Buying a 911SC red flags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 AM
BlundettoSC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a 911SC red flags?

Hello folks, first time posting here.

I recently went to check out a potential buy. 1982 911 SC. Everything seemed fine. No rust ( california car), good gaps,rubber seals, pop off valve, carrera tensioners, 8.5/10 interior.

The bad: the owner previous to the current one had the car repainted in the same color(red). However it was just painted over the existing paint, it wasnt stripped. Now the paint is flaking in multiple spots. Basically in most of the nooks and crannies. Even some rubber gap seals were painted over. You can also see where they pulled the masking tape off it wrinkled some paint. One door has strong orange peel. Mirrors are hugely flaking. Even the whale tail is flaking. Basically was a shoddy job. But you can only see this if youre closer than say...8 feet. From farther it looks like a good paintjob.

The bad part 2: i checked carfax. Apparently the car was bought by a dealer ( well known dealer around here) in 2001 and carfax says the odometer was rolled back more than 13,000 miles. Then it was sold to who im assuming is the current owner since thats the only sale history on carfax. How is it possible that the dealership either didnt know the odo was rolled back and bought it or rolled it back themselves? Isnt this highly illegal? Im going to call and inquire tomorrow.

The bad part 3: the owner i talked to said he bought it from the previous (original) owner in a private sale 8 years ago. Carfax clearly says it was bought from a dealership in 2001. Could he in fact just be the third owner and not know? (And it wasnt reported on carfax?)

On top of this, the asking price is fairly high. $25,000

Are these enough red flags to steer clear of the car? If it was just the paint i wouldnt care too much, i could live with it and try to negotiate down to 20k. I was going to get a PPI performed this coming week but now with the odometer rollback and confusion over previous ownership and history i feel like i should save the $300 ppi and walk away.

What would you guys do? This is the first one ive looked at by the way. Should i keep looking?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:31 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I would run from that one.

Better off finding one like these

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...grades-fs.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911sc.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rera-sale.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1-sc-sale.html
Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no way I would buy that car. In my area, there are two that are 25k or under with under 100k original and no funny stuff.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM
BlundettoSC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought as much. Thanks for the replies guys. And i appreciate the links Gothing
Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cliche', run Forest run
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

PS- $5000 won't get a really nice paint job on a 911. I'd say $7-8K is more realistic.

As others said, NO on this one!

Quick Reply: Buying a 911SC red flags?