Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Peel the leather covered dash = have vinyl come out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:55 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peel the leather covered dash = have vinyl come out?

My 81 SC came with leather from the factory. All in decent shape but around the center a/c vent the leather has peeled back and it just looks plain ugly.

Seems to me that the factory took a vinyl dash and just covered it in leather. Where the leather pulls back, I can definitely see a grain that looks just like the factory vinyl. I am wondering: Can I just peel the leather and end up with a vinly dash? Anyone has done this?

I need a new windshield seal, so I will have the windshield out eventually. Seems like a good time for a thorrough peeling, I could even pull the cover if I needed to.

George
Old 08-16-2003, 07:18 PM
sschmerg
Racer

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that underneath the leather is the standard vinyl dash pad. If you have the windshield out, that's a great time to do any work with the dash, since that is the only way you can remove the dash pad. If it's damaged or cracked after you remove the leather, just buy a new one and install it while the windshield is out.

-Sean
Old 08-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Trust me
Instructor

You know, my 81' is doing the same thing. Thought about doing that my self. Only thing that stopped me was the glue residue. Let me know if you are going to do it.
Oh, yes it does look like the vinyl dash underneath.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:44 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Funny that you should say 'glue residue'. I stuck my hand in there deeper yesterday and sure enough could feel some adhesive. That's a bummer. It will take a chemist to figure out which solvet to use that will take the adhesive and not the dash...

I think I will pull the windshield and start peeling but will be ready to replace the dash with a new one. A carbon fiber piece would be nice anyway.

George
Old 08-17-2003, 10:53 PM
timlooney
Instructor

Do you think that Goo-Gone would work. I have used it to remove labels and adhesive from everything including the dog and the good china.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Trust me
Instructor

Just a little worried if will melt the plastic. (Goo-gone). I did not plan on taking the windshield out to do this. Thought maybe if it did not work out I would just do a plastic dash cover. Thoughts?

Troy
Old 08-18-2003, 02:48 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Troy:

I really think you should not worry and give it a shot. Then you can let us all know how it worked out and which substances didn't melt the dash with the goo!

Winter will force me to put a new windshield seal. It will be a while but I sure will find out for you guys if a vinyl dash is salvageable after being under the leather. The glue can't be much good, otherwise the self-peeling never would have started!

Cheers, George
Old 08-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm suprised that you have to remove the windscreen to take off the dash top. Are you sure you have to?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

hi,

I would guess that there is no way that you will get the leather off and leave the dash looking in any way presentable afterwards. The glue will not easily come of and the dash will probably be very stained. I would take it to an upholsterer and get them to remove the leather, clean off the glue and make you a new leather cover. It would probably be cheaper than a new dash, much easier and would look great.

Good luck

Ade.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Andy Roe
I'm suprised that you have to remove the windscreen to take off the dash top. Are you sure you have to?
On George's '81, the windshield does need to be removed to access the vertical screws that hold down the leading edge of the dash. No other way to get to them.

On the '86 and later cars, however, with the larger vents and the long single defroster vent, there is no need or advantage in removing the windshield to remove the dash. These later dashes did not extend as close to the base of the windshield, nor did they have the vertical screws of the earlier dashes at the leading edge.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
sschmerg
Racer

That's interesting Tim...I did not know that! My dash is good now, but that's nice to know in case I ever have to replace it.

-Sean
Old 08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
jim912928
Racer

I updated my 80SC with an 86 dash while I had my windshield out. Only thing I had to do was slightly enlarge the center vent opening. Now I don't have to worry about taking that windshield out again if the dash needs to come off!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:34 PM
uli953
Advanced

I have a 84 3.2 C1 and I assume it has the same dash as the SC as it has the same small air vents left/right.

And I can see those srews just behind the windsreeen. I always thought, those screws hold back the leather only...

So that´s right: 84 C1 has still old SC dash ?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by uli953
I have a 84 3.2 C1 and I assume it has the same dash as the SC as it has the same small air vents left/right.

And I can see those srews just behind the windsreeen. I always thought, those screws hold back the leather only...

So that´s right: 84 C1 has still old SC dash ?
Correct, the dash was changed with the 1986 model year.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:05 PM
uli953
Advanced

Thanks a lot .

But bad news ! I just got a new front screen and now I have to have changed the leather trim on the dashboard !!

Hey Marc, 951 + 911 targa is a good combination..........

Quick Reply: Peel the leather covered dash = have vinyl come out?