Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Issue / 944 NA 1984

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Ooh I'm curious now!

Say, what's the purpose of the fuel dampner (the other piece on the fuel rail)? Could that play a role here?
The fuel damper smooths out any pulse pressure variations, I do not believe it is a factor
Old 07-18-2018, 03:30 AM
Chalt
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I watched your videos. On Post #12, the video ... that is EXACTLY how my 86 NA is running.
Mine hadn't been sitting, it started to have a stumble, and was hard to start after sitting overnight. It would run rough for about 45-60 seconds and then settle out. After a month or so, the rough running didn't settle down anymore.
I got help from the good folks here and I tested lots of things.
I bought a $15 infrared temperature gun, ran the motor for a few minutes until warmed up, and took readings from all four header pipes while running. I put the temp gun as close as I could to each pipe, less than 6 inches to each.
I discovered that Header pipe #1 was several hundred degrees cooler than the other pipes.
I thought maybe I have a fuel injector not firing or a bad plug or a bad wire?
Couldn't prove any of those theories.
Bought a snake camera and put it down the spark plug holes.
I found out that coolant was leaking into Cylinder #1 (there was a visible puddle of coolant). Cylinder #2 looked like it had a few drops of coolant, and #3 and #4 had no leak and were dry. So, in my case, head gasket is leaking. That's why the cylinder is running cooler and rough.
I'm not suggesting I know what is wrong with your car, but it sounded so much like mine, I thought I would tell you what I found out.
I bought my camera/boroscope/endoscope on Amazon, Depstech, it was $36. I am not affiliated with Depstech. The camera works by bluetooth with my iphone and records video or still pictures and has a light on the end.

Keep investigating. Throwing parts at it is too expensive.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:32 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalt
Keep investigating. Throwing parts at it is too expensive.
Great advice Chalt. Even if that isn't the problem the OP is having, just knowing what you did and what you found is really useful.

Thanks, Interesting read. Best of luck with your head gasket!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 AM
Chalt
Racer

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Great advice Chalt. Even if that isn't the problem the OP is having, just knowing what you did and what you found is really useful.

Thanks, Interesting read. Best of luck with your head gasket!
Thanks Scott. It was very satisfying to find out what was wrong. A mystery is great, but I like when we solve them.
-Chris
Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Carl Presseault
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalt
Thanks Scott. It was very satisfying to find out what was wrong. A mystery is great, but I like when we solve them.
-Chris
Thanks for the hint Chris! Camera is on its way.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 AM
Chalt
Racer

Any news or updates Carl?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the speed and ref sensor at the DME pinouts to verify the Speed and ref sensors are indeed good.

. Make sure signal/ pulse isnt dropping through the harness- check for Bad voltage at the DME harness plug with a MM.

Oh yeah, check your grounds. Clean and test continuity to ground at the bundles and to the DME ground- then weatherize all of them.

That's the direction I'd try first - regardless of parts already replaced.

Observe and report.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Carl Presseault
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here's the updates.

Replaced: Fuel Pressure Regulator, DME temp sender, O2 sensor and for good measure, all the spark plugs. After I replaced the O2, the car went back to life! Hooray!
.... but only for two days. This morning, it's all the same. Studder, like it run on 3 cyl. Wont stays on. I'm looking for a coolant leak now.
When it was working, everything was fine exept for two things. My oil pressure was way lower than usual. Also, randomly, I could hear a "pop" in the exhaust but not loos in power or hesitation.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Well, if it isn't the speed/ref sensor I wouldn't have any other ideas. This would be a tough one if those signals are good. Have you been able to test them yet?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Presseault
So here's the updates.

Replaced: Fuel Pressure Regulator, DME temp sender, O2 sensor and for good measure, all the spark plugs. After I replaced the O2, the car went back to life! Hooray!
.... but only for two days. This morning, it's all the same. Studder, like it run on 3 cyl. Wont stays on. I'm looking for a coolant leak now.
When it was working, everything was fine exept for two things. My oil pressure was way lower than usual. Also, randomly, I could hear a "pop" in the exhaust but not loos in power or hesitation.
I don’t know about you oil pressure—perhaps it was real hot or your OPRV is leaking—but could it be when you changed the O2 sensor, the bad wiring or connection temporarily got fixed only to move and lose contact again?

It could. Those wires are getting real dry and brittle!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

When my fuel pressure regulator (FPR) went bad the car was hard starting. It was also running rich. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR and check for fuel in the line. One other part you didn't replace was the O2 sensor. It fails to rich mode. Both these make for hard starting running rich. Been there done that.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:18 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

When my fuel pressure regulator (FPR) went bad the car was hard starting. It was also running rich. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR and check for fuel in the line. One other part you didn't replace was the O2 sensor. It fails to rich mode. Both these make for hard starting running rich. Been there done that.

Quick Reply: No Start Issue / 944 NA 1984