Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Out Service, Upgrade, Clean Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

with respect to your clamps and other yellow zinc plated hardware, did you re glavanize, replace , or just clean ? Some it looks brand new around the MAF area.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
with respect to your clamps and other yellow zinc plated hardware, did you re glavanize, replace , or just clean ? Some it looks brand new around the MAF area.
For the most part, just cleaned them up. Some I scuffed and painted with high temp silv/gold.

Also polished some of bolts, realizing I may be facing a short, shiny life for those!

After removing the intakes (a long debate) I bathed them well, then high temp cleared them just so they'd be easier to keep clean. The alt fan and shroud, not shown in these pics, is highly polished and cleared.

Can't wait to get the engine and chassis married again!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Wow, looks a lot like my engine. In 1984. Those look like '85 spark plug wires and the vacuum pipe was cropped out. Very nice looking!
Thanks! You seriously know your model year distinctions when you get down to the date-coded plug wires! Those are new replacements from Pelican, Beru branded and thankfully well built, hold downs even lined up.

Loaded up the truck, engine plus boxes of new bits (gaskets, o-rings, sending units, oil and fuel lines, etc). I should finish chassis soon. So far -

1. Cleaned detailed, recarpeted trunk (went plush black, saved needle felt)
2. Cleaned detailed interior - removed seats, some carpet, steam cleaned all the 'barn smell' and debris. Removed ancient radar detector and idiotic amp driven stereo madness.
3. Installed retro Blaupunkt in dash AM FM CD (MP3, blue tooth, but looks vintage. Sounds great.)
4. Removed godawful dark tint
5. Detailed engine compartment to death. Coming along.
6. Sound pad, cruise control goes back in this weekend
7. Removed turbo tail, carefully preserved all...
8. Duck being painted and will hopefully be ready by weekend. (Test fit done prior, new condensor brackets fabbed, installed.)
9. H4's going on (rings being painted too). Saved old 'USA' versions of course.

Of course, more going on to produce a good, reliable, semi modern 'driver' out of the car. Fun project.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pup looks just like it should,..fuch concourse notions. Job well-done.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great!!
What did you use to clean the transmission?

BTW I noticed the BB512i in your sig.
My favourite Ferrari. Of course I have a thing for boxers.
I just got back from a trip to Italy and had a chance to visit the Ferrari museum.
Lots of beautiful cars, including Steve McQueen's 275 GTB/4, unfortunately there wasn't a 512 on display.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks superb! You said you're doing a reseal - how deep are you going with that? For instance, are you resealing the chain housings? Are you doing both crank seals? Thanks - keep the pics coming!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

man, that looks awesome.... well done!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks, appreciate the encouragement.

Delivered to Porsche yesterday, I should finish the chassis this weekend.

Anyway, 'yes' to the full reseal of chain housings and crank seal. If it held fuel or oil, it's either getting seals or new lines. The tech says he has almost never replaced an injector, only cleaned, so that is one minor hitch in my obsessive/compulsive pursuit here. My last one I put Buick V6 injectors in, direct swap, and it was fine, but he didn't feel that was necessary.

I cleaned the engine and trans with Simple Green, brushes, pressure washing on day one, then lots of elbow grease. I found GooGone worked minor wonders on the thicker stuff, even undercoating that oversprayed onto suspension bits. Kind of amazed. I also 'cheated' after some things were cleaned by either painting or clearing (or both) as a means of protection and maintenance later.

I have just recently parted with the BB512 after 7 great years. Did lots and lots to and with that car, new owner loves it. The market moved, and so did I. Oh well, another hunt ensues!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM
salo65
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! What an awesome project. You're going to love driving her! Sounding good, looking fabulous
Old 04-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Whew, been a fun couple weeks. Project updates include:

1. Ditched the old 'Competition' 350mm steering wheel for a 360mm 968CS wheel (Aiwa) that I modded to install the steering wheel crest. Liking this a LOT. (And no, I didn't pay the 500-600ish you see on ebay for same.)

2. Got new seat belts, in scarlet red to replace recalcitrant, musty 28 year old models that 'caught' too easily and retracted too slowly. These were direct bolt ins, look cool too.

3. Pulled taillight clusters. Man what a blooming mess! Filth of the ages collected down there, inside and out. Cleaned and repainted reflective surfaces where needed. Plus...

4. Ordered LED bulbs for brake lights only. i know, semi debated here but I'm going to try it, and...

5. Ordered LED 3rd brake light (the slim, long model, less sight intrusive). Of course I have to REPULL my stupid parcel shelf that I just reinstalled with...

6. Reinforced speaker grills that had cracked all around. Epoxy 'Plastic Weld' stuff is a miracle. Repainted, looking good. And to further this madness...

7. Installed sound deadener all in rear shelf, back seat area, floor. Got as far as front floor boards and stopped. Will probably do doors and floors this weekend. Along with...

8. LED dash light bulbs. Can't wait to get those in. What a nice upgrade for not much effort.

9. New 'retro looking' Blaupunkt head unit with Blue tooth. Just two round ***** on face, looks and sounds nice. I'm not a stereo head, but just wanted some decently modern sounds, Car already had some high end
Italian made speakers who's name escapes me at the moment.

10. Bought new sunvisors to replace the nasty, crumbly, stinky original ones. Dear heavens, what were those made of??? Shredded wheat and saltines? Anyway, kinda pricey (from German dealer on ebay) but a good move.

11. Finished my engine pad and heater hoses. I think I'm done back there, but NOT to the level of jerhofer and others! You guys make me look like a slacker, which is basically accurate. I went with the black heavy duty version from Appbiz.

Car should go back to dealer to get re-sealed motor installed next week or so.

Okay, enough for now. That's where I am and still having fun!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

"retro looking' Blaupunkt"

any more info on this? My cheap $80 radio aint cutting it.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
"retro looking' Blaupunkt"

any more info on this? My cheap $80 radio aint cutting it.
Found it on ebay first, but local retailer was able to get (and install) for $180 for unit (!) and that's with blutetooth, MPC hookup. Installation of course varies but was around $200 extra for all.

Next is my 968 CS wheel that was modified for Momo hub. I bought a crest online and drilled, glued in place. Turned out nicely.

Then a bad shot of belt in place (other one coming!) and floor insulation.

Finally, my newly painted duck tail awaiting grill, grommets, latch while on our dining room table, which for some reason didn't please my wife.
Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Part of the chassis prep includes the infamous sound pad, and I'm telling you, the 'OEM' version is a sissy compared to the one from AppBiz as mentioned. Photos showing it installed and looking all neat.

Also shown are the new heater tubes (they arrived sort of 'tan' colored which was going to grime up in a hurry. I shot 'em with Chevrolet Orange engine paint (the only 'merican part on the whole car!) to better mimic tatty originals.

Then FINALLY got my H4's installed. For me, this was NOT a 'quick swap' as screws were stripped on the ones I purchased, required tapping, then the blankety blank gasket was too fat to fit the headlight ring over, on and on. ANYWAY, they're in, they work, and look as the Euro designers intended.

Lastly, my ducktail, previously shown on my dining room table, is now on. Fits nicely (some mods required) and paint match was dead on.

Progress!
Attached Images      
Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks great. I'd only caution you that although the fan and housing are lovely polished out Magnesium is very prone to corrosion and should be given a chromate treatment to neutralize.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Turbo brakes?!?!?! WANT!!!!

Quick Reply: Engine Out Service, Upgrade, Clean Up