911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

how do you drive this beast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default how do you drive this beast?

I've had numerous old 911's and know what happens in a curve when you let off the gas. I am a little scared of this new (for me) 930 (and I've been spoiled by a 914-6). I won't be able to get to a DE until next spring. Is there a source I can read? A video DE? Also, while I don't want to drag race, I haven't figured out how to take off quickly from a stop. Rev the engine high? Don't want to burn out clutch.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If you have a non standard clutch they dont slip....they clamp! My car I have to fully engage the clutch just as I give it gas. If I don't do it right it can be embarrassing.

My race car with it's 180 hp power house has the same type of clutch. My biggest fear in a race is not the first turn from green and all the associated chaos. It's getting the finger point saying it's your turn to go on the track from staging, stalling it, and holding back everyone behind me.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 08-26-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

I am new to the 930 and the closest thing that I had to it was a 1991 964 Turbo around 20 years ago. My 930 is all stock and freshly rebuilt, and I find it to be pretty docile. After tracking and scaring myself many times in a 6GT2 (20K miles worth) the 930 seems like a very nice and civilized car although the no boost to full boost is crazy!!!! ...love the car...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I am new to the 930 and the closest thing that I had to it was a 1991 964 Turbo around 20 years ago. My 930 is all stock and freshly rebuilt, and I find it to be pretty docile. After tracking and scaring myself many times in a 6GT2 (20K miles worth) the 930 seems like a very nice and civilized car although the no boost to full boost is crazy!!!! ...love the car...
And there, my friend, lies your problem. Easy to add another 100 horses with bolt on's alone. The performance gains are night and day vs stock. But even without mods, these are simply fun cars to drive.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I find w/ my 930 ('77 3.0L - mostly original) when taking off in 1st I have to progressively roll on the throttle as I release clutch pedal more so than in other p-cars. In other words, the revs drop more significantly as clutch is released. I think it's mainly because the 930 transmission is obviously only 4 speeds and 1st is geared taller than most other 911s of similar era or your 914-6.

I don't track my 930 or street race, but I like a spirited drive as much as the next person. YMMV but for me revving high and then dropping clutch tends to burn clutch and doesn't actually launch that quickly. When boost hits especially in 1st though it'll climb very fast to redline... boost hits between 3-4k but then <1 second before you have to grab 2nd so be ready.

Lee

Last edited by lee88; 08-27-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lee88
I find w/ my 930 ('77 3.0L - mostly original) when taking off in 1st I have to progressively roll on the throttle as I release clutch pedal more so than in other p-cars. In other words, the revs drop more significantly as clutch is released. I think it's mainly because the 930 transmission is obviously only 4 speeds and 1st is geared taller than most other 911s of similar era or your 914-6.Lee
That's a pretty good description of how to launch these cars. One thing about a stock 930 with 4 speed and stock flywheel and pressure plate (heavy, massive things vs. lightweight aluminum) is that all that mass serves as rotational momentum, allowing the torque to build and pull the car along, vs. smoking the tires at the start.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

I have not stalled the 930 yet...I have become "one" with my machine!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by lee88
I find w/ my 930 ('77 3.0L - mostly original) when taking off in 1st I have to progressively roll on the throttle as I release clutch pedal more so than in other p-cars. In other words, the revs drop more significantly as clutch is released. I think it's mainly because the 930 transmission is obviously only 4 speeds and 1st is geared taller than most other 911s of similar era or your 914-6.

Lee
The lower compression sans the boost doesn't help either.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Komenda Fan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the track, based on my so far limited experience, your biggest problem will be the brakes if they are still stock. If you drive them quite aggressively, they will fade quickly, as Porsche didn't make them big enough until the 3.3 litre cars came out. I boiled the fluid and dove into turn 7 at Toronto Motorsport Park to find no brakes. I had been lapping conservatively for about 25 minutes, then I got a bit excited when I realized I was slowly catching a Lotus Exige, so naturally I started pushing harder, and there went the brakes.

Other than that, don't trail brake, and get her straight before hammering the boost.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
pete77930
Racer

I don't understand why you would advise against trail braking in a 911? The whole advantage coming into a corner in a 911 is it takes a lot more to overload the front end then on most cars...trail braking has always been my friend, and with the turbo lag I can pretty much go full throttle at the apex and as the boost builds leaving the corner I'm finally at full power when the cars straight. almost like traction control, with just some wiggling when I'm really pushing.

Personally I find a 930 much less intimidating on the race track compared to the street. on the street you go from nothing to everything all the time power wise. on the track your always on the pipe/in the boost and the violent transition from no boost/boost isn't there like when pulling away from a light.

P.S. they like to be driven with cojones!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
I've had numerous old 911's and know what happens in a curve when you let off the gas. I am a little scared of this new (for me) 930 (and I've been spoiled by a 914-6). I won't be able to get to a DE until next spring. Is there a source I can read? A video DE? Also, while I don't want to drag race, I haven't figured out how to take off quickly from a stop. Rev the engine high? Don't want to burn out clutch.
One rule of thumb that I follow is to go through the suspension when I make a purchase. If shocks,struts and bushings are old the car will handle like crap. This is where some aftermarket suspension parts shine..as they can make the car more enjoyable when spirited driving...at the very least replaced them with stock items.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by pete77930
I don't understand why you would advise against trail braking in a 911? The whole advantage coming into a corner in a 911 is it takes a lot more to overload the front end then on most cars...trail braking has always been my friend, and with the turbo lag I can pretty much go full throttle at the apex and as the boost builds leaving the corner I'm finally at full power when the cars straight. almost like traction control, with just some wiggling when I'm really pushing.

Personally I find a 930 much less intimidating on the race track compared to the street. on the street you go from nothing to everything all the time power wise. on the track your always on the pipe/in the boost and the violent transition from no boost/boost isn't there like when pulling away from a light.

P.S. they like to be driven with cojones!
I am with you on this. I cut-my-teeth so to speak in my dad's 930 at Sebring and never really found the car was that difficult to drive with the rear-engine layout. Had no problem eating through the crowd at solo DEs too many years ago. I had been driving that car for years (first time when legal, or maybe earlier, can't remember).

As you indicate, anticipating boost and controlling it is key but not that hard in non-low speed corners. On r-compounds it can be a bit like driving a boat floating through an apex. Easy-peasy.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

lowest trap times when dragging rev to 4k then let off the clutch same time as flooring it and hang on.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

I only got to try the drag strip a few times when I had my 930 and I never really got it right. Always wondered how fast my car could've been with a competent (drag strip) driver.

I tried to do the rev to 4K launch with quick off the clutch while flooring it but bogged it a lot. I got a "consistent" (but slow) launch if I eased off the clutch (after slightly riding it) while gradually adding gas. So I'm guessing there would've been a sweet spot in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: how do you drive this beast?