Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

No affiliation obviously.....

Very cool car and of course it has the Magnus touch. Don't see his cars up for public sale very often.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, as hot rods go, I've got a better one. ...and I'm in it for 1/4 the price.

There is nothing special about that car. You don't get original wheels, engine, carpet, seats, suspension, bumpers, deck lid, etc,,,, Car has fail all over it at that price. If it were at $35,000 then ya, fine, great car.

Oh, but it has H1's and that 917 shift **** that someone copied out of a book.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

His white, red and blue car sold for $300K+ on ebay... I particularly dont get the fascination with Magnus but good for him... and yes his cars uses off the shelf stuff so... yeah, I dont get it.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Marketing is def an art form.....otoh it's about 148k US...if you bought a decent '72 long hood and had a total resto done with the right parts you'd be in it that deep unless you did 'everything' yourself.
He puts quality stuff in his cars and they are done right....about market price I'm thinking.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

Nice looking car but overpriced in my opinion ... seems like at this point you're paying more for the name than the car itself.

If i had 148K to burn i would REALLY enjoy myself building MY car ...
There's only so much you can do to a car,i mean all the best of suspension and brake bits along with a strong 3.8 993 engine wouldn't even set you back half of that amount !

Just sayin ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be worth more if the hippie didn't touch it at all.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Nice looking car but overpriced in my opinion ... seems like at this point you're paying more for the name than the car itself.

If i had 148K to burn i would REALLY enjoy myself building MY car ...
There's only so much you can do to a car,i mean all the best of suspension and brake bits along with a strong 3.8 993 engine wouldn't even set you back half of that amount !

Just sayin ...

Cheers
Phil
I don't know...I've a friend that restores cars of that era to bare metal then does the panel replacing etc.....hard for that not to get to 100k if you are having it done and done right. New looms, motor tranny rebuild, suspension apart and together with everything new...think you guys are dreaming.
Ask some of the guys here that are having shop done restorations what they are coughing up and I'll bet you are in that ball park or more.
Do everything yourself and you'll save money....if you have all of those skills and can do it to a good shops standard.
Easy to sink 100k in a resto..easy, and that's not including the initial cost of a '72 long hood.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
It would be worth more if the hippie didn't touch it at all.
Looks yeah, but a serious Capitalist that has a business and spends his money supporting the Porsche industry....not your average 'hippie'.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a righteous dude that's really I to p-cars and some times sells one to me. Lot more douchebags flipping cool cars around here to gang up on than debating whether Magnus is legit or not to me.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

Magnus is definitely a Porsche guy,what i'm saying is that 148K restored cars bring up a different kind of market.I'm not sure i'd want to flog a 148K car around a race track at full throttle unless i was a millionaire !

Since this car is supposedly restored from the ground up,it would qualify more at that price as a collector car destined to go for the occasional Sunday drive ... when it doesn't rain !

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

I have Met magnus a few times and he is a true Porsche guy and a clever Marketer to be sure. His cars I find intereting. One additional thing to note is I had this very discusion with him . he says he doesnt know why the cars he once owned now have a certain panache about them , he just has money and buys and sells cars in and out of his collection. case i point is this car ..Magnus isnt the one selling it . its some one who bought it from him trying to amp up the heritage to make bucks...
Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

With all the marketing and boasting and videos and magazine articles and websites that have lapped up his PR I have not seen a single photo of him turning a wrench.

In one video he torques lug nuts that have already been torqued, and in another he balances one tire on top of another while walking. I could train rusnak's fluffy dog to do that.

Show me he can turn a wrench and I will show him some respect. This hobby isn't about throwing money around, it's about wrenching on the cars.

EDIT: According to Reiver's math.... I'm in at 1/6th the price.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Doug hea actually openly admited to me he doesn't wrench cars at all when i asked him that .. that is not his thing , he says he has a a really good engine guy who does most of the work . I think he is an eye for a certain flare.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Reiver
Drifting

"According to Reiver's math.... I'm in at 1/6th the price. "
Didn't know you had a '72 longhood?
Def do able if you do your own work tho. Just add your hours up and figure what that would be at 100 bucks an hour min.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
Doug hea actually openly admited to me he doesn't wrench cars at all when i asked him that .. that is not his thing , he says he has a a really good engine guy who does most of the work . I think he is an eye for a certain flare.
So this car just took an even bigger step away from actually being one of Mangus' cars. It was never actually owned by him and now you are saying it was never even wrenched on by him. The European purchased it, contracted with Mangus to be built to Mangus' specs, and ......and .....and .....and the engine in the car has 87,000 miles on it.

...and Reiver, I didn't claim to have a '72, I claimed to have a better hot rod. No? Even if we did the math at $100/hour, that leaves over $100,000 in time and effort that I didn't have to spend to achieve similar results. Imagine what I could do with that tub that kind of coin!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs