Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Speaker Grill Surrounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone with a good source for the rear speaker grill surrounds; OEM, MattKellett (have PM'd him on Pelican), or otherwise?
The following users liked this post:
mghorayeb (01-07-2021)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:17 PM
TheKneebiter
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Anyone with a good source for the rear speaker grill surrounds; OEM, MattKellett (have PM'd him on Pelican), or otherwise?
I put the Retrosound 4x6 with grills in my 84 Targa because my rear speakers were toast and the grills just starting to crack. The speakers sound good and the grills fit absolutely perfect and in my opinion look much better than the original. Unless you are going concourse I would highly recommend the retrosound.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:39 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you able to find any? I'm looking for a pair. I'll post photos, perhaps mine are not original. I bought replacement on Pelican and they do not match. I called and they said that the part number is correct for my 87 Carrera, but gain, they don't match.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Old 12-30-2020, 02:49 PM
mghorayeb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM repaired complete rear speaker grilles from an ‘86 Carrera coupé.

Hi,
Matt Kellett did get back to me. At the time (about 6 months ago), he had some stock. Matt’s look close to original (are probably better built & better quality), but include only the surround. I think they were around $100 for a pair.
I was surprised that I was able to finally order an OEM set from my local Porsche dealer - they had to place an order from Germany. They were stupidly expensive and included the grilles. If memory serves, close to $400 for the pair!
if you’re interested in my old cracked ones off my ‘86 911 coupé (surrounds & grilles) here they are:

New ones list for $181.52 each! I’ll take $125 shipped in US for these off my ‘86 911 if anyone’s interested. Note the epoxy & gaffer tape. Look great from 3 feet away. Never overtighten...

Last edited by mghorayeb; 12-30-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: In case anyone’s interested.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:19 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

So here is what is in my car, and what Pelican sent. Can anyone tell me if the first two appear to be original? They seem to be very similar to what was posted above by mghorayeb.

What is currently in my 87 Carrera. No brand or part number markings.

Two clean cracks.

What Pelican sent. They say part 944-555-159-00-OEM is correct. It's not even close to what I have, though I cannot say if mine is original.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:13 PM
TheKneebiter
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yours are original. The ones you got from Pelican might be new parts for an old discontinued part.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:08 PM
17yrsWith930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944-555-159-00-OEM , interesting !!

keytohwy,
Very interesting !
But, please clarify for me, the 3rd and 4th pictures are the new ones?
They don't seem the same as each other, or if that is the top and bottom, they are very different than the original ones ..... but most of them broke, so maybe it is a good idea that they are so different.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:59 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Correct. These are new and a shot of the top and bottom.

Originally Posted by 17yrsWith930
keytohwy,
Very interesting !
But, please clarify for me, the 3rd and 4th pictures are the new ones?
They don't seem the same as each other, or if that is the top and bottom, they are very different than the original ones ..... but most of them broke, so maybe it is a good idea that they are so different.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:46 PM
mghorayeb
AutoX

Default Pelican is wrong.

Hi again.
I had included the correct part number in one of my pics. Here it is again, enlarged:
911 555 019 00

Even with a substantial discount, they cost me almost $200.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:17 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I saw that. Just confirming that the new ones hadn't superseded the product number/part. Anyway, yes, I'll ask Pelican to accept it back and they cover shipping.

Thanks for sharing the number. Seems like an easy task for someone with a scanner/3D printer.

Originally Posted by mghorayeb
Hi again.
I had included the correct part number in one of my pics. Here it is again, enlarged:
911 555 019 00

Even with a substantial discount, they cost me almost $200.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:07 PM
mghorayeb
AutoX

Yes, 3-D printing is an option. Not sure how Matt Kellett makes his. Nonetheless, as another OCD air-cooled owner, I sleep much better knowing I have the real deal, even though they cost a pretty penny. I believe Porsche saw $$$ signs so started making the originals again within the last year.
Be very gentle screwing both front and rear grilles in, as they are flimsy, and over tightening them will result in breakage.
Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:15 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep yours are defifinitely original. I’ve had several pairs of these and nearly all break right where yours did or the screws push through the holes hogging them out requiring larger headed (and uglier) screws.

The Pelican ones with 944 prefix appear to be a beefier version with stouter profile that *may* have superceded but the other 911-part numbered units look far closer to stock.

Their reply will be interesting.

Anyway, I’ve fixed a few pairs by cutting an aluminum backing plate and epoxying that under the vulnerable spots. Topping with SEM trim black makes the repair virtually invisible.

Just an option for you. I can do yours if you want to PM me.

Either way, I hope this works out. It’s funny how these seemingly small things can drive us to want them just right. I think they call it obsession!

Last edited by Adams; 01-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Grill Surrounds