Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Introduction and....Clown Feet

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Throttle Lift
I drove the '86 yesterday and very few of my preconceptions were confirmed. After all the reading, I expected that it would take some time to adjust to the pedal layout, the lack of power steering and brakes, the quirky 915 tranny, and the lack of creature comforts, etc. However, none of those were of any concern after only about 10 minutes of driving.

After all the reading, I was determined to keep the revs high to experience all the wonderfulness of the 3.2 north of 4k RPMS. Unfortunately, that was another expectation not met. There was no extra thrill to be had as the revs climbed. I expected it to keep pulling well into the 6k range. The engine got louder but there was no kick in the butt. I've owned or driven several N/A performance cars and I just loved the way those engines kept pulling to the redline. That's what I thought I would get here but didn't. Perhaps this particular car was a poor example or I'm just used to having an additional 200 HP...don't know?

The one expectation that was met was the go-kart handling. After about 30 minutes I was finally able to find a high speed turn and I was floored by the balance. Very little roll with no awkward weight transfer. The entire car moved as one throughout the corner. It's hard to articlulate but you probably understand. It's not hype, it's real.

So that's my first experience and I'm glad I did it. But overall, I've concluded that Florida's roads suck for real sports cars. They are long, flat and devoid of any good curves. For me to really enjoy the car and its wonderful handling, i'd have to go out on the road at night like the Midnight Rambler. The local gendarmes would likely disapprove. This car was made to be a canyon carving, road course eating machine. It would be a blast for those and I'm jealous of you guys that have these available to you. But there's nothing around me like that. As much as I love the look of 80's Carreras, I wouldn't be able to enjoy its charms. I will probably stick with my modern boulevard cruisers with crazy high limits I'll never enjoy .

One more reason not to live in Florida!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
One more reason not to live in Florida!
Lol. I was born in raised in PA. There was one particular stretch (Rt. 286 for the locals) of 2-3 lane road that wound through nothingness that I loved to drive. It was about 15 miles or so of twisties, hills, blind curves, and general goodness. The most fun car I owned for that stretch was my old 16v Scirocco. The 911 would have blown my mind.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like she needs a German tune up.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Sounds like she needs a German tune up.
I was secretly hoping someone would say that. Perhaps if the performance were more in line with what I've read I would have come away with a different opinion. I'll drive a few more. Couldn't hurt, could it?

Quick Reply: Introduction and....Clown Feet