Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Factory option Dunlop tires in 88?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Factory option Dunlop tires in 88?

I just got the cardex information for my 88 930 cab. I knew about the A/C, heated seats, paint to match wheels- all nice town cruising cab featues. but I found out it came from the factory with Dunlop Tires. That and the LSD makes me curious.
I reached out to the original owner twice via email but no reply, I don't want to stalk him so I need your help to get inside his head.
It struck me odd for a car that's never seen the track to specify LSD and specific tires. It was not a garage queen for him, he drove it 38k miles over 9 years. Was there an article about Dunlop tires at the time? Think this was insurance against oversteer? Why would someone specify Dunlops on factory wheels?
thanks for any thoughts.

Oh and here's a picture of her hiding out on a rainy day.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Dunlop was probably the tire of choice by Porsche at the time and the LSD was just the way most were ordered.

Btw Do you have white gauge faces?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 PM
reachme
Instructor

ok, thanks for the info.
I'm fairly sure the black face gauge faces I have were stock, I think white would have been spelled out as an option. But then a previous owner went through a black phase (black tonneau cover despite blue top/interior and wheels were painted black when I got her last fall). Harvey Weidman put wheels back to GPW and I'm in the market for a new dark blue tonneau cover. That's why I got the cardex info, to verify the top color before purchase.
Do you have white face gauges and is it spelled out as an option, maybe X33?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love these cars in white!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't have the cardex and there are no unrecognizable codes on my option sticker but I do know the car was delivered with white accent wheels and white gauge faces which there are no codes for that I'm aware of.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low bider.........
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
ahenthus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered a new 86 944NA in August 1985 on the Tourist Delivery program and was told I could not specify tires. I believe there were two brands available, Dunlop D40 and Pirelli P6 (P7s on 944T and 911). I didn't know what I had until I was taken into the delivery garage and introduced to my car. It had the P6s. I had also ordered the car with Fuchs, LSD and heavy duty suspension. I'm not sure why you think LSD should only be on track cars. I think it's a great thing to have on any sports car. As best I can remember my 944 did not come with a Monroney sticker but had a factory sticker without the price and price of options. My Fuchs were called 911 wheels. When they took me into the delivery garage my car was parked next to a 911 in the same red/black combo. I asked the guy if I could take delivery of the 911 instead and was courteously rebuffed. As an Army Captain I could not afford the 911 at that time. I fell in love with the 944 though. I put 172K miles on it in 12 years. I got my 930 last year and plan on keeping it forever.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 PM
reachme
Instructor

thank you ahenthus. I see you like red!
LSD is a great thing to have, looks like I wrongly assumed the tires were a special order because it was spelled out like an option. My learning process continues. thanks all

Matt

Quick Reply: Factory option Dunlop tires in 88?