Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just sharing some thoughts... on cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Just sharing some thoughts... on cars

OK, I need help from my support group… …well, groups, since I posted this in the 951 and 964 forums…

Some three/four months ago I started looking for another car to alternate with my 964… I wanted something in the 20-30k range… fun… reliable… test drove a 350Z, G35, RSX-TypeS, GTI 20Aniv Edition, and I can’t remember what else…

Nothing clicked… as I drove away in the 964 they simply do not compare… so I just kept using it as my daily driver…

Two months ago I had the issue with the starter in the 964 and the car is still sitting in the garage waiting until I have the time to try the suggestions provided here (the search for the holy ground)… …so I am back to thinking about a third car to alternate with my 964… (btw… so much was the need for a “fix” that I push-started the car and took it for an hour drive…)

The list is a bit different now, since talking to the wife, she agreed that a two seater was ok (with two children we always want to go out together…)… …we figure that if we want to go out together we can always do so in the 964… …the budget is better now so the list has changed a bit… but still looking for something that will stir up my senses… you know what I mean…

Used:
Lotus Esprit – love the looks, the exoticness of it, scare sh*less on tranny failures
Acura NSX – like the looks and low profile, reliability should be excellent
Maserati Coupe (ok, ok, this one is a 2+2) – sounds sweet, love the interior Connolly leather… unsure about reliability

New:
Boxster S – falls in the budget, love the timeless lines of this car, low on power compared to the rest of the list here…
C6 Corvette – I need to see one when they come out later this year before I am convinced… so far the photos and specs are looking good.

I have been everywhere with this… one day I would wake up thinking of buying another 951 or 993… only two think that I already have one or one that fells just like it… so I am looking for something different but with a similar feel…

I AM SOOOO CONFUUUUSEEEDDDD!!!! I really want a new GT3 but the budget will not go that far……..

Thank you for listening…
Old 02-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven a Boxster S? Some good deals are out there.

I've had mine for almost four years and have been very pleased. I agree with you about the timeless lines of the car. Sure, more power would be nice - but more power would always be nice. (I've read posts from guys who have Carrera GTs on order, and they are worried about power! ;-))

If you want to get adventurous, you could 'build a better Boxster' - do a 3.4L or even a 3.6L engine swap. Someday I'd like to put a 3.6L in mine.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

what about wait for the VW R-32?
Old 02-06-2004, 06:40 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Late model NSX with the 3.2 Liter engine.
or wait for the lotus elise to make it to the states. i rode in a european version with the rover 140 hp engine, in the nurburgring, and it was a blast.
the us is going to have a 190 hp engine and 6 speed
Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 426 Posts

Wait for the new Elises to hit the shore 35000, toyota powertrain, 190hp toyota engine and tranny.....1000 down to hold one for march!!! Think about it..0-60 4.9sec for under 40k New!!!!! -chris my 2 cents
Old 02-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

The Lotus strikes me as something like a kit car. I just don;t think it is practical for a daily driver. I've heard the cockpit is cramped, and the thing is just so small. Fast & exotic? Yes. But there would be a lot of compromises.

The C6 looks interesting. It will be powerful and comfortable, and a better interior is promised. I'm not really a 'Corvette guy,' but Chevy is doing some good things with it.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:40 AM
TampaBay951
Instructor

Ferrari 348!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:49 AM
TampaBay951
Instructor

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2004, 01:00 AM
kinda5150
Racer

87 lotus espirit. last of the original body style and has the best transmission they've ever used. boxster is too feminine. corvette is extremely popular, everybody has one. and i have no idea how the elise is anything like a kitcar? the ferrari would be sweet, but regular engine overhauls????
Old 02-07-2004, 01:44 AM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about a Honda S2000. It sounds like you are looking for a drivers car and having driven them I can tell you they are very fun!! They are high revving, handle great, and have many options for modifications. They are also an aqquired taste but personally I would get one over a Boxster S in a second. The lotus wold also be an amazing car. Personally I think it is just going to blow anything away at the track and with the Celica GTS engine it should be very reliable. How about a used BMW M3? They are amazing cars and BMW extended the warranty on them to 100k miles. Good luck with your choice.
-Andrew
Old 02-07-2004, 03:23 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Id vote Acura NSX. Those things handle liek they are on rails. Drove one once. The balance and refinement is unreal. Like any Acura VTEC car they arenot about torque. You got to rev the SOBs and mash the gas. Car doesnt do squt until 5500rpm but once you reach 7000rpm its some of the most incredible church music there is. Sounds like you are in an F1 car. My old first-year Integra GS-R was the same way. Man I loved that car.

Anyway, NSXs hold resale value very well. Exclusive. Basically bulletproof. Under all that bodywork is Honda quality and reliability. Cheap to maintain comparatively. Can be serviced anywhere. They are super highway cruisers, you can even get an automatic if you hate bumper to bumper stuff.

Id vote S2000 for same reasons. Fewer ponies but ragtop fun. Again, you gotta rev them. Takes a LOT of work to drive the cars fast, but if you like that challenge, they are a hoot. Third gear in these cars just goes forever on the tach. Everybody looks at you like "uhh are you going shift?" and youve got 3000 more rpms to have fun with before you do.

I love Lotus but ouch, tough to maintain. Not like every corner has a Lotus shop to fix them. Same with Ferrari. With an NSX you get the best of both worlds. Besides you got the 964 in the garage for a different experience as well. So why go totally redundant? I think the NSX would be a lot different, yet equally satisfying and a great investment/purchase/cost of ownership decision both short and long term.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:44 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know its not on your list but have you tried a WRX? Theyre quite nice cars I hear, esp the STI version.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think when you're finished fixing the 951, you may be in for a surprise.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:12 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

no esprit, although the new elise will be on my short list. NSX's are great, very good for a daily car. 996's are cheap now too. How about the new EVO?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:26 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Lotus Esprit maintenance would scare me. Used NSX and ZO6 would be on my short list. Elise looks like alot of fun but I'd rather the Acura or uber-vette.

If you really want ***** out fun in that price range then how about a GOOD 427 Cobra replica. My uncle has one and the acceleration, head turning power, and exhaust note are voluptuous. Not very practical but the fun factor makes it completely worth while. Don't let your legs get near the side pipes (don't ask how I know). In Orlando it could be a year 'round car.

Quick Reply: Just sharing some thoughts... on cars