930 Shifting Improvement Tips Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 930 Shifting Improvement Tips Wanted

Hi all:

I would like to solicit input on ways to improve the vague shifting and long throws on my 930. I am used to the shifting in my Mazda RX-7 & MIATA (snickety snick). I recently put in a Short Shift Kit in my 86 951 with a spherical bearing and wow what a difference. I would like to get to the same point with the 930 4 speed in my Strosek 911 Turbo.

I do not plan on racing the car but just want it to shift easier and smoother thak what I have now. I have heard that I could take several routes to improving things.

1) Put in new shifter bushing and coupler bushings and install a Weltmeister Short Shift kit (most economical solution).

2) Install a WEVO or RENNSHIFT complete shifter and coupler (Most expensive solution). Which is better or are they equivalent?

If I go Route 1) will this provide a significant improvement over stock and how much more improvement would I get going all the way to Route 2)? Is it really worth the extra money?

Finally, does anyone have a slightly used but in good working condition of any of the above that they would like to find a new home for?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 AM
porsche2fst4you
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No parts for you , sorry. I recently put a weltmeister in my car though and I love it. The spacing of reverse/first is a little difficult (too close) but with some really fine adjustments it works great.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in the Ruf short shift kit, chaged the bushing and hell it feels heaps better. Off course you cant compare to the 993 type of shifting.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Aspemo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do this by your self if you have the right tools. And the result is good. Take a part the shifter, the shifting stick and the tower. Drill a hole, you must use a special drill for the hard steel, 15 mm lower down in the stick and corresponding hole in the tower 15 mm upwards. The small one at the oposite side and the big one at the other side. So that the big hole will be 15 mm upwrds at the oposite side as the orginal big hole.
This will give you a shorter way both sideways and front back.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the input!

Hi all:

Thanks for the input! I have decided to order the Weltmeister kit and replace all of the bushings. I imagine that this will make it as good as it's going to get and bring everything back to as new condition.

Best regards!

Tom

Quick Reply: 930 Shifting Improvement Tips Wanted