Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

now it's my turn to lose the car i love....totalled last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts
Unhappy now it's my turn to lose the car i love....totalled last night

Last night I had to say goodbye to a car I had for 7 years, since I was 14, a car that took me from high school all the way to college...

My car was totalled last night by a guy that T-boned me with my 2 cousins in the car while I was making a U-turn in a residential neighborhood. The person who hit me was on his cell phone talking and decided to pass me at full acceleration on the left side of me as i was turning left into my turn and broadsided me. As for the car, the driver's door, quarter panel and front fender are now mutilated by his ford bronco...and there weren't even any skid marks to show that he braked before hitting me.

My insurance company (21st Century) has given me a rental car for 30 days and I have to start looking for another NA....if anyone knows of anyone selling one anywhere from San Diego to Los Angeles please let me know immediately. I'm looking for something under 180,000 mi in a very clean condition with no serious dings or scratches, no cracks on the spoiler....sorry it may sound stupid for asking this, but I'd like to get back into a 944 asap....
Old 01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's too bad, but the way you write about it sounds like you think it's the other guys fault. If you're making a u-turn, you have to make sure the way is clear.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I'm glad that you're ok. That's the most important thing.
Second, what is going on with all the cars that are getting hit here?
Third, it's not stupid at all to want to get back in a 944, the fact that you're around to ask the question shows what a well built car it is.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Peckster
That's too bad, but the way you write about it sounds like you think it's the other guys fault. If you're making a u-turn, you have to make sure the way is clear.
Not that we need another thread on legalities of road maneuvers, but it's been my experience that when you hit someone from behind, you are at fault. Which in this case is the Bronco.

Too bad about the car. These things happen. Good luck in your search for a replacement.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Wasnt there an ad here a few days ago for a low mileage 951 in san diego area for around 10G. if it wasnt across the country i would have been interested in it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:32 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I understand it, if you're making a U-turn to the left you should be on the leftmost lane, therefore no one should be trying to pass you on the left...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

The way it works up here is that people making a u-turn are automatically responsible in almost all cases. Were the police at the scene? Did they lay any charges?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U-Turn Shmu-turn...the important thing here is that he's alright. I feel for you loosing your car. It was a very heartbreaking event when my 951 was totaled by someone hitting me from behind too, and I sympathize. Good luck in your search for another 944, and may your "new" one provide you with the same joy as the one you lost.

Also, good luck if you have to fight insurance companies...they can be a bear.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Peckster, read for comprehension. California is a right hand lane driving state (as are all in the US). He got hit on the driver's side, which is the left side of the car. It doesn't matter if he was making a U-turn or just a left hand turn the Bronco was following behind him going the same direction and decided to pass in an unsafe manner and T-Boned him. I guess you could ding EuroSpec if he didn't flip on his turn signal but this situation is different than turning into opposing oncoming traffic.

Glad you are OK EuroSpec and good luck finding the replacement car.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by IceShark
Peckster, read for comprehension. California is a right hand lane driving state (as are all in the US). He got hit on the driver's side, which is the left side of the car. It doesn't matter if he was making a U-turn or just a left hand turn the Bronco was following behind him going the same direction and decided to pass in an unsafe manner and T-Boned him. I guess you could ding EuroSpec if he didn't flip on his turn signal but this situation is different than turning into opposing oncoming traffic.

Glad you are OK EuroSpec and good luck finding the replacement car.
What are you talking about? Do you think we drive on the left side of the road in Canada?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:48 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'm really glad to hear that noone was hurt -- a Bronco is a pretty big truck.

It really isn't our place to speculate, but it sounds to me like you were making one of those wide U-turns in a narrow street (go right first then swing around). If so, I can see the Bronco getting confused.

Anyways, I would get all the insurance stuff out of the way before shopping around for a new car -- but now seems like a very good time to be in looking for 944s -- I've seen prenty of deals go by lately. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol @ Iceshark and Peckster..yea you drive on the right hand in canada too, but you're....canadian. lol. Just giving you ****, i can't talk i am from north dakota....lol In North Dakota, we drive on whatever side you want to...you rarely see another vehicle anyways....lol
Old 01-09-2004, 02:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, after you have a few too many Molsons.

The point I was making was the guy was FOLLOWING him and ran into him. As opposed to him darting across the opposing lane of traffic where an oncoming drive may have a hard time coming to a stop quick enough.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Contact Freeker. He in in louisiana, and has an 84 with 33k miles that he is getting rid of for a Z28.

If you need help fighting the insurance co send me a PM. I am a pro with three stolen cars under my belt. Its only a car, plenty more where that one came from.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

EuroSpec944,

Sorry to hear what happened. That sucks. Glad to hear that you are OK and glad to see that you are sticking with the breed.

FWIW, your car was the car that I had a photo of pinned up in my office as inspiration while I was looking for a 944 a long time ago.

Take care,

Jeremy

Quick Reply: now it's my turn to lose the car i love....totalled last night