911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Front Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Squeal

Just replaced front brake pads and rebuildt the calipers. The brakes worked great to start with for a day or two. Then they started squealing. Pads have the liner in contact with the caliper pistons. Piston shoulder is oriented correctly. Even tried lube on the pad and piston contact. No help. Light braking no problem. Heavy parking at speed no problem. They squeal when I apply pressure coming to end of a stop. They are ok when cold for a block or two, then they start to squeal.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Are they race or performance pads? Did you bed them in?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Handy930
Racer

Default Brake Squeal

The pads are Centric OE. They come with shims. I recently installed same on the rear without any issues. The braking was so much improved with the new rears that I ordered the same for the front. Not sure if I have them bedded in yet or how far one needs to drive and use them to bed in. There is a conflict between my factory manual and Dempsey's book on the angle of the cup shoulder. Factory says parallel to the spring plates(how I always do it) and the Dempsey book says set cups at 20 degrees. I set them parallel.
Manual also states to check clearance between spring plates and pads so you have .4 to .6 mm clearance. I have never been concerned with this clearance in the past. Thanks for your interest.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

See below.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:00 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you are doing the right things but you still need to get some new pad material on your current rotors.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Handy930
Racer

Thanks for the info. Will try it and see what happens.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 AM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience...if you did not replace the rotors or at least get them re-ground/turned you will get front brake squeal.

There is simply no way the new pads will evenly mate with the old worn rotors. This causes slight intermittent contact between the high points of the rotor with the surface of the pads, this causes vibration, which in turn equates to squeal.

If you do an aggressive pad bedding procedure, you may get the pad surface to wear in, so they mate with the irregular rotor surface, but the odds of success are poor.

On the track it doesn't matter, as one changes pads for different tracks and conditions, and some squeal is of no concern.

For the street however, it is down right aggravating to say the least!

Mark

Quick Reply: Front Brake Squeal