911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Is this a true Ruf?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a true Ruf?

Hi all. Anyone know this car? It looks pretty clean and well priced. It just seems a little less than what I'd expect to pay for a Ruf tuned 930.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Olli
Racer

Don't know the car but it does look shiny and well priced with the nice touches on the car.
I did not notice much said of the engine except that they said it was a 3.3. The RUF BTRs were 3.4.
They also had Group B cams and flowed injector blocks. It also looked to me like the IC was stock and not RUF and the exhaust system some aftermarket other than RUF.

RUF had a 5 speed transmission and at least in 89 some of them were 6 speed. This ad stated that the transmission was 4 speed.

The VIN looks like a Porsche VIN and not RUF. Of course that does not mean that RUF did not do this conversion, but if they touched this car, looks like they did mainly cosmetic changes.

But even if the ad did stretch the truth a little, it still looks real great and assuming all checks out with a PPI it also looks like a nicely priced car.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 PM
DDD
Pro

The intercooler appears to be a ruf/andial long neck style.

I have never seen a car like this. It is clearly not based on the yellowbird, and the front bumper is not the ruf yellowbird bumper either.

It is a nice car, but unless it really has some significance to the 'ruf' thing besides cosmetics, it is essentially just a regular clean 930 of no particular importance.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:05 AM
DRV2FST
Instructor

I looked at this car a couple of years ago and passed on it. It is not a RUF. It has RUF wheels (denloc) and RUF floor mats and rear seat mat. It has some RUF Gauges. I remembered it as having the RUF 3.4 upgrade but the dealer claims it is stock 3.3.

The car does look fantastic. There are some oddities:
1) The original owner installed an elaborate stereo system with several custom speaker locations in the late 80's. All of that could be removed but you would have several interior panels to replace.
2) There is an elaborate 80's vintage alarm system.
3) There is an odd kill switch hidden under the lower dash panel above the drivers left knee. It kills the fuel pumps. It was causing trouble when I looked at the car and was one of the reasons that I passed.
4) There is a CHT gauge on the drivers door.
5) There is a clock installed on the passengers door.
6) There are two small stubby cell phone antenna's on each front fender just in front of the windshield.
7) There was a switch somewhere that would disable all the lights visible from the rear of the car. Presumably this was for evading pursuers at night.

I tried to drive it two times and only got about 10 miles away. The car just stopped as if it ran out of gas. A mechanic worked on it all day, claimed it was fixed. I tried it again and got the same result. This time I flew home. They were asking $35k at that time. Although that was another dealer. I think it only had 38k miles on it then so maybe they have fixed the problem I experienced.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Originally Posted by DRV2FST
I looked at this car a couple of years ago and passed on it. It is not a RUF. It has RUF wheels (denloc) and RUF floor mats and rear seat mat. It has some RUF Gauges. I remembered it as having the RUF 3.4 upgrade but the dealer claims it is stock 3.3.

The car does look fantastic. There are some oddities:
1) The original owner installed an elaborate stereo system with several custom speaker locations in the late 80's. All of that could be removed but you would have several interior panels to replace.
2) There is an elaborate 80's vintage alarm system.
3) There is an odd kill switch hidden under the lower dash panel above the drivers left knee. It kills the fuel pumps. It was causing trouble when I looked at the car and was one of the reasons that I passed.
4) There is a CHT gauge on the drivers door.
5) There is a clock installed on the passengers door.
6) There are two small stubby cell phone antenna's on each front fender just in front of the windshield.
7) There was a switch somewhere that would disable all the lights visible from the rear of the car. Presumably this was for evading pursuers at night.

I tried to drive it two times and only got about 10 miles away. The car just stopped as if it ran out of gas. A mechanic worked on it all day, claimed it was fixed. I tried it again and got the same result. This time I flew home. They were asking $35k at that time. Although that was another dealer. I think it only had 38k miles on it then so maybe they have fixed the problem I experienced.
Great feedback. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Did Victory detail this car...LOL!

Yasin
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by DDD
The intercooler appears to be a ruf/andial long neck style.
Agreed..the rubber seal made me think of the stock one. However, this is the RUF BTR IC I am familiar with:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

The one fitted is an Andial and also possibly used/sold by Garretson IIRC.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:49 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
The one fitted is an Andial and also possibly used/sold by Garretson IIRC.
Yes, but that is also the same thing as the RUF intercooler. Andial/ruf/garretson shared this intercooler design.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM
DDD
Pro

You should seriously consider rigging up an 'oil slick' button next to the 'kill the rear lights' button.

That stuff comes in handy in a pinch.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Looks like a nice car. BTW Ruf NEVER used that intercooler. That is a Garretson/Andial I/C. The ride height is sort of well SUV ish what is the third window switch for? The steering wheel and gauges are also Ruf but this made me laugh "Ruf light-weight wheels." There were companies here in the US that would convert your stock US 930 to Group B Turbo Ruf spec i.e. 3.4 Mahle Pistons and Cylinders, Intercooler, Group B cams, 17" wheels front air dam to house additional oil cooler Gauge set, optional Ruf five speed gear box, Ruf quad tip exhaust system, optional Matter roll bar optional Ruf/Koenig sport seats, re-valved Bilstein sport shocks and larger sway bars.
The exhaust on the car presently appear to be Fabspeed but could be B&B
Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I should buy the car it would be the Yin to my car's Yang
Old 09-20-2008, 06:06 PM
DRV2FST
Instructor

Default rufish

those wheels are pretty heavy and designed for denloc wheels that no one makes anymore

I think the third window switch is the central locking system but I can't remember for sure
Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

The central locking system is typically on the center console but maybe not the case here.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

What's the small little pipe off (or before) the left exhaust? Sorry if it would be obvious to most; I'm not too turbo savvy.

Quick Reply: Is this a true Ruf?