First Drive and a Wash with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts
Default First Drive and a Wash with Pics

So yesterday I finally picked up the 911E from the mechanic after replacing the fuel pump, rear shocks and having the fluids changed. She runs beautifully and the Sportomatic is a very cool transmission. It is essentially a manual but with no third pedal and a torque converter so the power isn't as immediate as a true third pedal but it is definitely more convenient when in traffic or at a stop. I can see why people like it.

I did note an issue with the car stalling after getting warmed up. One of my neighbors helped me partially diagnose it when he noted that the hose connecting the drivers side heat exchanger to the engine was disconnected. I'm going to reconnect later today and take her out again later this week to see if that takes care of the problem. Otherwise the engine is great, good idle, nice and smooth and no clicking.

The steering ins incredible, I thought my Boxster Spyder had good feedback but this is even better. I do think the front shocks need to be replaced since I can feel the tires disconnected from the road briefly when going over larger expansion joints but otherwise she is very tight and handles extremely well. What a fun car to drive.

After the drive I gave her a quick bath and treated the rubber to soften them up. She cleaned up nicely but I have a ways to go. Everything is in really good shape but dirty! Should be a fun project.

Some more pics...
Attached Images        
Old 04-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Car looks in great shape...probably right about the fronts being toast...look at the bushings while you are there.
Direct rack and pinion is fantastic isn't it.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very good to see it on the road so quickly. Strut inserts are a great do-it-yourself project.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car, fun times ahead I do believe . . .
Old 04-14-2014, 04:15 PM
42 yrs w/porsche
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The hose from the left heat exchanger to the injection pump is critical. It provides heat to the thermostat on the injection pump and if it's not connected, it can cause the injection pump to run in a rich state (like having a carburetor choke on all the time). This can then lead to the engine oil being thinned out with gasoline, especially in the colder months. A rusted out heat exchanger can cause the same problem (no heat to the injection pump thermostat). Just FYI.--Dave
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, thanks for the heads up. Ironically the drivers side heat exchanger was replaced at some point and this might explain why.

Would driving the car 20 miles with this hose disconnected be enough to thin out the oil and would driving it more burn off the fuel or shold I get it changed again?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's a beaut!!!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doyle!

So I reconnected the hose yesterday and took her out to get some gas and wow what fun! This thing is crazy fun to drive. Had her up at 6000 RPM and the engine kept pulling. Since I'm still getting to know her I didn't want to push to hard...but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist next time.

Stalling issues are gone but she's still running a little rough although I did notice that she's running better after a few miles. I'll try to take her out again this week and report back.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM
42 yrs w/porsche
AutoX

Hi Afshin, 20 miles is not a big deal but I would wonder how long the previous owner has driven it that way. Check the dipstick to see if the oil smells "gassy" and if it looks real thin on your fingers. Typically, there is a small cam in the injection pump that wears and causes the car to run poorly. The system had to be richened up beyond normal, in some instances, to get the car to run right. This added to the oil dilution problem and consequently more frequent oil changes. Here's a good write up on the mechanical injection system, it's benefits and short comings.--Dave

stuttgartperformanceengineering.com/mech_fi_sertup.html
Old 04-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave thank you for the reply and the link.

I don't believe the car has been driven much since it had its top end rebuild in 2008. I say this because the parts that were replaced all look new with no dust accumulation or any other indication of use. I know the PO received the car as part of a divorce settlement and its been in storage for at least 1.5 years.

I'm having a problem with fuel vapor smell in and around the car. The fuel line was pressure tested and its fine but for some reason I'm still getting the smell in the cabin. I'm wondering if there's a carbon filter or some other vent that maybe isn't connected properly. I know my 928 had a y-connection that had snapped and was causing vapor to enter into the cabin. I need to get a parts breakdown for this car.

I also have an embarrassing question regarding opening the frunk. I don't know where the frunk handle is located to open it. I see a keyed **** pull located below the dash, is that it? My ignition key doesn't fit into it.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
42 yrs w/porsche
AutoX

Fuel smell: I'd check in the trunk. There's lots of places up there for vapor leaks. Check the hoses going to the charcoal canister and there's a small square plastic box in the evaporative system (as I recollect) up behind the instruments. The seal on the top of the tank for the gauge sender is another culprit.
Trunk release: That is the trunk release ****, just under the edge of the driver's side dash. Make sure you're not using the valet key (usually the red one, I think).--Dave
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Afshin, very nice Targa. Yes the handle at the left bottom of the dash is the one. It should pull towards the back of the car.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I took her out for a drive again tonight to burn off more fuel....at least that's the excuse I gave to my wife. So the drive did help alleviate the fuel smell which makes me think one of the vents isn't working properly.

As far as getting the trunk open, that will be a bigger issue. I only have one key and apparently it is the valet key. I'll try it again but if I have no luck I may need to find another way.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Afshin,

Congrats on the 911! Looks great! I hope you, Bia, and the kids have lots fun with it this year.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Beautiful! As a young boy, we had a 71 911E targa. It was white with a 5 speed. I loved that car!

Quick Reply: First Drive and a Wash with Pics