Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specialized ECU Repair AKA ECU Doctors ripped me off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:52 AM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specialized ECU Repair AKA ECU Doctors ripped me off!

I have an “87 944 turbo that I diagnosed to have a bad DME, this had happened years ago I replaced it and the car ran fine. I called “ECU Doctors” and talked to the owner “Jorge” He said for $375 he would send a refurbished one with a five-year warranty just send the old one. Got a call after it arrived that some one had tampered with my old one (soldered some wires on the board) and sent pictures of the board. They now wanted $675 which I told them to send it back. I immediately went on Ebay and bought one. Got a call from “Jorge” the next day saying that he had looked at my DME personally and it was not that bad and he would do the swap for $475 (or something I don’t remember) I said too late got one coming from EBay. He said he was sorry and wanted my business and would send back my old one no charge. I asked him what would have happened if I had paid the $675 would he have refunded my money?? Not likely. Well the one from EBay did not work either. So I sent two DME’s to them with the instructions to pick one for a core send me the $375 one with the five year warranty and send the other core back. A few days later they called and said they checked both cores and they checked OK on their test bench but would not work on their “test car” that the boards needed to be re-soldered and they needed the KLR to check it as well. I said no, send them back. They said there would be a $100 bench fee. I said OK and paid them. I received the DME”s back and when I un-boxed them I noticed there was something loose inside the DME so I opened it up and there was a component un-soldered loose inside. I got the other DME out and sure enough the same thing!!!! I called and they said that there was no way that they had anything to do with un-soldering parts and had told me that the boards need to be re-soldered and that’s probably what happened. You be the judge.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:31 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I had a component like that come loose in one of mine, the soldering is suspect in our dme’s to begin with especially at the two power resistors, I’ve had to have two dme’s resoldered due to original dry joints that got worse due to vibration and age. Not saying that’s what happened to yours just that it does happen on 30yo electronics that were not soldered well to begin with and maybe mailing them didn’t help.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to pile on, but I will, my car never ran with the ecu I had them 'repair' twice. The second time during the warranty period, but "new procedures" required additional payment by me to have it 'repaired' again. After dumping almost 1k into a 30yr old board, I ended up switching to a stand-alone system which did replace some stock sensors, but I haven't had a problem since the new ecu.

I have no way of proving it was/wasn't their ecu work, but It didn't leave a great taste in my mouth.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

For that kind of money maybe you could enquire with F9tech when they'll restock their DMEs? http://www.ftech9.com/new-products/

(if legal for your class)
Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is F9tech still in business? Website says everything is sold out. Sent an email but got no reply. I liked my DME relay from them and wanted another one.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I've used them several times and always had good experiences. They once talked me out of rebuilding a KLR and a second time sent me a chip for free to see if that's all I needed. I will say I've bought more than my share of "was working when removed" DMEs and KLRs off eBay and most were nearly junk. One in particular was clearly from a flooded car, and others were the victims of obvious hacking inside. Don't meant to discount the OP's frustration, which is obviously real, but wonder if this is more a combination of unfortunate circumstances/expectations than an intentional rip off...

Quick Reply: Specialized ECU Repair AKA ECU Doctors ripped me off!