Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just about finished with the refresh...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks Swede... whats the saying, copying---> best form of flattery, or something like that.

HHackma... I have AC delete, so no condenser, If you are gonna go ductail.. I would go with a Stratton lid... it uses a stock lid.

As for progress, just finished with the install... it's freakin LOUD!!!!! Its not bad above 4Krpm but around town... no way. Im gonna put the cat back in and see how it goes. At this point, Im not sure she's a keeper.

here are some weights...

OEM muffler...21.2lbs
M&K Gt3... 10.8lbs
OEM Cats...13.2lbs
Gutted OEM Cats...9.4bs

Last edited by redridge; 04-03-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: corrected weights...
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks great but I hear you on the noise level.
I've a friend making me a 2 in 2 out in the GT3 style using a stock muffler with 2" outlets.
This will go on my SSI's where I presently have a Dansk 2 in 1 out that is quiet unless you stomp it.
You always think you'll enjoy more noise until you try it. I'll have to wait and see too.
Maybe the other baffles might tame it a bit or a more restrictive pre muffler.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What the heck are they???

Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Believe they were made for MCycles. The exhaust flow is interrupted by the cone at the end of the spring forcing the flow to the outside. As the pressure increases (higher rpm) the spring (attached to the revolver cylinder) compresses and the flow moves in a direct line to the chambers.
That's my unscientific guess from looking at the deal.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

^^^ yup... Im gonna put those on as last resort. There is a set screw to fasten the baffles... not sure i want to put a hole on the exhaust tip. I really hope putting the cats back in really mellows it out... On the highway it is fine, but in traffic... the sound just really bounces of the cars and amplifies it more. As it is now... its a cop magnet. Its not for me...
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

OK... The stock cats are back in, a low rubble at idle... It sounds sweet! She's a keeper... the gutted out cats was to much of an open space with this muffler, very boomy!. One thing about this setup is the loss of torque... Brian from M&K said putting on the baffles will bring some of the mid range torque back... and I havent installed the SW chip yet... so that that should help a little with torque as well.

Though... I think a gutted out cat with a stock exhaust might be a viable alternative to getting more sound out of a stock system.

Here are some installed pics... need to get a sound clip.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Wow. Ya done good. Tell me about what is inside the muffler if you know. I have three stock mufflers at this point and one of them need to be played with.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Wow. Ya done good. Tell me about what is inside the muffler if you know. I have three stock mufflers at this point and one of them need to be played with.
will investigate this... it cant be much in there as it weighs only 10lbs. Its still loud with the stock cats... but its liveable.

I do have a nice pre-muffler aka gutted cat... to liven up those 3 stock mufflers you have.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by redridge
will investigate this... it cant be much in there as it weighs only 10lbs. Its still loud with the stock cats... but its liveable.

I do have a nice pre-muffler aka gutted cat... to liven up those 3 stock mufflers you have.
I had one that I gave to 911vet before she vanished back into the world of SpecMiata. I didn't like the smell. ......and was pissed at Fabspeed at the time about the lousy airbox cover they sent me and would not support so I unloaded all things Fabspeed and haven't looked back other than to remind folks that Fabspeed sucks donkey *****. ....oh, and Fabspeed sucks. Ya, I've forgotten all about it.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Im not a Fabspeed fan as well... but like someone said before, they got their polishing down.

Installed the baffles.... and they do decrease the volume, not by much though. If I had to put a number on it... like 10-15% decrease in volume under 3k rpm. The exhaust note remains the same, throaty. The best thing about the baffles is I got my torque back and very noticeable at that. Overall, Im pretty happy with the setup. I love the noise and still can listen to the radio if you are jonsing for some music. I still get a ringing in my ear after a drive though... but that's a Targa for ya. For a coupe... Im sure its perfect without the baffles.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Interesting about the baffle / torque success. Did you notice a loss at the top end (if you've been there yet)?
M&K make nice mufflers and I admire the lightness they build in but hate the mid range softness that comes with open flow on a stock or near stock motor.
Looks like a nice compromise.
Good thread!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

my motor is stock... but I need to get in touch with Steve Wong, I bought a pre-muffler, sport exhaust chip... but need to get it changed to just sport muffler. But Im a happy camper for now that I got my midrange torque back. The top end is better, but not as good as the stock exhaust. Hopefully Steve can set this straight... but like I said, Im happy with the setup so far.

What do you guys think about hi-flow air filter.... will this help my top end?

Here it is installed...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
FLYONWALL9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferdinand,

WOW, this is great! Thanks much for the link to your build. I now have something
to occupy my evening going through this build. I think IMHO your car is perfect and
something to strive for with my own targa. I have envisioned nearly every single mod
you have done and now know it will look outstanding.

Cheers and thank again for the invite
Scott

Last edited by FLYONWALL9; 04-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The underside looks as good as the topside, very impressive!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Reiver
Drifting

I doubt a filter deal will add anything but more noise.
I've found the stock filter (paper) to be much more efficient at filtering than say a K&N...a K&N I used in dusty AZ let enough particulate matter thru to clog my idle jets on my hot rod...the throats were filthy...back to a paper element and no dust/dirt at all.
I cleaned and oiled the K&N unit on a 5k schedule so over did the oil thing to no avail.
High flow translates to more air/less filter.

Quick Reply: Just about finished with the refresh...