Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1973 911T Find and Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled out the non-stock radio that had been put into the dash with the associated non-stock wiring. We were very relieved to see no hacking had been done of the stock wiring underneath the console or the console itself.

The front bulkhead area of the 911 looks in great shape to include the glove box. We were worried about finding rodent nests in these areas, but all is clean.

Also pulled one of the instruments to check the wiring behind the dash. No evidence of any rodent action there either.

So far so good!
Attached Images    
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Here is a shot of the red Konis found at all four corners. Wondering if they are part of a sport suspension or were they normally found on the 1973 911T.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Love these stories. Would love to find one like this to save. Subscribed.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful find. Subscribed.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The key is whether this is a factory MFI engine. T's were typically carb motors and by end of 1973 production run, went to CIS, as did all "1974" production cars.

Warning.... many of these cars have lived hard lives, or as Blanche DuBois once said "lived off the kindness of strangers"... so they do have a checkered past.

But 1973 was a transitional year, and as the volume seller for Porsche, the "T" went through changes. It was common in-period for manufacturers to use up parts inventory during model-year transitions, and it appears that mid-year Ts were used to move de-tuned MFI engines (911/51 911/61) from slower-selling E and S models... check the engine number on this car... the gurus would confirm VIN numbers and so-on... research, research.

If this car checks out as a factory MFI car, it could command a premium from garden-variety Ts, and be worthy of a significant restoration.

Good luck...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

We are ordering the COA from Porsche, so the engine, transmission and equipment it left the factory with will be hopefully listed.

This 911T was purchased from the second owner who says this is a numbers matching car. We haven't found anything so far to dispute his statements as to the car's life and history.

Due to the car's completeness and overall shape, we believe this will be worthy of a full restoration and have even checked into it ourselves.

So about the red Koni's, are they a special order item?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The red Koni's were standard on the "S" but, IIRC, an option on the "T" as were the self leveling hydro-p struts from the "E".
Ah, even I can't wait for the Birth Certificate to come.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Thanks Charles!

We thought it was something like that since it also has the sport seats installed.

Yes, can't wait to get the COA.

Cheers,
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Just wanted to give an update for those interested in our 911T rescue.

We are going through the engine bay chasing out the fuel lines and electrical connections in preparation to starting the engine. Thankfully have not found any hidden surprises and all looks complete. The shelf looks in great shape with no rust, only the glue from the engine pad which was found behind the engine in a lump. You can definitely see the original silver color this 911T wore at one time.

Also found we have the "S" brakes at the front of this 911T. So it seems with the sport seats, red Konis and S front brakes, this 911T was ordered with a sport package, if there was such an option.

Pictures:
Attached Images    
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Constantine
Just wanted to give an update for those interested in our 911T rescue.

We are going through the engine bay chasing out the fuel lines and electrical connections in preparation to starting the engine. Thankfully have not found any hidden surprises and all looks complete. The shelf looks in great shape with no rust, only the glue from the engine pad which was found behind the engine in a lump. You can definitely see the original silver color this 911T wore at one time.

Also found we have the "S" brakes at the front of this 911T. So it seems with the sport seats, red Konis and S front brakes, this 911T was ordered with a sport package, if there was such an option.

Pictures:

Very nice!! Keep those updates coming!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Great find, it would be correct for a US 911T to have MFI until January of 1973 when they switched to CIS. Post VIN and Engine #'s and we can tell you if they look close. Hopefully COA is helpful but don't hold your breath, the serial numbers and color etc are usually correct but after that you never know. The sport seats would have been a separate option. I'm pretty sure you could order the S suspension and brakes as an option as well, does it have a rear sway. Great car enjoy, it will hard to resist putting this back to the correct color.
Phil
Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW. Factory Sport Seats and "S" brakes are verging on un-obtainium today... try to find some to buy... good luck!!!!

Even if they were not originally ordered with the car, I doubt that matters much... they are period-correct, and on it now, so combined with the MFI, you've got yourself a VERY cool car here...

As a die-hard Porsche guy, I hate talking about investment values, as I think it can attract speculators who don't really respect the cars...

But that said, my gut tells me this car is worthy of a first-rate restoration... not cheap, but if you keep the car for a few years, it will be worth every penny.

Keep sending updates... this is a really exciting project.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend and I found the exact same car. Found it at a police auction for $2200 bucks. It is a 73 T. MFi car.
Got it running after a few years of neglect. No real rust, San diego car originally. Orig ivory white, was painted same red. It is literally its twin very funny. I drive the hell out of it. Only had to just remove the old leaves from engine bay, change oil and buff her up.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Pulled the plugs and found them a bit oily and old looking, but nothing odd.

Tried turning the engine by putting it in gear and turning the rear wheels forward. The wheels turn, the engine doesn't. Tried moving the gear selector into different gears as well as actuating the clutch pedal, nothing changes.

Moved the alternator fan by hand and the belt just slips.

Anything obvious we're missing?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by greg1990964
My friend and I found the exact same car. Found it at a police auction for $2200 bucks. It is a 73 T. MFi car.
Got it running after a few years of neglect. No real rust, San diego car originally. Orig ivory white, was painted same red. It is literally its twin very funny. I drive the hell out of it. Only had to just remove the old leaves from engine bay, change oil and buff her up.
Sweet!

Ours will be a bit more involved to start up it seems.

Enjoy,

Quick Reply: 1973 911T Find and Rescue