Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

The good, The bad and the UGLY! (56K warning)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:35 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The good, The bad and the UGLY! (56K warning)

The good:
Kinesis K18R's, full polish.
18x8.5 + Falken RT615 225/40/18 fronts and 18x11.5 + Falken RT615 315/30.18 rears....

The bad:
originally we wanted to get as much dish as possible.
Nicole at Kinesis, (who was nothing but a ton of help! thanks again Nicole) said that they have never really done anything bigger than a 11" wide rear with a 3.5" outer on a 930T.
i pressed the issue and got her to build me a test-fit wheel with a 4" outter.
tried to play around with the offset and back spacing to get more rear dish but alas, anything bigger than a 4" outter would have been 3-6months away... not in the time frame i was hoping for.

after getting the wheels from Kinesis i test fit them, removed the factory 1" spacer and replaced with a 14mm H&R. thinking everything was fine and dandy drove the car around for a while once the wheels were on. later I noticed a lot of little black chunks on the passeneger rear wheel. pull off the wheel to see the tire was rubbing on the oil lines. had a set of 7mm spacers handy, tossed those on and i have about 5mm of clearence now that i have worn the inner lip protector off!
take the car for a boot and no more rub, not that i could hear it over the car anyways...
got home, pulled the wheels off the rear again and put the factory 1" spacer back on.

Now for those interested, the rear is 11.5" wide with a 7.6" back spacing and a 34et on the smallest caliper padding center Kinesis offers. i still have about 1/2-3/4" of space between the outter edge of the tire and the inner edge of the rear fender, so you COULD go up to a 12" rear with the factory spacer. if you opt for the next size up of center it adds about .75" which would clear the oil lines without the factory spacer and you should have a 11.5" rear with no fitment no problems

HOWEVER***
if, like me, you are in search of the most possible rear dish. you should be able to keep the smallest padded center, cut 1" off the back spacing down to 6.6" and step up to a 5" outter to get to the same 11.5" width with still 1/2-3/4" of gap between the tire and fender.

OR go crazy and get a 5.5" outter for a full 12" wide rear.

but expect a crazy lead-in time for this as when we ordered our K18R's the 4" outer in the 18" needed to be custom made as nobody stocked them.

Now, running a 315/30 RT615 on a 11.5" rim offers up a very mild amount of stretch, very mild, and is at the upper limit of Falken's "Suggested" rim width.
IMHO, you could run a 12" rear on this setup on the same tire without rubbing as the tire would be stretched just enough the clear the fender lip perfectly.

now for the ugly:
on the front passenger side, there is a oddly angled support of some sort, it does not exsist on the driver side.... Perhaps a support for the oil cooler?
i noticed this when mounting the rims and tires on the car and turned the wheels to make sure it cleared which it did by about 5mm or so.
HOWEVER, last night i was making a fairly tight and quick left turn and all of a sudden "zzzzzzzzzzip-clunk-BANG!" and the car skipped to the left and the steering wheel kicked to the right. get out with a big WTF? check it out and this is what i see...

that metal support chewed right into the outter sholder of the tire almost shearing off an entire tread-block! these pics do not show the full extent of the tire damage. so this morning i had to pull the wheel and cut about 1" off that support and still need to trim about another 5mm off as it still rubs slightly on hard left corners.
the tire is still safe to drive on although the damaged outter shoulder means hard left cornering will be compramised a bit but i will probably end up replacing the tire in the next few weeks anyways.

I'm actually amazed that the front suspension would deflect so much under a relitively low speed(15mph)and low load corner that this would have been an issue. it was such a hard "BANG" that it ripped one of the little 8mm head nuts that holds the bumper to the the fenderright out of the fender, easily fixed but still....

anyways, just thought i would share with you guys.... works well now and i think it looks great.

Opinions? Questions? Comments? Flames?

Mitch
Old 09-02-2006, 10:05 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the wheels.

Sorry to see the damage, but at least it's the tire. It's hard to get every measurement just right on the first try. Do you have the stock suspension? If so there is some play in and even going slow, you'll get some lean and play that will cause body parts and line, etc to rub on the tires. Nothing you dont know now. I don't think I would won't to have less than 1/2'' gap on the inside and outside for clearance issues. Getting down to mm's is cutting it too close for me.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:32 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

When you say "dish" you mean "lip"...or are you referring to the least amount of positive offset?

With these cars, I am realizing you cannot get crazy with:
1) Making them too low
2) Getting too greedy with the lip

I can relate to your front tire incident, same thing happened to me in Summer when I lowered my car and installed my HREs..that is the aluminum bumper support BTW and a handy dandy angle grinder is what you need to shave it down -or- raise the front of your car (choice is easy....ANGLE GRINDER!)
I had to end up buying a brand new front tire...and throwing away my pre-fitted tire that had a 5miles on it...

Here is my drama:

You're going to have fun polishing those Kinesis rims!! Car looks sharp BTW!

Yasin
Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Why did you want to keep a spacer on there ?

A shim maybe, but why a spacer ?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:34 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to get a 4" lip rear and a 3" lip front with my RH 3.6 3-piece using stock spacers...But then again, I only had a 10" rear and a 9" front. At full load on the dyno, the rear compressed into the fender but no rubbing/clearance issues. Full turn lock-to-lock also saw no rubbing/clearance issues.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:26 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car looks good
Old 09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

I didn't want to, i wanted to get rid of it. but to do so would have meant waiting for 3-6months to get the bigger outter custom made and that just wasn't in the cards....
without the spacer, like i said you could easily run a 5" or even a 5.5" outter lip, you would just have to chop off about 1" from the back spacing on THIS setup.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That's a shame. My wheels were custom made from Braid for a previous owner. Not sure how long he had to wait for them.

http://www.braid.es/braidwheels/desmontables/8fENG.htm

The 18"FM
Old 09-04-2006, 04:22 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Oooooooo, nice looking wheels.
never heard of Braid before... got some pics on the car?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:20 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I wish I took some pics when I bought the car. It was beautifully polished. The pics I saw before viewing were awful. This wasn't one of them as the car has Sparco seats now.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

The support can come out all together.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:38 AM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

really?
do i have to pull the bumper to remove it or can i do it by jacking up one side and removing the oil cooler cover... and the bolts/nuts are right there?

Quick Reply: The good, The bad and the UGLY! (56K warning)