Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRP motor mounts any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Manuel928S4
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CRP motor mounts any good?

Hello,

I was about to purchase the Lindsey Racing Ultra Mounts and, while checking, found some CRP mounts on FCPEuro for around $17 the set. After reading some threads, I have doubts if they are the same as oem mounts made by Rein, or if those are some of the cheap ones that don't last.
I'm planning on keeping my car for a long time and would like to take it to the track whenever possible and, would not like to do a motor mounts job again. Should I just go ahead and buy the lindsey mounts or should I try the CRP ones?

Thanks

Oh, and my car is an 88 944 na
Old 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Been discussed a zillion times, factory last the longest, have the best performance and the lowest nhv, all the others, including the Lindsey Ultra, are inferior in one way or another. Only mounts bought from Porsche are factory mounts.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I installed Meyle mounts last month, replaced the 160K 1992 originals. The Meyle mounts seem pretty good, are liquid filled. Ask me in a few years if I have regrets. The only issues I can imagine is if they crack and the liquid leaks out or they collapse.
The OEM mounts still had liquid in them and were deteriorated but still working OK.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

"CRP" is an appropriate name..lol
Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CRP = Continental Rubber Products, which is a legitimate, and sometimes preferred, German OEM to Porsche/VW/Audi, and others.
Hoses, belts, tires, etc.

That being said.... $17 motor mounts sound pretty sketchy regardless whose name is on them.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:40 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
CRP = Continental Rubber Products, which is a legitimate, and sometimes preferred, German OEM to Porsche/VW/Audi, and others...
OEM means nothing these days, it’s such a misused term, any manufacturers who once produced a part for Porsche claim they are OEM on any other part they produce in the future. It’s really nothing less than a scam for the uninitiated.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:33 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by MAGK944
OEM means nothing these days, it’s such a misused term, any manufacturers who once produced a part for Porsche claim they are OEM on any other part they produce in the future. It’s really nothing less than a scam for the uninitiated.
While that may be true in many cases, CRP is a 'legit' OEM that still produces a significant amount of product in Germany, and has been an OEM for many years for the vehicles and products I mentioned.
I'll take exception to the 'uninitiated' comment. I have years of parts history in the VW/Audi world, and CRP has been for years "the standard" for many many products.
VW never manufactured any of this stuff themselves, so who did they get to do it for them?
Gates may be 'the OE' for our 944s, but millions of ContiTech timing belts have been zipping around millions of German engines since the day they were born.

Want original German cloth-braided metric hose stock for vacuum, vent, fuel (low-pressure) lines, etc.? Try finding any other manufacturer of it.

CRP, ContiTech, Continental...
[I have no affiliation, I just know what I know]

Meyle on the other hand... not an OEM to my knowledge. At one time (~20 years ago), they actually made some stuff in Germany... then you started seeing Turkey, India, China... now it's no better than any other Chinese made crap.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hahaha, 17$ motor mounts, might as well glue some piece of rubber in there and call that oem. spill some oil in there too, now its hydraulic.
there is no free food.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:53 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Yeah all that said about CRP.... they seem to have 'sold out', at least with respect to these motor mounts. Made in China.
Great, now I gotta really start watching carefully the CRP products I buy along with most every other brand...
Old 04-12-2018, 03:26 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break out the wallet and buy the Porsche mounts. You will not regret spending the dough; I found out the hard way.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used aftermarket mounts on previous cars, I did not keep the cars for 5 years afterward but never had a problem. Kept them for a few years. Both 944S2.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
Yeah all that said about CRP.... they seem to have 'sold out', at least with respect to these motor mounts. Made in China.
Great, now I gotta really start watching carefully the CRP products I buy along with most every other brand...
Yeah. Welcome to the modern age.

There were favorable reports on Reim mounts in the past, but the ~$20 ones I got are likely not going to be all that great.
We shall see. The replacement job wasn't all that big of a deal (compare it to a 928 or Cayenne Turbo if you want some laughs), so if I have to replace these in a year or so, not that big of a deal.

The old adage "You get what you pay for" is still very true, especially when it comes to parts for expensive cars.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Rein mounts are 100% OE porsche mounts with porsche numbers and sign removed with probably dremel tool.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-mounts-2.html

Right one is Rein with porsche numbers and P triangle removed however P triangle is still visible.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lately I have found that "you get what you pay for" is much more true on the far-left edge of the curve and in the creamy middle there is a lot of great value at a low price before you get to paying 3x or more dealer prices for a part.

The cheapest price I find is usually junk, and if the supplier is not pretty well established it might not even be usable out of the box. Straight from China no-name parts are often like this. I tried this (mainly for laughs) on some HID bulbs for my Audi and the $4 lamps from China were junk, probably quality control fails bought as scrap. I got my money back and learned something. The same bulb from a USA supplier for $10 works perfectly, the supplier is not in business to go out-of-business and does not want returns and unhappy customers so that makes sense. I think new Phillips bulbs were $100-ish at the time.

Similar story: I buy a new Bosch fuel pump for my truck, USA supplier, $80, part made in a 1st world country, and once installed I find it's got a bad check valve and needs to come back out. I replace it with a $30 pump made in China but from a reputable seller in the USA and that pump works perfectly for years, to the point where when I got another truck and replaced the fuel pump (ahead of it wearing out) I got another $30 pump from the same seller and it's been in there humming for 8 years.

The Meyle mounts I installed I have a lot of confidence in, the seller backs them with a lifetime warranty and Meyle has a reputation for adequacy and good value (IMO) so I thought it was worth trying to save $250 or so on the mounts.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

In truth most people who own a 944 don’t know the difference a set of factory mounts make, and they probably don’t care as long as the aftermarket mounts do a semi-decent job and last a few years. Unfortunately I am plagued by a baseline as I bought my car new in 86 and I still remember thinking how smooth the 4-pot engine was. I tried aftermarket “liquid-filled” mounts once and immediately noticed an annoying “buzzing” at idle that completely disappeared when I swapped them out for factory. Btw my original factory mounts lasted ten years and I’m on my fourth set over 32 years, so even at today’s prices that works out to about $50/year for factory mounts. Good insurance I think

Quick Reply: CRP motor mounts any good?