Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Smart money....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...arga-right-now
Old 10-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Funny article, at least to me.

Seems like that 'ship has already sailed', leaving no bargains for long OR short-hood cars any longer. Good ones (never mind excellent examples) now command big prices without any letup in the immediate future. Rolling, self-powered parts cars are just that and are worth the sum of their (rare) parts.

Bloomberg was really late on publishing this unless they wished to reinforce demand and thus drive prices upward even more.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

No. Bloomberg is wrong. Listen to the guys here. targa suck. Nobody wants them. $15,000 cars all day long.

Message me your car for sale. I'll buy 3 or 4.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

makes me want to start actually bolting mine back together
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

No question that the Targa certainly appeals to those of us who favor a bit of quirkyness (a word?)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree about missing the boat on air cooled cars in general however the article does make an interesting point about Targas. Relatively speaking they may be the "bargain" for some years/models. The trend could certainly turn at some point. Hey, who would have guessed 964's would command more than a 993 10 years ago! Trends can certainly change!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see Targa's offering better value than coupe's ... They have always been marked down by some % be it 15 or 20 or whatever and can't see that changing.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cut her a break, she got 2 days to collect some info on an article.

Typically, Targas and Coupes appeal to a different buyer, and they are both willing to pay roughly the same price.

Surprisingly, 911 Cabs trail the market... in most cases, a convertible is worth 2+ times what the coupe is worth... the only outliers are 300SL Gullwings, and 911s.

If I were a speculator I'd go out and buy every 3.2 Cab I could find.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Surprisingly, 911 Cabs trail the market... in most cases, a convertible is worth 2+ times what the coupe is worth... the only outliers are 300SL Gullwings, and 911s.
There is a good reason classic cabs are usually more expensive and in most cases its coz they are just prettier & hence more desireable which of course is not the case with 911, the simple beauty of 911 in coupe form uninterrupted by even a sunroof or rear wiper is the holly grail for most enthusiasts.

The gullwing vs SL roadster is a different story mainly due to the novelty of gullwing doors but the difference is getting less by the decade. A decade or two ago gullwing a were 4x the price of roadsters but nowadays its somewhere between 1.6 to 2 times the price.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:26 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
There is a good reason classic cabs are usually more expensive and in most cases its coz they are just prettier & hence more desireable which of course is not the case with 911, the simple beauty of 911 in coupe form uninterrupted by even a sunroof or rear wiper is the holly grail for most enthusiasts.

The gullwing vs SL roadster is a different story mainly due to the novelty of gullwing doors but the difference is getting less by the decade. A decade or two ago gullwing a were 4x the price of roadsters but nowadays its somewhere between 1.6 to 2 times the price.
I agree that the 911 Coupe is by far the best looking version of the car... I have both. I bought the targa 20 years ago because I like convertibles... but now I have 4 convertibles, and the targa is my least favorite... it is fiddly, loud, leaky, and not as attractive as the coupe... but I own it and I'm keeping it.

Also, check prices... 300SL Roadsters and Coupes are at price parity... someone who bought a roadster back in the day got a very nice payday.

I still say that a 3.2 Cab is undervalued for a long-term investor.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S

Typically, Targas and Coupes appeal to a different buyer, and they are both willing to pay roughly the same price.
Totally agree. On enthusiasts sites like RL and Pelican you always have the majority favouring the coupe. But most here are enthustiast drivers. And I agree on the comment about the lines. There's nothing like a 911 coupe.

However, this summer when I was targa shopping I struggled to find the car I wanted. I was specific. I wanted a 74 or 75 targa. I did not find on in a timely fashion and "settled" on a 74 non-sunroof coupe. When it comes out of paint sometime next month it will be a very pretty car. Will I keep it more than a year or two? I'm not really sure I will because the fact that it is not a "convertible" will always be a ding in my eyes. There may come a day when I post a WTT looking for someone who settled on a targa that really wants a coupe. And in the end we will both be happy.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

I think targas deserve more love. It may be loud and fiddly and all, but to me it is now an iconic part of porsche heritage.

And they named it after a badass race on dirt roads and city streets in the Sicily countryside.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I think targas deserve more love. It may be loud and fiddly and all, but to me it is now an iconic part of porsche heritage.

And they named it after a badass race on dirt roads and city streets in the Sicily countryside.
I took mine down PCH today with the top off. Targas are cool.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Targa and the wife loves it even more. We've been all over western North America in her.....yeah it's loud but you save on repairing the Blaupunkt.....no point. There is no question that a coupe is far prettier than a cab or Targa in the 911 body style but there is something awfully cool being immersed in all that air-cooled sound track. Lots of fun and certainly fully capable as an driving enthusiasts car. None of these cars are nearly as fast or capable as the newer models but I get the impression that many on the board think Targa buyers/owners don't take the actual driving of their 911 as serious fun......those people would be wrong LOL. Cheers
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I used to prefer the targa to the coupe. Better visibility and headroom some of the open air motoring without the horrid look of the cab roof.

But wind and water leaks and the fact that the roof rarely came off...coupe forever more....

Quick Reply: Smart money....