Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying my first 944. Thoughts on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Ricky Gray
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying my first 944. Thoughts on this one?

Hi. Looking at potentially getting started on a dream of mine. Always wanted a Porsche. Been driving my wife's 02 Beetle so she can have our little crossover for the kids. Just finished college so not looking to spend a ton of money, so I've been looking at the 944. The Bug has given me plenty of practice turning wrenches.

Curious about your thoughts on this 1985 944 with 56k. Owner says it's garage kept the last 28 years with current inspection and is "mint." Asking $6200. Most of the cars I've seen out there are in the 3-5k range with quite a few more miles and or needed maintenance. I'm just getting started on my research. Is this a fair price for this car/other things I should be looking for before I make a 4+ hour trip.

Kind regards.

Last edited by Ricky Gray; 01-20-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Ricky Gray
7th Gear

Default Screenshot from ad

Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Gray
The high quality German plastic has a life span of about 10-15 years ~ so look to replace a boatload of that-and( before anyone attacks me 34 year old plastic is 34 year old plastic)1600 miles a year, I would be doing a compression and a leak down test. If you can't, take to a reputable shop to inspect. Cars don't sit well. The odometer gears on these beasts rots. From the photos it's a fine example of these cars but eyes wide open! Ask for documentation of repairs, look for paint overspray, oil seepage, leaking anywhere on the car, get dirty looking at it. Recent replacement of the timing belt,balance shaft belt and rollers is a sign of TLC (Timing belt Loss of Cash) ha ha. You don't have to be a master mechanic to buy,own one of these beasts but knowing what you're looking at and what to look for will save you a ton of cash and headaches.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Dash cracks on a 56k car which was garage kept almost all it’s life and excessive wear on pedal rubbers suggests that is a 156k car.

Also what’s up with the loose wiring hanging there and the bad imitation of 968 rocket covers, how are they attached and what are they hiding?

Imo you need to carefully inspect it in person and check records, also be aware that a car that’s sat for that long will probably need a lot of initial maintenance to be reliable. Dampers, clutch, etc could cost you $$$$’s to fix even doing the work yourself.

Personally id look for a car that’s been used and maintained rather than a dubious garage queen.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Dash cracks on a 56k car which was garage kept almost all it’s life and excessive wear on pedal rubbers suggests that is a 156k car.
Mine has dash cracks at 48K. Garage kept (when not driving). And in upstate NY where the sun doesn't shine much. But it spend its time in the sun during those 48K miles.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Ricky Gray
7th Gear

Default Thanks so much for responses.

Really appreciate the responses. I'm just dipping my toes into the research here aside from big eyed admiration as a kid (I'm 29 now.. finally done with the education). Would love to have something like this to tinker with and sport around til the budget grows.

Just a quick correspondence from him through e-mail so far. He mentioned current inspection, new tires, new struts, new spark plugs, distributor cap, and "much more" whatever that means as most recent maintenance performed.

I will ask for maintenance records, and specifically about a clutch replacement and the timing belts which I'm understanding to be some of the more major issues with this model? Looks like an aftermarket stereo.. is it right to assume that most mods that aren't stock are decreasing the value on these cars?

Thanks again for the feedback. Keeping my eyes open for other opportunities.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 PM
pointFive
Advanced

FWIW...I purchased a 1985.5 Porsche 944 about seven months ago. One owner. Majority of it's life was spent in CA. I have every service record since it left the lot in 1985. Minimum to zero surface rust. Garage kept...

I've put over ~$5.5k into the car already; bought it for $6.2k...

Ultimately, regardless of the condition of a 944, it's still a 30+ year old car...

GL
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

This looks like a really nice example picture-wise. Neat centre console! If it's been recently serviced and is currently in good running order, I'd say that's a very fair price. If it's original paint and clean underneath, I'd say go for it.

I've always owned old cars and the biggest issue IMHO is body ie. rust. All else can be fixed *relatively* inexpensively. The primary inspection should be any evidence of previous accidents and corrosion or other body damage. Painted cars are difficult as they may be hiding issues.

I bought my all-original '88 ten years ago at 69k miles and up till last year, I didn't really have any major issues save for replacing the shocks which frankly isn't that major and expected from daily driving. Then, last year it failed emissions for the first time and the clutch throw-out bearing went.

Doing the work myself, I still easily spent 2k on parts. But, I'm still driving it to work and approaching 100 miles more since I bought it.

I'd say you will average $1,000 / year on it--IF you do the work yourself.

I will caution that if you don't drive it regularly, you may have more problems: every time my car sits for a bit (say, I go on vacation or whatever), it needs something after getting back to driving. Why this is, I have no idea. Then again, my old '60 beetle sat in a garage mostly and the paint eventually cracked, brakes seized, etc.

If you're a taller guy, pay special attention to the sitting position as these pre-85.5 steering wheels are quite low and you may not even be able to drive it comfortably! Cooler vintage interior though.

Go check it out. Looks worth a little trip
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pointFive
FWIW...I purchased a 1985.5 Porsche 944 about seven months ago. One owner. Majority of it's life was spent in CA. I have every service record since it left the lot in 1985. Minimum to zero surface rust. Garage kept...

I've put over ~$5.5k into the car already; bought it for $6.2k...

Ultimately, regardless of the condition of a 944, it's still a 30+ year old car...

GL
Wow pointFive, $5,500. What all have you had done?

Ricky Gray, the state of deterioration concerning rubber and plastic on these cars is sometimes over exaggerated. Exposure and under hood engine heat are much worst enemies than time. Low miles and garaging keep this to minimum. The rubber bits on my 25,xxx 84 are excellent, even the wiper blades are still flexible.
The red wire is a bit of a worry unless well explained for an accessory of some sort.The excessive brake pedal pad wear is interesting as the clutch pedal pad looks nearly unworn and the driver's seats bolster looks excellent. The car looks clean and the 968 behind it may indicate a true caring enthusiast for an owner A good examination can help determine if it's rolled over 100,000 miles.
Where in Virginia is it? I'm in Maryland, maybe I could take a peek at it for you if nearby.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:11 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

It's a very unique paint color. If that's original, it may be worth it just because of that. You can get the paint color and options off the sticker in the back of the hatch.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Moe that color is "Mahagoni Metallic" according to my 1984 brochure.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhowell371
It's totally vintage and from this point on, it will just look more and more cool
Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM
pointFive
Advanced

@jhowell371
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
porsche944.xlsx (11.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Oh man a cost spreadsheet? I can't handle the truth!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Thanks for the info. And weird spelling. Definitely something you don't see every day.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first 944. Thoughts on this one?