1977 911s, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Nikita
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1977 911s, HELP

Hi,
I have two broad questions, any suggestions are really appreciated.
I recently picked up a '77 911s. The engine has been rebuilt and the '77 2.7L problems have been fixed.

1. Obviously I want to get more HP out of my Porsche. I would like to hear people's opinions about either modifying the 2.7 (is it really worth the effort), or putting in a new engine (what gives the most bank for the buck).

2. When I slam the car into gear, I hear grinding, mostly in second and third. If I switch gears gently, everything is fine. Have any of you had similar problems? Am I looking at a 915 rebuild or new bushings and some swepco?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Please share your experience, anything will help, since I am new to the world of Porsche.

Thanks
Nikita
Old 08-24-2003, 03:30 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Nikita:

The very first I will tell you is NOT to "slam" the car into gear. Porsche transmissions are not designed for this treatment and your pocketbook will be the worse for doing so,....

Just shift it gently and it lasts a very long time. I'd venture that your syncros are somewhat worn and rushing them will only beat up the gears,... Use the Swepco # 201 tranny lube and you'll be happier. If its still grinding, then its time for an overhaul.

These engines run very well when all the 2.7 issues are addressed, but any CIS engine is not easy modifyable unless many things are changed and I'd suggest a 3.2 or 3.6 if you want a better power-to-weight ratio.

I'd suggest that you upgrade the suspension before you do anything else as thats the biggest bang-for-the-buck in overall performance.

You should first decide on what you want the car to do, before you spend a dime. Planning is paramount to avoid wasting money and doing things twice.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:48 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

as far as engine, i think it all depends on how much you wanna put into it, and how serious you are about an engine swap, how much originality means to you etc. most people go to a 3.0 or 3.3 sc engine if they do a swap.

swepco is the right stuff. you want to use swepco 201.
203 is good too, but the type of stuff in it (sorry its late and i cant remeber what it is exactly), but its not good for the gear box. so i would suggest 201 for the 915 gear box above everything else.

are you nicking gears when you shift? usually when i shift really hard and slam the hell out of the gears i find i nick gears, or put alot of stress on the shift linkage (i didnt do that for long after i got the car as i quickly discovered sweet soft and smooth was what was best!). do you have a short shift kit in it? those are a big cause of wear and tear on gear boxes and linkage, as well as alot of nicking when you slam into gear. if so what kind? most people have weltmeister short shift kits and to be honest, they are not the best thing to have for the car. here is some stuff to check out on short shifters if you have or are thinking of getting one. these are for the 901, but they are developed on the ones they did for the 915.. so im sure they make a shifter for the 915 http://www.bbs912.org/cgi-bin/bay912...mes;read=11134

the syncros are pretty particular to they kinda usage they get. (at least my experience) i dont believe they were made for real heavy gear slaming. maybe you need new syncros? is it when you shift up or down. usually when you need new syncros it does it every time you go down.. but since you say its only when you slam the gears (not smooth gentle shifting), im thinking its not the syncros or the gear box itself, rather than perhaps behavior or bushings. i might be wrong, but usually when those things go, it goes no matter how you shift.

one of the first things i think that should be done when you get an older porsche, other than tune up and oil changes etc, is change the gear bushings. imho, they are not expensive, and its well worth knowing that they were changed recently (and they do indeed make a world of difference in how smooth your shifter is.)

sorry if thats just a big hodge podge of stuff, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:51 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

ok steve beat me to it!
Old 08-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Zeke
Advanced

Check and adjust clutch first. Then do a comprehensive tune-up to be sure you're getting all that the 2.7 has to offer. Many say that the 2.7 has as much pep at 4000-6000 rpm as the 3.0. And I know you don't want to hear it, but the car is not made for straight line drag racing. It may not get you from corner to corner fastest, but it will out handle most and leave a big grin on your face. As with people, find out the best aspects of the car and focus there.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Trust me
Instructor

Or, You can sell me the 2.7 and save me a re-build. LOL
Old 08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Nikita
5th Gear

Default Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all the informative replies. I think I'll try to correct the shifting, then upgrade the suspension. Engine modifications are last on my list for now.

As far as the purpose of the car, I'd like to get some track time in it once in a while (nothing too serious) and be able to take the targa top off on Sunday and go to the beach during the summer. Street drivability is not really a concern for me.

Thanks again.

Nikita
Old 08-25-2003, 03:56 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Nikita:

Although "street drivability" is not a major priority, smog compliance in your state is, and all engine modifications and or swaps should be done with that in mind.

Do your homework and you'll be rewarded with an excellent running (and handling) car,....

I'd suggest the '74 style heat exchangers and a good sport muffler for a better performing (10-12 HP) and cooler running engine. We use SSI's and a Monty Muffler.

Also, I'd budget some $$$ for installing a front oil cooler if you do not have one. This is paramount for proper engine life, regardless whether its the 2.7 or something bigger.

Quick Reply: 1977 911s, HELP