911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Low miles 930- opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure that low miles ALWAYS equals problems but your car seem to support that meme. I just sold my '87 with 73,000 miles and it still had the original clutch in it as well as the CIS system and fuel pumps. Fuel pumps and clutches are both prone to non use issues or long period of storage. The CIS is a mystic thing that only a handfull of people understand well so I can't comment on it. After I had finished the restoration on my '87 and had it repainted, I had a tendency to not want to take it on anything but no traffic roads due to the stones and debris thrown up by cars ahead of me on the road. So I can only imagine how a very low mileage car like yours would be an even stronger temptation to not drive it. There is nothing wrong with possesing a thing of beauty and to keep it polished and in show room condition any more than owning an antique firearm that could be fired but most likely just displayed. As you stated, any item is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
WGS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

This one just showed up at Autosport Design:

http://www.autosportdesigns.com/Sale...s.aspx?ID=2064

Good to see another Peachtree City, GA member here!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Orange Crush
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whatever you do, buy one to drive it!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^^agree 100%
Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Seriously looking at the 87 slant at porsche roslyn, anybody know this car?
TIA
C
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Orli930
Advanced

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Seriously looking at the 87 slant at porsche roslyn, anybody know this car?
TIA
C
Before you consider this car, this car ad in the autotrader states 30K in work done by Orbit tuning. Contact Orbit Racing in Florida and ask for Rodger. I understand that the car interior was redyed and the engine had more leaks than the "Titanic". Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, you da man!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm with 911rudy. Look for cars that are being driven. Here's an example with 50 miles for $135k:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2326384572.html

I think it will have a ton of problems for whoever buys it at any price. You can't just let machines sit. I would rather buy an example from someone who has been going through a tank of gas every few weeks and is still driving it regularly. Most likely, that'll be a $30-40k car will miles on the high side. This is to say nothing of how much work can be done on the car for the $100k price difference...
Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 PM
89SLANT505
Banned

Originally Posted by spad01
Any car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. There is always a dummy (like myself) who's willing to pay big $ for low miles, but what you said is true, you find yourself not wanting to put miles on it because you fear you won't get your money back out of it. In retropect a nice clean Carrera driver is probably more enjoyable to drive frequently than my 86 blk/blk 930 with 13,675 miles with new clutch, new fuel pumps and new CIS module.( so far)
Im a dummy too! Im constantly overpaying for nice nice pieces. Anyone know of anything nice out there?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Only the original poster can decide what is right for him based on his intentions for the car. If you want to mod and track the car, don't buy a low mileage all original show quality car becuase you are wasting your money. If you want a weekend fun car and you might occasionally show it, then maybe a low mileage all original show quality car is the right choice.

I've seen the arguments for each side, and owned an extremely low mileage show quality car. To be driveable it needed new belts, new hoses, new gaskets and seals on the transmission and camshafts, fuel injectors cleaned, a major service dumping all fluids etc, new tires, and maybe a few other things. All in it ran me about $12,000. I used the car for weekend fun drives and car shows and had lots of fun. I've known other people that bought high mileage cars with crappy interiors, tired motors, with poor paint condition, and in the same period of time they've easily spent more than the $12,000 reconditioning and repairing their cars and some have turned out to be pretty good and others are still mediocre cars. I also know a few guys who bought low mileage cars and they had to put very little into running them. The cost of ownership on an older car is always a bit of a gamble.

In the end, the prices of the cars mentioned by the original poster are well above the market. I can see a show quality low mileage original comanding a premium, but $100K seems insane. While one poster said these cars are not rare, thats only true in the sense of original production numbers. Unmodded, all original, low mileage, non-track rats, are quite rare, hence they command a premium.

Its all up to the original poster what to buy, but whatever he does he should drive it at least on the weekends. These are amazing cars that are best appreciated on the road.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dino944
Only the original poster can decide what is right for him based on his intentions for the car. If you want to mod and track the car, don't buy a low mileage all original show quality car becuase you are wasting your money. If you want a weekend fun car and you might occasionally show it, then maybe a low mileage all original show quality car is the right choice.

I've seen the arguments for each side, and owned an extremely low mileage show quality car. To be driveable it needed new belts, new hoses, new gaskets and seals on the transmission and camshafts, fuel injectors cleaned, a major service dumping all fluids etc, new tires, and maybe a few other things. All in it ran me about $12,000. I used the car for weekend fun drives and car shows and had lots of fun. I've known other people that bought high mileage cars with crappy interiors, tired motors, with poor paint condition, and in the same period of time they've easily spent more than the $12,000 reconditioning and repairing their cars and some have turned out to be pretty good and others are still mediocre cars. I also know a few guys who bought low mileage cars and they had to put very little into running them. The cost of ownership on an older car is always a bit of a gamble.

In the end, the prices of the cars mentioned by the original poster are well above the market. I can see a show quality low mileage original comanding a premium, but $100K seems insane. While one poster said these cars are not rare, thats only true in the sense of original production numbers. Unmodded, all original, low mileage, non-track rats, are quite rare, hence they command a premium.

Its all up to the original poster what to buy, but whatever he does he should drive it at least on the weekends. These are amazing cars that are best appreciated on the road.

Best regards,
Dino
Well said Dino.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
Well said Dino.
Hadn't noticed you are in MA. I hope to see your 86 Turbo at a future PCA event or sports car event. It looks great in silver!

Best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: Low miles 930- opinion?