Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:12 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carltr7
Oh do calm down. Exactly 2 posters here have been helpful and i thanked them both. Everyone else has lectured. You included.
Hi there.

I didn't lecture you, nor did I state anything that wasn't based in years of working on these cars.

I really shouldn't care whether you thought my post was helpful or not, but the way you are talking to people here it's obvious you have chip on your shoulder for some reason. I don't know where that came from, but most people here are trying to answer your question based on their experience(s) as well. Now they may not be phrasing it the best; I'll give you that.

Best of luck to you. And welcome to being on my ignore list.
The following 3 users liked this post by tifosiman:
Ed Petry (08-02-2019), h011yw00d (08-02-2019), Tom R. (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 PM
carltr7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to being on my ignore list.

Whatever floats your wee boat son.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:23 PM
h011yw00d
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Hi there.

I didn't lecture you, nor did I state anything that wasn't based in years of working on these cars.

I really shouldn't care whether you thought my post was helpful or not, but the way you are talking to people here it's obvious you have chip on your shoulder for some reason. I don't know where that came from, but most people here are trying to answer your question based on their experience(s) as well. Now they may not be phrasing it the best; I'll give you that.

Best of luck to you. And welcome to being on my ignore list.

Ooo, nice. How do you "ignore" guys like this? I can't find the button.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Chalt
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

cartr7,

Sometimes we all get answers that we feel aren't helpful. But it's not because the poster is like, Hey let's see if I can be unhelpful and annoy the OP!
Having an attitude and attacking the members here will just repel people that may have been helpful to you. You can ignore answers that don't help or, you can ask clarifying questions if someone has been vague in your opinion. This really is a good and helpful community, if you just put away the attitude and take the help that's offered. Anyway, good luck in your search for a 944.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM
h011yw00d
Rennlist Member

Nevermind found it. That's awesome!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM
h011yw00d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chalt
cartr7,

Sometimes we all get answers that we feel aren't helpful. But it's not because the poster is like, Hey let's see if I can be unhelpful and annoy the OP!
Having an attitude and attacking the members here will just repel people that may have been helpful to you. You can ignore answers that don't help or, you can ask clarifying questions if someone has been vague in your opinion. This really is a good and helpful community, if you just put away the attitude and take the help that's offered. Anyway, good luck in your search for a 944.
Guys, this forum is amazing and full of some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people to ever breathe. But we get guys like this carlr7 over on the RPF every now and then and it's the modern equivalent of kids making prank calls. It's probably some kid getting his kicks by trolling real people. As they say... "don't feed the trolls'. Just my $.02.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

What a shytstorm this thread has become.

I will answer the heading of this thread. YES!

Why?
Because you said
can do it myself. I can weld, engine-swap, rig EFI systems etc... I only leave tire changes and hydraulic press stuff to the shop cos I havent got that equipment.
I don't see paint and bodywork.

But what do I know? I just have a post count, and over the last 19 years have either agreed or disagreed with Tifo. Don't remember many middle ground. We had some good discussions. I think we were always more on the cordial side. In this thread I agree.
tifosiman (08-05-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 PM
carltr7
Track Day

Go to my username.
Click on it so you get to my profile.
Under the user ID see "user lists".
Click "ignore user".
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 PM
carltr7
Track Day

Originally Posted by h011yw00d
Guys, this forum is amazing and full of some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people to ever breathe. But we get guys like this carlr7 over on the RPF every now and then and it's the modern equivalent of kids making prank calls. It's probably some kid getting his kicks by trolling real people. As they say... "don't feed the trolls'. Just my $.02.
You have just literally accused me of being "some kid getting his kicks by trolling real people".
The other guy accused me of "having a chip on [my] shoulder".

Just saying.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 PM
carltr7
Track Day

No but you saw "etc" right?
Its from the latin "et cetera". It means "and so forth".

Tell us about that rustoleum job you did. Im keen to learn how that turned out.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No but you saw "etc" right?
Its from the latin "et cetera". It means "and so forth".

Tell us about that rustoleum job you did. Im keen to learn how that turned out.
Which one? there were two. There was the one where the bottom corners of the S2 fenders were rusted. Tifosiman had a piece of fender laying around for a project he didn't get around to and he mailed it to me. Since I don't claim to be an expert on paint or bodywork, and since the S2 at the time had a market value of about $7,500 with a new clutch, no dash crack, and only about 70,000 miles I decided to experiment and do a patch job on a piece of the car that could easily be removed without heat rather than spend the few thousand dollars the shop wanted. The end result was excellent for a self proclaimed amateur. The rustoleum red is an excellent match to the India or is it Guards Red. If it didn't come out good, and it bothered me enough to replace the fenders and have a shop paint them my cost would have been about $50 and some time learning. Something all of us are never to old to do, even when it comes to etiquette and so forth.

The other rustoleum job was on the 944S my buddy and I bought for HPDE use that was affectionately called the beast (Sorry Chris, we know you put a lot of TLC into building the car, but the paint was tired). The odometer showed 180,000 miles. The speedometer worked all the time. Not so for the odometer. The paint on the horizontal part of the driver side fender was peeling. I used a little emery cloth, and sprayed some rustoleum on that part of the fender. a few days later I drove it to the vintage race where my buddy was crewing for a friend. When I showed him the work I did to our car without consulting him he had a less than enthusiastic look on his face. He then said "why did you stop there? why didn't you get it over here...?"

So the answer to your question is pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Thanks for your sincere concern.

Remember the search function is your friend. Everything you want to know about a 944 has probably been asked and answered on Rennlist. The good thing about the search function is the answers are there so you cant shyt on people for answers they gave to a question you didn't ask. Under my name around this time in 2008 there should be a thread I started with pictures of the S2 rustoleum job.

The car you are interested in sounds like a heap of crap as described so I think it should be a perfect fit for you. Good luck with your project and so forth. I am sure there are some on this board that will be keen to know how it turns out.
When you get the stick out of your butt look up the threads that are associated with this job for an example of etiquette and forum enthusiasm. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...maaco-job.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom R.:
mrccapone (08-07-2019), tifosiman (08-05-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:07 AM
carltr7
Track Day

The car you are interested in sounds like a heap of crap as described so I think it should be a perfect fit for you.
lol classy.

So in summary:

red rustoleum == guards red and it turned out great.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

lol classy.

So in summary:

red rustoleum == guards red and it turned out great.
None of my nonmetallic red Porsches were guards red. Do some research before you shyt on people.
tifosiman (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM
carltr7
Track Day

From your reply, I quote:

The rustoleum red is an excellent match to the India or is it Guards Red
Old 08-06-2019, 12:34 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you buy it yet?

One thing you may be pleased to know is that these Porsches are very well galvanized and undercoated from the factory so they usually don't have rust problems like the TR7.. So if you find a "rust free" one, it's not all that big of a bonus because it's pretty common..
A common rust area though is under the battery from acid so check that..

Quick Reply: 944 walk away?