Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm defecting over here from the 993 forum...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm defecting over here from the 993 forum...

... Sort of, LOL.

I have wanted a 911 as long as I've had car posters on my walls. I finally bought my first, a 993, last April. 1 year later, I've successfully mod'ed it to my liking and now I'm on to searching for a good deal on my other favorite Porsche... the 914

When I was about 11 years old, my mother bought a used Yellow (I believe Sunflower) 1974 914 from Porsche of Arlington... in 1985-ish. It had the big *** bumperettes, rear reflector panel and chrome moon center caps on steel wheels. I remember how low my arms would hang out near the ground when she was driving. I remember how cool I felt when she let me take the top off for her. I remember it vapor-locking and us not being able to start the car regularly, LOL. She sold it around 1988 and ever since, I've wanted one of my own.

SO... anyway. Just wanted to introduce myself in this forum. I'll surely be in the 993 forum still but perhaps I can hang with you guys more soon.

Here's my 993...

I was at Hershey this past weekend and the year before. I was talking to the guys at Aircooled Racing with all the 914's and was almost ready to take that black one on the Panasports home... haha. I figured I'd do a bit more due diligence and take more time to find the one I want.

My wishlist for finding a 914 would be original paint (maybe something I can buff out?), no rust repair needs, tidy interior, pre-74 bumpers (although I can backdate), no slant noses, no cracked dash... thats about it, LOL. I'd like to convert to 5 lug w/ better brakes and such, lower it, toss on some wheels/tires and probably do a steering wheel and enjoy the hell out of it!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

914world.com you will find more stuff about 914 than you ever thought possible. If you love the performance of your 993 then join the dark side and build the 914 into a 6 with 3,3.2,3.6,3.8 and hang on. Once you have driven a six cylinder 914 I find it difficult to ever go back to a 4 cylinder. jim
Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

I'm all over there too... Just playing friendly here on RL. Thanks! I'd love to 3.6 VRam one...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Vram manifold does not fit under the engine and trunk lid, but the 95 intake does. My project is now a 75 destined to have a 993 engine and a 915 trans, of course the flares and 7.5 and 9 x 17 fuchs -- now I just have to find the time to really get started. Rust is a killer and most have some and some have too much to chase it all down. jim
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Vram manifold does not fit under the engine and trunk lid, but the 95 intake does.
Bummer... will cross that bridge if/when I get to it, LOL.

My project is now a 75 destined to have a 993 engine and a 915 trans, of course the flares and 7.5 and 9 x 17 fuchs -- now I just have to find the time to really get started. Rust is a killer and most have some and some have too much to chase it all down. jim
I was waving money at a guy over in the 964 forums who had a 3.6 twin plug for sale for $3500 with a broken head bolt. I think he was convinced not to sell it (at least so cheap) since he didnt need the money to buy a replacement engine or anything... That was literally the lump I wanted to rebuild and set aside for a 914 I'd love GT flares and to run aggressive offset 7's and 9's but I'd be happy with a standard NB car on 16" 7's and 8's

Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

If you are not putting flares on then 6 x 16 is a great fuchs to run, and you can refinish them with polished spokes/rim for an older fuchs look. Seven's will fit in the rear, but you have to pull the fender out. Jim
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 530 Posts

Welcome to the 914 group- from someone who's had two 993's and loved them both. My son just sold his 993 to buy a race car but will be buying one again in a couple years I'm sure...

Saw this nicely modded a week ago at a cars and coffee at the Penske Musuem in north Scottsdale. Had metal flares and a 3.4... be careful to dry the drool from your keyboard...
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 530 Posts

This is a pic of my two 914's, my original owner silver '71 and the '73 I'm restoring- with the original NB and 6X16 Fuchs you can get plenty of tire under the fenders...
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default You Are My Double!

Hi Rich,

I have been a lurker here on the 914 board and on 914 World, much as you have been, apparently.

But, our similarities go deeper. I've owned a number of P-cars over the years including 5 different 911 variants. Which is a great intro to tell you that I have finally landed on my "final" 911......a 993. Mine is a 98 C2S wide body. The car is highly modified with all the usual stuff, and I just finished a total rebuild. I love the car, its power, and never plan to part with it. Amen.

But, our similarities continue. Over the years, I have been impressed with the little 914. I steered a wide berth around them, because many of them rusted away and the rust in these cars can be complicated. I did not want a rust bucket, since my skills (if I have any) are in the arena of wrenching.....not body repair!

And, then I got the bug to do a 916 GT conversion. And, I was able to find someone who does a reasonable job of it and not for an astronomical price. So, I contracted him to build me a car. I should take delivery of the car in the next month, and am excited.

In addition to the steel flares that are a GT giveaway, my car is being fitted with a comprehensive upgrade in the suspension department including shocks, brakes, and much larger tires that OEM. Though my builder was not interested in doing a six conversion, I will do the conversion once I have the four cylinder car fully sorted. I've gone so far as to purchase a stock 3.2, with fuel injection, that will go into the 914, hopefully this time next year. So, with a more than double the horsepower of the four, the car will be transformed into a hot rod. I can't wait.

The 914 is a connected car, while the 993 is not. Porsche went to great effort to make driving a 993 an easy affair. Hard to break one loose since the rear suspension of the 993 is superior to just about any 911 I've ever driven.

So, the 914 is what Porsches were all about. It is a connected car. One in which you feel in commune with the car as you drive it. I truly love that.

So, welcome aboard. 914's and 993's are dissimilar in most ways, but are joined at the hip since they are great examples of the Porsche marque.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by earossi
our similarities...
Hah! Awesome. I figured I couldnt be the only one, LOL. The 914 to me is definitely a wonderful MR2. Not the Toyota model but the true description of MR2... a Mid-engine, Rear drive, 2 seater. It's capabilities are limited which makes it SO fun to drive at 10/10ths! I am super excited about adding one to the stable. Luckily it's so low overall that, once I get a 4 post, I'll be able to park the 993 over or under one in my short garage! I'm making a convert out of my 964 buddy, haha. He kinda wants one now too!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skl
Welcome to the 914 group-
Thanks! Man... that car is gorgeous
Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome!

Funny, you went the opposite way I am going. Once I get my 914 to where I want it to be, I'll be beginning the hunt for a 993
Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I want one... well... and a 993 as well... heck! I need to find a two bedroom house with a 10 car garage/workshop...

Some day...
Old 04-26-2014, 02:57 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Rich, you could also fulfill the 9146 of your dreams with a well sorted 9146 conversion. The original sixes are skyrocketing in selling prices...and your buying dollar goes further if you find a clean, fully sorted, big engine, six conversion.
BTW , your avatar looks yummy just like our Cars+Tacos crusie ins !
Marty
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

My hope is to find a clean 6cyl conversion car for under $20k or a really really clean stock engine car for under $12k. I'm fully capable of doing the swap in my own garage but sometimes it's a lot easier to pay for someone elses labor at a discount lol.

DAMN those tacos look good!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm defecting over here from the 993 forum...