Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 S2: Jammed ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, PS: Yes, I plan to drill the tumblers out once the housing is removed and I can put it in a drill press. Also, I plan to disable the column lock "feature" while I'm in there.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic

I had thought of that and I do have a slide hammer with a large slide on it, but I'm worried I might either damage the housing or worse, the dash. Unless someone's already tried that and knows the result I don't think I'll try it.

So far there are two votes for drilling out the shear bolts and one video from Germany. I've torn it down to the point in that video where drilling is the next step and so far I've only had a minor casualty; one of the plastic switch retaining clips on the back of a dash trim piece broke while I was removing the switch. I think I can fix it with JB Weld.

I still need some advice. I can't find a center punch or a drill bit that will make a dent in those bolts. Finding a 6" carbide bit for steel seems difficult, haven't seen anything carbide tipped but masonry bits. I did find a carbide tipped center punch but they're sort of expensive.

What punches/drills did you folks use for the job?

Thanks,
That trim piece is available new from porsche if need be for about $50 IIRC. the tabs never seem to hold even when epoxied.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:17 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
That trim piece is available new from porsche if need be for about $50 IIRC. the tabs never seem to hold even when epoxied.
I had almost exactly the same problem with the driver's side switch trim piece when I went to fix a bad window switch that was blowing breakers. I ended up using JB Weld along with some old credit cards to rebuild the retainer clips. The irony is I installed the window switch upside down and I'm in total fear of trying to remove it and put it in right because I can't source the trim piece if I f* it up. Sigh.

So no leads on the appropriate punch and drill for those verdamnt bolts?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 PM
jmc1590
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as removing the shear bolts, I ended up using a die grinder and a pair or carbide burr bits. The only drawback was lots of metal shavings to cleanup when I was done.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:24 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I had thought of that and I do have a slide hammer with a large slide on it, but I'm worried I might either damage the housing or worse, the dash. Unless someone's already tried that and knows the result I don't think I'll try it.

So far there are two votes for drilling out the shear bolts and one video from Germany. I've torn it down to the point in that video where drilling is the next step and so far I've only had a minor casualty; one of the plastic switch retaining clips on the back of a dash trim piece broke while I was removing the switch. I think I can fix it with JB Weld.

I still need some advice. I can't find a center punch or a drill bit that will make a dent in those bolts. Finding a 6" carbide bit for steel seems difficult, haven't seen anything carbide tipped but masonry bits. I did find a carbide tipped center punch but they're sort of expensive.

What punches/drills did you folks use for the job?

Thanks,
Use a little smaller drill bit. I removed mine when I was building the racecar, It really was no big deal, Just Sharpen the Bit on a grinder. Drill from the bottom up and do not drill fast... SLOW, the drill bit will eventually catch and spin the bolt out.. this is what mine looked like.. its ez then I cut the steering lock off with a cutoff wheel and re-installed..

Old 12-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Use a little smaller drill bit. I removed mine when I was building the racecar, It really was no big deal, Just Sharpen the Bit on a grinder. Drill from the bottom up and do not drill fast... SLOW, the drill bit will eventually catch and spin the bolt out.. this is what mine looked like.. its ez then I cut the steering lock off with a cutoff wheel and re-installed..
I've been using a 1/4" (6mm) regular black oxide bit in a variable speed cordless drill at the lowest speed and haven't gotten it to bite yet, so I was thinking tungsten carbide but can't find them for anything but concrete (the big spade tip bits), so now I'm looking at tungsten carbide dremel bits (sort of like the die grinder idea). Should all be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,

Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been using a 1/4" (6mm) regular black oxide bit in a variable speed cordless drill at the lowest speed and haven't gotten it to bite yet, so I was thinking tungsten carbide but can't find them for anything but concrete (the big spade tip bits), so now I'm looking at tungsten carbide dremel bits (sort of like the die grinder idea). Should all be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,
A 1/4 inch is bit (pun intended) big to start with on hard steel. Drop down to an 1/8 inch bit to start and go up to 3/16" and then your 1/4".
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
A 1/4 inch is bit (pun intended) big to start with on hard steel. Drop down to an 1/8 inch bit to start and go up to 3/16" and then your 1/4".
I'm trying the dremel + tungsten carbide cutting head next. I got messed up by Amazon so I'm getting the dremel replacement tomorrow but not the bits! They skunked me on that one; not only did I buy a second dremel (the other's up north), paid expedited shipping to get it here tomorrow, the bits won't show up until I'm back up north for the holidays! Sometimes I like Amazon, other times I hate them. Tomorrow I'll scour Paso for a retailer that carries carbide bits. The joys of small town living...

That picture of the bolt you posted looks a lot like a trophy for some reason GPA951s, is there a certain amount of quiet triumph in it? I think I may take a picture of mine and frame it for the shop when I get the sucker out.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:33 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

I'm trying the dremel + tungsten carbide cutting head next. I got messed up by Amazon so I'm getting the dremel replacement tomorrow but not the bits! They skunked me on that one; not only did I buy a second dremel (the other's up north), paid expedited shipping to get it here tomorrow, the bits won't show up until I'm back up north for the holidays! Sometimes I like Amazon, other times I hate them. Tomorrow I'll scour Paso for a retailer that carries carbide bits. The joys of small town living...

That picture of the bolt you posted looks a lot like a trophy for some reason GPA951s, is there a certain amount of quiet triumph in it? I think I may take a picture of mine and frame it for the shop when I get the sucker out.
No lol at the time I time I had asked someone about it. It came out so ez that I had to take a pic of it. If I recall when I ground (sharpened) the drill bit I made the relief very shallow so the bit wasn't pointy and it spun itself out almost instantly. I used a regular old high speed steel bit.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

No lol at the time I time I had asked someone about it. It came out so ez that I had to take a pic of it. If I recall when I ground (sharpened) the drill bit I made the relief very shallow so the bit wasn't pointy and it spun itself out almost instantly. I used a regular old high speed steel bit.
In that case I'm headed for Lowes again today. I'm at a disadvantage; almost all my tools are up in my old shop, so even though I have at least 4 complete sets of bits none of them are here. I used the bit that came with the screw extractor and it's probably junk. Maybe I'll have better luck with a better bit.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:28 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

If you used the bit that came with an extractor set..typically they are left hand bits... In my Mac set they are. You need the regular bit and it turns the bolts the proper way ( because you going at it from the thread side). If all else fails grind two flat spots on the dome part and try vice grips. If that doesn't work grab a small chisel ..... If you can get it to turn even a quarter turn is should spin out with your fingers then.... If you think this is a challenge. Wait till you have to take the airbag sensors out of one of these cars ....totally tamper proof. Chisel method only gets em out...
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

If you can get it to turn even a quarter turn is should spin out with your fingers then..
Maybe the housing is different on an S2? I can't even see the head of the bolt because it's recessed into an aluminum casting. I don't think I could grind flats on it without cutting down the casting, not at all sure how I could get two fingers into it, I can barely touch the bolt with one? I get the idea we're talking about different assemblies?

Maybe I'll take a picture in a few minutes. Mine looks just like the one in the video? The hole it's recessed in is maybe 8-10 mm in diameter and I'd need to take the seat out to really look at it directly. Right now I'm doing everything by touch, but I'm using a probe because my fingers are too big to fit in the recess.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:19 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Old 12-21-2018, 01:26 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Hard to tell, that looks like an "after" shot. The housing itself looks about the same but the bolts in the picture are sticking out below the cast well. Mine has the stock bolts and the heads aren't exposed at all, they're recessed into the housing.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:05 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Yes, that's because those are Allen heads I put in after I cut the steering lock pin off. Its a "strap" in top. The bolts in the pic are installed the same way the factory pins are. So you should drill from the top down with a right hand bit. If you don't have the dome type heads on the opposite end and you say its recessed then you have a natural guide for your bit. You have to use a left hand bit then if you're drilling up from the head side. Then its just a matter of having a sharp bit. I do not believe these pins are hardened.

Quick Reply: 89 S2: Jammed ignition cylinder