Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Future lurker..hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

thank goodness my son never put any of those pennies in the engine. This is the first I'm seeing those,... and he used to bunk stuff everywhere!! Lol.

Thanks freesaints. It's all good (in the hood)

Hey Bksyoon,... and back to your original point,... yes I actually agree with your thinking,... that buying a "sorted" car, even one that has been modified, is a good way to go. Plus even a car that might have been tracked is not so bad. The frames & bodies of these cars can take a beating for decades & still come out fine. As long as someone kept up with the not-so-flashy parts (bearings, half-shafts, bushings, etc), which most guys who have them on the track do indeed pay attention to. And for a long time it was tough for any of us to get the money (that we put into our rides), back out of them upon sale,.. but now of course air-cooled prices have obviously jumped,... but even still, a car like this has probably had a lot time, money & effort put into it (& a lot of personal preference choices),... but in the end you're getting a car that someone spent time on. Better that, then finding a forgotten car that needs a ton of work.

- personally I love that this one is now a sunroof delete. And it's a 3.2l
- The '79 metal was galvanized, but not fool proof on rust prevention, and this one looks like there may be a few spots they missed (base of windshield on both sides? Looks like maybe a bit of bubbling in that spot. But it clearly spent a lot of time in the body shop when they were fitting the bumpers & removing sunroof, so hopefully they would have looked there too.
- This one may be loud too with that header exhaust, so be ready to spend some money right out of the gate to get it where you want it on the street. Due to the headers, you're not going to have any heat either...
- It leaks too though, so be ready for that. But at least it's a aluminum case & not the mag.
... anyway,... just thought I would try to add value here, instead of just going off topic.

auction seems to have stalled out a bit at $22.5 with 3 days left,... me personally I would not go much higher than $25k, but that's me (& prices in my head are stuck back by 7-8 yrs).

GL with your search. Find one that "speaks" to you.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-18-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you! I resent that water cooled comment btw

So Un/fortunately I was up late last night doing a little more research and sorted out exactly what I was looking for. I would love to have an SC project, widebody seems to be the attractive choice, but I also want to get my wife into a porsche (love the pics, I want it to be a family affair). Her style is definitely the pre bumper car era, 69-73' so I'll have to put my fun on hold and mess with my water cooled atrocity for a few more years . In any case I quickly figured out these are not nearly in the same price range as the SC's. Women are amazing, she knows close to nothing about cars but can pick the most expensive one out in an instant... But she's worth it
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

you want to find a '74 (or a later middie with the narrower body and an SC or 3.2L motor in it) or roll the dice on engine longevity (while the odds are in your favor, the motor might blow)

be sure there is NOT any rust

Show your wife the prices on the early cars, and tell her you can make the middies "look just like this" with FG parts
Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

oh yeh - the 996 engine is lighter, smaller dimensionally, quieter, and makes more power than an air cooled motor
Old 04-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Well that is great news, I'll still be able to build a car, win-win. So from what I gather the 74' and later middies have the body style I'm looking and I can fairly easily get the look of a 912 or pre bumper car? Can this be done with a narrow body SC to ensure the rust won't be an issue? Also is FG a company or does it stand for something else.

http://www.fgclassic.com/porsche/en/

Many thanks...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Two threads asking for opinions about the same car at the same time? Wow.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

FG = fiberglass
Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by raspritz
Two threads asking for opinions about the same car at the same time? Wow.
That is funny. I just noticed that, guess it's not for anyone from what I'm reading.

Does this sound too good to be true?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28749075
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Does this sound too good to be true?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28749075
It sure does. I'm doing a full resto of a '69 and I have almost twice that amount into it. Grab it if you can. It's worth that much for the parts.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always had 84-89 Carreras but I have been bitten by that 964 blob bug. How is the a/c in a 964 vs an 84-89? Do I still need a griffiths condenser/lines setup to get proper a/c? I don't want an AWD though...
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by crixer
I have always had 84-89 Carreras but I have been bitten by that 964 blob bug. How is the a/c in a 964 vs an 84-89? Do I still need a griffiths condenser/lines setup to get proper a/c? I don't want an AWD though...
comparing my '79 SC to my '91 964T is like night & day. A/C blows ice cold year after year in my '91.

Of course I also upgraded my refrigerant from R12 to R134 (which requires a conversion kit with new Schrader valve, etc). But well worth it.

=Steve
Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

It sure does. I'm doing a full resto of a '69 and I have almost twice that amount into it. Grab it if you can. It's worth that much for the parts.
Grab it if it really exists. See the real car, not a photo (which may be of a different car), and inspect carefully
Old 04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

This address appears to be a random parking lot and has quite a few 912's listed. It does sound like a scam but I emailed anyway, would definitely make a flight out if it looks legit. However after looking at the conversion route I'm pretty set on finding a good 964 base and doing the retro conversion. Best of both worlds.

Something even 75% of this car would be a dream...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-new-pics.html
Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bskyoon
Thank you! I resent that water cooled comment btw

So Un/fortunately I was up late last night doing a little more research and sorted out exactly what I was looking for. I would love to have an SC project, widebody seems to be the attractive choice, but I also want to get my wife into a porsche (love the pics, I want it to be a family affair). Her style is definitely the pre bumper car era, 69-73' so I'll have to put my fun on hold and mess with my water cooled atrocity for a few more years . In any case I quickly figured out these are not nearly in the same price range as the SC's. Women are amazing, she knows close to nothing about cars but can pick the most expensive one out in an instant... But she's worth it
My '73 T is easily worth 50% more than my 550HP Ruf converted 996 Turbo. So go figure.

(And for all the water cooled hate, who'd refuse a 935K3, Moby Dick, etc.?)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No kidding. Cousin picked up a disassembled, never any rust ever, numbers matching '69 E about a year ago for $50K. He's into it that much again in parts/paint alone. And he's a little bit handy, photo of his latest we had out last Wednesday.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Future lurker..hopefully