Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
msavard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C belt

Hey all, I'm new posting to the forum but I've been lurking for the past couple of months and reading up on all the collective wisdom.....

Now, my newbie question: I have a 1986 and the a/c, of course(!), is not functionning. I have to change the fan belt. Can I just not bother reinstalling the A/C belt after replacing the fan belt ? I will not have the a/c repaired anyways.

Thanks!
Marc
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you do not have to put the A/C belt back on. If you don't plan to fix it then you could just remove the compressor and all of the other related parts and piping which will give you some more room in the engine bay as well as cut a little weight.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Whether you decide to put on the AC belt or not, disconnect the compressor clutch wire (it is located just behind the oil filter). The stock system does not have a pressure cut off switch. If the system does not have refrigerant in it and someone decides to turn on the AC system (with the belt on)... no refrigerant = no oil flow = toasted compressor.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
yes, you do not have to put the A/C belt back on. If you don't plan to fix it then you could just remove the compressor and all of the other related parts and piping which will give you some more room in the engine bay as well as cut a little weight.
+1 Removing the condenser in the tail also improves air flow/cooling to the engine. I did that on my 86 when it started spending more time in the track than the road.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Rennlist Forums
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM
msavard
Intermediate

Thanks to all for your input. (Even to upier despite his avatar...)

Go habs go!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

i helped a budy change his oil and filter for the first time the other week ( didnt want to hear about another overfilled car thread ) . Only then did i realize what a PITA that compressor is ....
Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by griffiths
Whether you decide to put on the AC belt or not, disconnect the compressor clutch wire (it is located just behind the oil filter). The stock system does not have a pressure cut off switch. If the system does not have refrigerant in it and someone decides to turn on the AC system (with the belt on)... no refrigerant = no oil flow = toasted compressor.
A strong reason for adding a pressure switch/sensor even if your A/C is fully functional at the moment.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 PM
msavard
Intermediate

Talking

For the ones that remove their a/c, did you cap the various hoses? (or am I being too obsessive comp about it?)
Marc

Quick Reply: A/C belt