Rust - How much should I worry

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rust - How much should I worry

Hi everyone,

happened to find some rest on the driver's side fender near the trunk lid (Pictures attached). The car is otherwise clean so I was a bit surprised and disappointed since the other minor areas are all surface rusts, but his one bothers me.

Any ideas on what to do next. I have zero body and paint experience, but if this is something a DIY can do I can follow instructions.
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

You won't know until you pull the rubber and look. It 'appears' to be a small area and therefore minor but it also looks as if it has bubbled up (not minor) so get busy and look around.
If it is a small area then clean it down to bare metal and POR it except for the exposed part and do a bit of paint touch up there.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 ^^^... take the seal off... remove the rust as much as you can. If you dont want to go crazy with it.... look into POR15 (black) anti rust products... that should slow it down some.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

Thanks Guys. I will get started on this as a first priority. Hope this is a minor problem, rather than a surprise deep down into the fender. Not having done any body work, is the weather strip simply pulled off, or do I need special tools? Any special precautions I should take while doing this?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,049 Likes on 746 Posts

i dont think you would need special tools but you may find yourself repaceing the weather stripping anyway so have at it. based on where it is I would think you got a rock or something else caught in there that ground through the galvanized coat. I think you will find more rust there than you hope when you dig into the bubling , but perfectly fixable. I would consider driving to a couple of body shops just to get an opinion. It cant hurt, and by the time you buy the quantities of POR 15 may work out cheaper to just get it fixed.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Iceman, that is what I was thinking. While I would love to tackle this, want to know what I am looking at before diving in, and if a professional can do it at reasonable cost. I got some good tips on DIY from Pelican forum as well if I choose to do a DIY. Also, I am trying to get it ready for DE end of May, and will have to wait anyway if I were to tackle it myself.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definetly stop that in its tracks. I would do as others suggest, take that seal off and strip that rust. I would not POR15 it as it makes a mess and doesnt hold up against sunlight, I would have it professionally tended to at a restoration body shop if it was mine.

Quick Reply: Rust - How much should I worry