Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:25 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's with all the Magnus bashing, especially from Amber Lights and Rasnuk.
I've seen the car in question up for sale at Essen a few weeks ago and it's a nice car.
I also met Magnus on the Porsche stand.
Some people love him and obviously some can't stand him.
Personally, I think he's a guy who loves Porsches, has his own ideas of what he wants and goes out and gets what he wants done and he does get involved in the creation of his concept.
He has done a great job of putting himself around and has become famous for the way he looks, dresses and his cars, so why shouldn't a car that he has been involved in be worth a bit more, or maybe a lot more than a car that you or I built.
If the car sells for the price the owner wants for it, then good for him. If not then obviously it's over priced or the right person just hasn't come along yet.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
What's with all the Magnus bashing, especially from Amber Lights and Rasnuk.
I've seen the car in question up for sale at Essen a few weeks ago and it's a nice car.
I also met Magnus on the Porsche stand.
Some people love him and obviously some can't stand him.
Personally, I think he's a guy who loves Porsches, has his own ideas of what he wants and goes out and gets what he wants done and he does get involved in the creation of his concept.
He has done a great job of putting himself around and has become famous for the way he looks, dresses and his cars, so why shouldn't a car that he has been involved in be worth a bit more, or maybe a lot more than a car that you or I built.
If the car sells for the price the owner wants for it, then good for him. If not then obviously it's over priced or the right person just hasn't come along yet.
Please go back and focus on what I said. I trashed on the seller of the car for wording his ad to make it appear as though Mangus owned the car when the ad goes on to make it clear he didn't. I also trashed on him for crashing it, painting it, and generally changing it so much from how Mangus had it looking.

When there are dozens of shops in Southern California that could have done the work why did the owned go where he did? Marketing. TRE (and several shops in that general area), 911Design (and a couple shop in his neighborhood), European Collectables (and dozens of shops in that general area),Black Forest (and several shops on that street), Einmalig, CPR, as well has shops all over Monrovia, Santa Monica, Costa Mesa, and all up and down the coast. Nothing special about Mangus. He is an image.

Sorry, I'd say more, but my graham crackers are ready.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:23 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Originally Posted by amber lamps
are you calling me a hypocrite or a fellow scofflaw?

You forgot to highlight your post inside what you quoted from me.
Fellow scofflaw, junior grade. We do buy these things because they are fun to drive, no? And to work on, mostly.

Thanks for the edit. I forgot quotes are in italics and put my comments in them. Doh!

All in good fun.

p.s. - Congrats of acquiring Ruby's carcass, I've long admired that car and I'm not much of a targa fan. Enjoy.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rfloz
Fellow scofflaw, junior grade. We do buy these things because they are fun to drive, no? And to work on, mostly.

Thanks for the edit. I forgot quotes are in italics and put my comments in them. Doh!

All in good fun.

p.s. - Congrats of acquiring Ruby's carcass, I've long admired that car and I'm not much of a targa fan. Enjoy.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys-

There is no needs for personal attacks on Magnus. If you do not want his car, then dont buy it. No need to attack the seller.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Plavan
Guys-

There is no needs for personal attacks on Magnus. If you do not want his car, then dont buy it. No need to attack the seller.
Where exactly is the attack on either Mangus or the seller?

Are you saying that if we don't like something we are obligated to keep our mouths shut? If so, then are you saying that I should only report back on cars that passed my inspection? If that's the case then I can think of at least a half dozen guys from France to Denmark that would be quite pissed off at me right now. Sometimes, when marketing an image is involved, there is a giant turd up for sale.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

If the seller is a big fan of Magnus and his cars, why not get him to mod your own car.
Ok, it's not 100% a Magnus car! but he is involved in its history and he has also signed the fuel filler cap, so he's not opposed to the mods either.
If you or I have an interest in buying this car, we can decide for our selves if it's history is worth considering when making an offer to buy it.
Obviously, if it was you making an fifer or not, the history is irrelevant and you wouldn't offer him anywhere close to what he wants.
And by the way I did read through the thread and you are a Magnus hater!
Do you have a thread on the build on your car! I'm sure it's a good read.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That dude needs a Haircut. I sat next to him at the Porsche Zentrum this last Pebble Beach!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
And by the way I did read through the thread and you are a Magnus hater!
Do you have a thread on the build on your car! I'm sure it's a good read.
Me??? I'm a hater?

...and no, no thread to speak of. Some things were documented and others were not. I did my own fuel lines and intake manifold seals way back in the day. Did my H4's on relays with painted rings, door seals, top seals, speakers front and back, brake rotors pads and calipers, hard and soft brake lines, strut inserts and strut brace, shocks, axles, engine management including chip, one off RS carpet, RSR door cards, MOMO wheel, RSR alternator warning light, bumperette delete bumper with correct Hella plate lights w/paint to match, 911R tail lights with all the correct lenses, rear studs w/spacers and steel nuts, turbo tie rods, both oil coolers and auxiliary fan, clubsport valance with splitter, footwell blower delete, heater blower delete, full and absolutely complete A/C delete, central locking delete, parking brake, refinished wheels, head temp sensor, ICV, fuel injector balance, O2 sensor, internal thermostat, fuel rails, motor mounts, tons of yellow zinc on the engine, cruse control delete, ducktail w/paint to match, T-bars and spring plates, welded WEVO rear swaybar mounts, and on and on and on without ever once even considering paying a mechanic to do the work.

Needless to say, I've put my money where my mouth is.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I've an idea...talk about the car for sale....close the door on the personality stuff.
I'd own it for sure but damn sure would.t want to pay that.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:08 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Me??? I'm a hater?

Needless to say, I've put my money where my mouth is.
It's great that you have done all of that work yourself and there are many guys on RL that amaze me with their skills and some times the space they have to achieve what they achieve, but not everyone is like that. They may have the vision, but not the skills to enable them to do it themselves.

if you have any photos of your car lets see them, I am sure it looks great.

And yes, I think Magnus could do with a hair cut, but then I guess he wouldn't be the same character would he.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by salukijac
Doug, I'm not sure I follow your rationale. I didn't know a pre-requisite to owning a Porsche is doing you're own work. What's the difference with going to CPR and ordering a ground up restoration? Is the value of the car now not worthy because someone else did the job? So he has his own guys to execute his vision.

I think what ICE is saying is that it was Magnum's car...he sold it to someone and that person now is trying to capitalize on Magnum's aura. The dude has some serious cars...you can't deny that.

And his cars are not made to look something that they're not, they are by definition a hot rod...no rules...and btw, they perform.
Yup that is exactly what i was sayng ..
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rfloz
Yeah, he should be busted. For, oh, I don't know, maybe "exhibition of speed".

Question - how much work do I have to do myself to hang on to my P-card? Oil changes and brakes enough? Does stripping 350 ugly pounds off the car do it? Prolly not. Excuse me while I go forge a crank or something.
Well i got rid of 170 lbs out of the passenger seat and it cost me about a 1/2 mil. Is my car worth more now ?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:46 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well i got rid of 170 lbs out of the passenger seat and it cost me about a 1/2 mil. Is my car worth more now ?
Only 1/2 million, you got away cheaply
At least you have more fun in it now than you did before.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
That dude needs a Haircut. I sat next to him at the Porsche Zentrum this last Pebble Beach!
..and some deodorant ... jut sayin .. not a personal attack .. but right-guard needs a guy of magnusses Marketing skills in the Uk ....

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs