911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

forum value

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default forum value

It seems this forum's focus is more and more centered on want-to-buy, want-to-sell, value estimations, etc. The value of it being an information highway on 'the care and feeding' of these iconic cars is waning somewhat. Nothing wrong with that I guess, maybe just a sign of the times. Simply an observation FWIW.....
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

I would agree with your observation. My assessment would be that the public has become obsessed with quick money, flip this, flip that, etc. and lost focus on most anything else. Sadly, IMO, this is a by-product of out of control monetary policy (loose money, whos the next internet billionaire etc) which is FINALLY coming to an end. The vast majority of people have de-leveraged, yet the gov't took on trillions and trillions of dollars in debt. Well, we all know how this will end. Best to enjoy these beasts while we are able.

End of rant.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
I would agree with your observation. My assessment would be that the public has become obsessed with quick money, flip this, flip that, etc. and lost focus on most anything else. Sadly, IMO, this is a by-product of out of control monetary policy (loose money, whos the next internet billionaire etc) which is FINALLY coming to an end. The vast majority of people have de-leveraged, yet the gov't took on trillions and trillions of dollars in debt. Well, we all know how this will end. Best to enjoy these beasts while we are able.

End of rant.
So what you are saying if I understand you is, the present state of this forum is due to our fiscal policy? I hope I am misunderstanding your post.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackboy
So what you are saying if I understand you is, the present state of this forum is due to our fiscal policy? I hope I am misunderstanding your post.
Translation: I said Monetary policy (read easy, cheap as dirt money) has turned everything into monopoly money, quick fix.......flip this, flip that, nano-trading, micro-blogging....its become our culture and this forum is certainly reflective of culturally driven things. Just a few short years ago I started pricing 930's......they were no-where near the current levels. I see pristine examples now being offered from 100 to 200k (ebay recently). The increases are almost laughable, not in the sense that they can't be justified over some longer term, but in the sense at which they have rebounded since 2008. Everything (yes, including the P-car asset class) has been re-flated, which is what the FED intended to do.....now, at best, its stagflation.....at worst....thats a long story.

Poor fiscal policy is what got us in this mess.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have trouble with anyone seriously thinking these cars are mostly investments. If you take care of it you probably won't lose money, but make money?
If you focus on the fun, the time invested/satisfaction ratio and owning the car you dreamed of as a kid and you gain tremendously. But there are so few cars that gain value as time goes on.
And when they do become too valuable to drive, when you worry about where you park it, car jackings, scratching the paint then it's even less fun.

Maybe people were excited by that article about the last 930, that slant that has never been driven. I loved the story and history but found it depressing. An engine that never runs, a great custom stereo left to corrode. I got more satisfaction from the 944 the guy drove through a frikkin desert. Maybe we need more threads on that, the real value.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

i think pelican is where most of the technical info is and will be
Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by handdoc
i think pelican is where most of the technical info is and will be
Well yeah....that's where I live. Rennlist just doesn't do it for the 930 crowd.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My only complaint with pelican is there is no dedicated 930 section and a lot of the info is how to do modifications.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Rennlist and Pelican are all things 930(in their appropiate section). Pelican tends to lean more to the technical sides of things. Rennlist leans a bit more on the social side of the 930. Both forums are great, it all depends on what you are looking for. Some of us enjoy tinkering, others modding..while others just love to collect the stock rides. Both forums allow us to ask away questions,post pics and sell/buy) without a whole bunch of silly rules(try going on to some wristwatch forums..can be very annoying).

I started on Rennlist and floated over to Pelican(lots of great diy info). If not for these forums my 930/Porsche interst would have probably fizzled. None of my old friends are into Porsche's...So these site are my fix..
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Well yeah....that's where I live. Rennlist just doesn't do it for the 930 crowd.
I agree Mark. but FWIW I think it comes down to the number of owners of 930's. I recently bought a 97 C2 s, so I spend a good deal of time on the 993 forum. There is a lot more tech. stuff and " how too's" than here, but there is also 10 times the number of owners and they tend to use there cars more than us. I could not get over the # of cars with 100k or more being used as daily drivers. If you go over to the 993 turbo forum, I think you will find the postings similar to the 930 forum.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
If you go over to the 993 turbo forum, I think you will find the postings similar to the 930 forum.
Agree. I frequent both as I have both a 930 and 993TT. The 993TT forum here on RL is excellent IMO, as is the 930 forum on Pelican. Yes the latter has a lot of active participants discussing mods but there's also quite a few posters who are real fonts of knowledge for those of us who have original or mostly original cars.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

I have been cruising RL for about 7 years, but only joined in the past year and this is the only "forum" that I have time for (I am not on Pelican or any of the other one due to lack of time). Because of my ownership I go through the Cayenne (rarely), 7GT2, 997TT, and the 930 forums. Each forum definitely has its own culture and atmosphere!!!

I find the 930 forum to not be as "active" as the 997TT or the 7GT2/GT3 forums, but the when help is needed the answers come within a few days. The 7GT2/GT3 seems to be extremely active and you get instantenous replies (and often contrary ones... )

Good place to be for me!...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the 930 I mostly use pelican. I am part of the do it yourself heavily modified drive it like you stole it crowd. As my car was wrecked still in pieces and had a salvage title when I got it. However For the cayenne if you want fix something then rennlist is the place. I you have a bone stock car/ garage queen or spend most of you time making in concourse grade then this forum is better suited for that. both forums were very helpful when i was originally putting it together.

Quick Reply: forum value