Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Relay...how do I test it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 10:23 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm. Sounds straight-forward. I may give it a try...any special tools to remove any "hidden" bolts?? Are they all 10mm?

Thanks for the step-by-step Tom!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack the thread. ...but my motor is making that whining sound as if it's spun out or whatever.

To get that hvac plastic panel off, mine is glued on next to the windsheild. Do I need to break that seal and then reseal it after I'm done?

Also on these motors can they be rebuilt? I'm very familiar with motors and rebuilding them (thanks to all those years with R/C cars!)

One last question! Is it possible to lessen the number of times the wipers go up after you squirt the washer fuild? The reason I ask is I can wash the windsheild and then it seems like after it's done the wipers go about 1 or 2 extra times which usually just makes the windsheild dirty again. Not to mention I hate the sound of wipers on dry glass.

Thanks all.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glued on...?? Nobody mentioned re-sealing anything...?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:17 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To bad I didn't get the new 5 bay up for warehouse, project is scheduled for next spring , could have helped you out Andy or better yet you could have done it here and I would show you how. Too many projects going on . Ground broken , building arrived, for another 2 bay dedicated to powder coating only. Equipment ( ovens , big compressor, and filtering systems, ) ordered.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

It doesn't seem complicated. My mechanic (well, one of em) said he was going away for the holidays, and couldn't do it for me till Jan 4. BUT, he said if I was handy, it wasn't hard. Removing the HVAC fan was the secret (so I have heard)!

He said if I mess it up, he would be able to fix it in an hour or two max. At worst, $150 if I can't get it together.

Gonna try it later today!
Old 12-20-2003, 12:50 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiper relay on our old BMW crapped out one time. The wipers were stuck on in full speed mode. My wife drove home from work with the wipers squealing really loud once the windshield fluid ran out....
Old 12-20-2003, 01:33 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Andy ; nothing ventured ,nothing gained. Go for it ,just take your time. Actually the hardest part is to get the black plastic pc up without breaking it .Gently pry it up where it goes around the wiper hubs. Disconnect the battery first. Call me for a step by step if you need help. e for tel # or go to the web site.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I gave it a try. I pulled the wipers off, got the plastic HVAC cover off with only one crack (rrr!), unbolted the 6 bolts holding the fan assembly in....but the damned thing wouldnt budge!? It was not coming out, no matter how hard I tried.

I did manage to unplug the old wiper motor, and connect the replacement. It works, so it's definately the motor that blew. But now I'm stuck...forced to bring it to a mechanic after the new year. And I can't drive the car in the rain.

Very annoyed!
Old 12-21-2003, 03:42 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Don't crack the windshield! Forcing the wiper arms out will do that!

Think if you have the wiper bracket assembly loose you should be able to take the motor off with a little dexterity. Run the wiper motor and let it park before you put the linkage back on. Run it again to see if you have the crank arm in the right location on the motor. Adjust as necessary.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got the arms off fine. It's impossible to take the motor and assembly out without removing the HVAC fan assembly...
Old 12-21-2003, 04:00 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Andy ; So Cal is right ,be very careful when you tip the wiper assembly to remove the motor , the top of the arm comes very close to the windshield. There are 8 screws I believe and it is kind of stuck in place by the sealant.Just pry the assembly up slowly. pry it up ,let it sit for a min ,do again. Take your time, when you start to get annoyed go have a cup of coffee and then go try it when you are calmed down. Explains why I trade parts for coffee and I do nothing in a hurry anymore. It is an annoying job , but you can do it , and for the 150 you can take the wife out to dinner.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

George-

There are 6 screws with 8mm bolt heads holding the HVAC assembly to the body. I removed all 6, and even prying with a flat screw driver head wouldnt budge the HVAC unit??

How is it stuck to the body? Once the six screws are removed...is there anything else holding the unit??

Also, the screw thread on your arm posts are stripped...that large nut won't thread, so I'll have to remove the motor from the assembly and swap it with mine (if I can ever get it out). How do I get to the third phillips screw holding the motor onto that frame?
Old 12-21-2003, 04:15 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Andy; You may need an offset phillips head screw driver.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Here's a photo:

I removed the cover to the HVAC...but it seems if the fan stays, there's no way of removing the wiper motor/arm assembly. It gets caught on the passenger-side, under the fan. With the fan there, there's no room to maneuver the assembly out?

Do I have to remove the fan/bottom assembly of the HVAC?? George says no...but...

Ideas?? So near, and yet so far!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Help

Hey George / 951Tom:

I removed the bolts around the perimiter of the bottom of the HVAC assembly...but the assembly wouldn't budge!? The fan comes out of the bottom (it kinda rests in there, using gravity), but the wiper arms are getting caught on the BASE of the HVAC unit (see photo above).

Looks like the bottom goes deep underneath...does this unit just pull out??

If I could get the base out, I could remove the wiper assembly, and change the motor myself! Is it a matter of prying the HVAC base out??

Quick Reply: Wiper Relay...how do I test it?