black Targa bar especially with that car color. The SS does not stand out. Is it a satin finish?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Rennlist Forums
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

The SS bar is a brushed finished, so it will look dull in some light situation, but also look bright/shiny in sunny days... it really depends on how the light hits it. But I hear you... I do like the black bars as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

I love the look of the SS bar especially because the color your car. The picture of your Targa in the parking lot and with the snow behind is simply beautiful art IMO. Heck, even in your garage on the lift. The polished chrome headlights, polished chrome fuchs, brushed SS bar and polished exhaust tips is simply bellisimo. I will take the SS bar cover if you go back to black :-).
Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
painted the Al grill and didnt like the all black look... so I started sanding (couple of hours) and now am happy with the results.
Good eye. That look compliments the car nicely.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks good...for some reason I feel like taking up archery
Old 03-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Reridge - Thanks for all your answers. I am looking into a M&K muffler as well. I did not see a photo of gt3 1 in 2 out on your Targa. How is the sound? I do not want it to be to loud.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

I'm actually in the process of mounting it... But haven't been home all week. I will keep you posted on the progress. M&K has 2 types off baffles to keep the loudness in check... Active baffles will suppress the volume down bellow 3k rpm. The passive baffles will take the edge off the volume throughout the whole rpm band... I went with the active baffles so I can sneak out of the house and neighborhood on those early drives in the AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

just got back from Indiana to pick this baby up... sucks I have to dirty it up.

here's a couple of accessories I just added this morning...
Rennline stuff...
2.5lb fire extinguisher...

and a magnetic chip guard... wish I put this on from day one. Ive already got some chips in this area. Best part is you can really move it around and tuck it under the rubber trim... so it really stays put.

I like it!

started on the exhaust setup... I was gonna go stock for awhile but, I really cant hear what the engine is doing back there.
I didnt want to spend $300-400 on pre-mufflers so I got a used stock cat and gutted it out... it was pretty simple and took only less than 30 minutes to gut it out. There are 3 layers of catalyst material and each layer is wrapped in a mesh material (you can see the 3 layers by the indentation on the main body of the cat). I drilled out the catalyst material in several location, this will make it weak. Then, I drilled out towards the edges, the drill bit will catch the mesh material and will wrap around the drill bit... this will cause the rest of the catalyst material to collapse and all will come out in chunks... it will leave no deposits of catalyst along the inner walls... it is suprisingly very clean inside.
It looks stock and should work out as a nice pre-muffler... not bad for 50 bucks. Just need to get some exhaust paint to clean up the look...

here is the M&K gt3 mufflers Im mounting... I need to polish the lip a bit more though. I also have a rear valance that is cut for the muffler. Its gonna need some prep, primer and paint though... just waiting for warmer weather.

This muffler is extremely light compared to the stockers... Ill get some weights in to compare.

Im gonna mount these in as well... (maybe). They open up at 3K RPM under that should reduce some noise...

And... of course the Steve Wong chip will wrap up the system nicely.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Just about done with the prepping... waiting for warmer weather to paint.

a little bit of polishing... to much work.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, love your car Ferdinand! What a beauty! I'm ordering the H4's with the chrome rings as well and I've got an order in for the shark fins....I swear I'm not trying to make Coupe copy of your car! :-)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
hhackma
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question on the ducktail-did you remount your AC condenser on it and were there any issues or problems in doing do?

Quick Reply: Just about finished with the refresh...