Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price for a 1987 944 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:32 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 487 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Price for a 1987 944 ?

I'm a 928 guy and don't know much about the 944s or the values but will hopefully soon own one. It's not an S, S2 or Turbo. I do know it's not a FAST car and the automatic tranny doesn't help in that regard. Not a big concern.

Hoping you guys can help me out with good, average, fair pricing. I have one I'm looking at that appears to be a VERY nice unadulterated "survivor":

1987, Silver over Maroon, Auto, 101,000 miles, always garage kept, no wrecks, original paint, mechanically sound, bone dry underneath, very nice interior (no rips, cracks, tears, and the driver bolster is good), all the original equipment including manuals, airpump, tool kit, donut tire, etc. It appears 100% stock under the hood and in good clean condition. Fluids, timing belt, water pump all changed recently. It has a ground effects body kit - not sure if it's factory or dealer option or some aftermarket thing. I do like the look though. Are the "phone dial" wheels standard / original to the car in 1987? See pics...

Any assistance you may provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty stoked about the car, but I don't want my enthusiasm to outweigh common sense or my wallet!

Last edited by jbrob007; 08-10-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

More pics...

Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my '86 with 120k miles on it in December. It's a manual but has original paint in very good shape, original interior that looks immaculate, teledial wheels, and a decently kept engine.

I paid $5500 for it and immediately spent another $1200 to get the belts changed as it had no history. I've spent another $2000 on little things I've fixed. So, all total, I'm in it for over $8500, getting her up-to-snuff. Probably more than she'd go for at the moment, but then I was never in this to make money. I want a decently reliable 944 that I can drive on weekends and enjoy for years to come.

If yours is as clean as it seems then somewhere south of 10k might be a decent price for one in excellent shape with so few miles. You might want to have a look here: https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...87-Porsche-944

To answer your question, the teledials are probably original. No idea about the body kit. She looks like a beaut'. Good luck, and welcome to the club if you get her.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Wheels were standard spec but the ground kit is not original/factory option, to my knowledge.
Be worth climbing under the car and inspecting how it is installed - oftentimes body kits like that aren't installed with very much care...

With that in mind personally I'd knock a lot of $ off.
Clean auto 944 with service...maybe $3-4K tops depending how bad you want it, IMO.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. It's definitely going up on a lift to inspect how this is applied. I do like the look of the side moldings - not too sure about the look of the rear "bumper" cover. You'd think these cars would be worth more, but alas, I'm a 928 guy so I know how undervalued they are... just HOW MUCH they are undervalued I have no idea... Thanks for the info.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:57 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info... I noticed a serious type-o... It's 101,000 miles. Still looks like it's been pampered.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah. Over 100k miles... I wouldn't go much higher than the $5500 I paid, and I'd probably knock a bit off for it being an automatic. In general, they're a lot rarer, but much less desirable to most people. Hagerty says $6400 for a "good" one. Most of the ones I've seen for 3-4k have rust issues or other major work that needs to be done. I'll adjust my estimate and say 5-7k would be justifiable from what you've said and looking at the pictures.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

LOL!! As soon as I saw your comment "for such low miles..." I thought 101,000 miles isn't low... then I saw the problem... missing a "0" somewhere. Thanks again for the insight.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur with what others have said that the automatic transmission and non-stock body kit negatively affect its value. The side skirts look like they might come off. If so, and if the seller has the original bumper to go with the car, I'd deduct about 30% for it being an automatic and value it at around $3800-4200. Maybe , the lower end if the tires are more than just a couple of years old.

You mention that you want to keep it a while but realize that 944's are much more preferred as manual transmission cars so selling it down the road might take longer....
Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Bought her today for $3800. Nice car but needs the usual maintenance items caught up... What's new Thanks for all the advice and price recommendations. She shows very well and the interior is outstanding, so I've got a good base car to start my father & son project.

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Trouble!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think you bought it right

On one hand autos are not preferred on the other few young people know how to drive a manual .
Old 09-06-2017, 11:57 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ashman
Ah. Over 100k miles... I wouldn't go much higher than the $5500 I paid, and I'd probably knock a bit off for it being an automatic. In general, they're a lot rarer, but much less desirable to most people. Hagerty says $6400 for a "good" one. Most of the ones I've seen for 3-4k have rust issues or other major work that needs to be done. I'll adjust my estimate and say 5-7k would be justifiable from what you've said and looking at the pictures.
Just finished replacing the TB/BB/WP, all the front engine seals, both tensioners & idle rollers, re-aligned the balance shafts, replaced Alt & A/C and PS belts, flushing the radiator (oil cooler leaking) and installed new motor mounts (what a PITA). Cleaned the throttle body & replaced the spark plugs. The throttle body has never been cleaned - looked like brown chocolate gunk. The plugs were a perfect tan color, but I already had new Bosch plugs in the parts bin and the ignition wires were already done.

Next we'll replace the oil cooler seals & gaskets so we can refill the oil (adding Rislone for lead additive) and antifreeze so we can test our TB & Balance Belt work. Finally, we'll remount the Power Steering pump, Rad hoses, and all the belts and bleed the brakes & replace all four rotors and pads.

Then its on to the exterior with Dr. Color Chip for the front end road rash (100K miles worth), followed by Clay Bar and Wax & Polish of the entire car... Gotta get new tires as the current ones are from 2000 (17 freakin' years old)...
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The aero kit sides and rear, were a current trend in the mid to late '80s from popular aftermarket suppliers to Corvette, Porsche, and other sports cars. I found ingress and egress to be a little restrictive on the side sills applications of cars which showed up at our driving events at the track.

The catalogs one got in the mail 3 or 4 times a year were fun to look at, but I never bought too much from them. Never saw the need for adding these to my cars, but more than a few did.

Even Porsche briefly got into these 'add on kits' and I remember them being marketed over the counter at several local dealerships along with Saratoga Tops, front air dams, and sheepskin covers for the seats. I think I have several old pieces of literature in my 'Porsche stash' with official Porsche marketing leaflets showing these items for sale thru Porsche 'boutique' parts counters at dealers. One local guy who was heavily into these add ons, used to own both Corvettes of the mid '80s and Porsches from the same era, & had these same pieces you show on his 944 and 951.

But Porsche never supplied cars from their factory with any of these in place of regular production parts normally seen on our cars. They were mostly personal adds by owners with help from their dealer or local body shops.

I think you paid a fair value for your car as condition is so important today; there is a lot of worn out cars on the market. Automatics are always going to bring less money, as they are a bit less fun to drive and parts are extremely expensive and hard to obtain if they go bad inside. Many great cars have been parked for years due to this very thing. Locally I know of two red ones, a black, and a silver car waiting for internal pcs to put them back on the road.

Take good care of your car and it will take care of you. If that transmission begins to act up a bit, get it right in to your local Porsche dealer or qualified independent shop to give it a go over, because continuing to drive it will only cost more in the end.

Best wishes on preserving it for the future .......
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Thanks... I concur. Getting the deferred maintenance up to date is cheap compared to replacing a complete or partial interior or even an decent taped off respray. So far I've got about $700 in parts (labor is pizza and beer) and we're almost done with the installations. The only thing I don't have yet are the tires... Once she's mechanically sound and the paint is cleaned up it'll show as a VERY nice 944... even if it is an automatic. One of these days Hagerty will decide the automatics are actually RARE and bump up the price... I can DREAM can't I... ??

Quick Reply: Price for a 1987 944 ?