911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Soiled my skivvies :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soiled my skivvies :-)

A bit bored this afternoon so I went for a drive in the slant... She is running really nice right now....

After an easy run on local roads I finally got to Highway 27 which is a straight run with limited traffic...

Anyway, I start to gain some speed just daydreaming a bit listening to the engine rumble around 2,800rpm in 4th,,,, when all of a sudden a mini van blows by me and one of the kids in the back turns his head and gives me a smirk like they just blew away a Turbo Porsche....

Well, nuff said I thought - I am not getting passed by a frigging Mini Van .... I give it one rev, downshift to 3rd and put my right foot to the floor and keep it there....

I finally get to around 6k, shift to 4th and put my foot back to the floor... Speed is really coming one fast now..... That kid in the mini van is getting closer - quickly...

Here we go - a nice fly by at 140mph.... .... I see all their heads turn as my straight pipes are screaming....

Long story short,,, It was a bit windy and my car needs some suspension work,, felt like I was airborne and a wobbly - I need some new draws

Just kidding - I do need suspension work but it was fun... I dont know how you guys can drive at such high speeds - maybe its my age and fear of death but I kinda like 40-100 better than 100-140..

I am off to do some fishing .... Have a nice weekend guys !!!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope I don't offend anyone...but.....I absolutely hate vans of any type, be they mini or otherwise. It seems that it's always the van drivers that drive like they own a 930 Porsche, always in a rush, cutting through traffic, tailgating, etc. What, is it just the soccer moms running late for their hair appt? Vans are right up there with the antithesis....blue haired old ladies or old men wearing hats. Look out!

Once I surpass 120 mph, my pucker factor starts to increase. Below that I can cruise all day provided Trooper Tom is off having doughnuts somewhere else. My suspension is still stock, but tight (well, I have nothing to compare it against). Still, the combination of wide low profile tires with stiff sidewalls, road pavement irregularities to grab the tires, high speed, and throw in a cross wind.....yepper, it can get just a wee bit dicey at times. The Autobahn our roads are not.

So, did the little kid in the van say "mommy, look!!!" when you blew by them, or did he just drop-drawers and moon you?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
So, did the little kid in the van say "mommy, look!!!" when you blew by them, or did he just drop-drawers and moon you?
I saw all there heads turn and a big smile on the dads face.... I think the dad appreciated the fly by... so did the boys... Mom didn't look pleased
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

highway 27 thats okeechobee right, definetely a great road for some high speed runs!! i seem to alwayds hit it everythim i start it up. We should get together sometime with jdhertz and talk pcars and 930s.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
highway 27 thats okeechobee right, definetely a great road for some high speed runs!! i seem to alwayds hit it everythim i start it up. We should get together sometime with jdhertz and talk pcars and 930s.
Yes,,, 27 is Okeechobee - it goes all the way up to the lake... You can really open her up out there... On weekends its nothing but performance cars and bikes cruising around...

I am always up for a cruise..
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triplenet
Yes,,, 27 is Okeechobee - it goes all the way up to the lake... You can really open her up out there... On weekends its nothing but performance cars and bikes cruising around...
More importantly ........... 27 is the road to Sebring
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sebring I think the Historics this year. The drive there might be the best part. GT2 should be wild. in the regular ALMS ---LMP1 -who cares
Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good road that, i did a run up from Miami via Sebring to see Jim (SRF506) in Florida, rented a Harley, was a nice ride

Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
triplenet
Pro

Nice Harley - I sold my Road King last year..... Miss it all the time
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triplenet
Nice Harley - I sold my Road King last year..... Miss it all the time
Foolish move....

I haven't been Harley-less for over 20 years. Not sure that I could function without one.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Me either I'll never sell the Ultra Classic. That was a great time Jonathan! Need to get together again soon. Hope you, Jess and the 930 are well and sitting someplace warm in the UK.

Geez, I hope that last picture was from before or right after my knee surgery. It must've been right around then 'cause I have the face hair. I didn't shave for a while there. I can at least work out and jog again and I'm down about thirty pounds thank God ;-)
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Foolish move....

I haven't been Harley-less for over 20 years. Not sure that I could function without one.
I miss it every day..... Had a Dyna Glide lowrider then Road King Classic ......... Rice burners and Motox before that... Been riding since I was around 8 - Mopeds you know

Once the kids are off I will go back - 10 more years
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by srf506
Me either I'll never sell the Ultra Classic. That was a great time Jonathan! Need to get together again soon. Hope you, Jess and the 930 are well and sitting someplace warm in the UK.

Geez, I hope that last picture was from before or right after my knee surgery. It must've been right around then 'cause I have the face hair. I didn't shave for a while there. I can at least work out and jog again and I'm down about thirty pounds thank God ;-)
Think it was before your surgery mate, you were hobbling around a bit.
Good memories of that trip up to Orlando, the ride up was great, music playing on a motorbike was a new experience! The ride back down to Miami was hellish, there was a hurricane on it's way in, the rain was pouring and we were being blown all over the place, i was still in flip flops and shorts with no helmet people in cars were looking at me and Jess on the bike like we were mental patients, was an experience i won't forget!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBL930
people in cars were looking at me and Jess on the bike like we were mental patients, was an experience i won't forget!
I've been referred to as "mental" on my bikes more often that I care to remember. Let 'em gawk...they're just jealous 'cause they don't know how to be free.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan,
I was a little concerned about you guys heading down there. I was most worried about you getting wet with no rain gear and getting cold. Only two Brits probably could of made that ride ;-)

Quick Reply: Soiled my skivvies :-)