Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Fuel Tank - In Car 1986 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:06 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cleaning Fuel Tank - In Car 1986 Turbo

Anyone ever attempt? If so what worked for you.

Diagnosis was due to a faulty Fuel Sending Unit not transmitting fuel levels. I took out the Sending Unit and it's varnished up and bottom bolt crumbled and the internal unit has grit inside. Peaked inside tank and it's evident that there is gradeau in the bottom.

I've drained the tank. My thinking is to fill with 3 gallons of Premium with a Fuel Cleaner additive and let sit for 24-48 hours and let drain out of the fuel screen opening. Rinse/Repeat depending on what it looks like.

Replacement parts going back in are: Fuel Filter Screen, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Sending Unit

Suggestions other than pulling the tank?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I just replaced the sending unit as well because of the same condition. I was thinking of disconnecting the hose that leads to the fuel pump. Since its the lowest point, with the sending unit out one can hose down the tank with a garden hose and let it dry out for a few days.
The sending unit comes out in about 10 min. the hose to the pump can be disconnected in about 10 minutes as well. maybe adding a cleaner like simple green with the water might help with some of the residue.
The following users liked this post:
ELLSSUU (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:26 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I just replaced the sending unit as well because of the same condition. I was thinking of disconnecting the hose that leads to the fuel pump. Since its the lowest point, with the sending unit out one can hose down the tank with a garden hose and let it dry out for a few days.
The sending unit comes out in about 10 min. the hose to the pump can be disconnected in about 10 minutes as well. maybe adding a cleaner like simple green with the water might help with some of the residue.
I have thought about doing that. I drained the tank by that hose but found out when I took the sending unit out that about a gallon of gas remained in the tank. Even jacking the car up on the drivers side didn’t get all of it out. Makes me weary about introducing water into the system.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

If I were in that position I would Get a cheap $10 pump Tree Sprayer and hose down the inside of the tank with a mixture of good fuel and Cleaner with the car Tilted to the side and everything out and "Wash it" I would tend to stay away from water. If there is actual Grit inside the tank, then I would Rig up a "Venturi" type Vacuum using shop air.. and suck the crap out of the tank. a Regular shop vac is not explosion proof.. After all is said and done Rinse with a couple Gallons of fuel.. It will save you from having to pull the trans... lots of Fresh air venting.. If you can do it outside with a small fan that would be ideal..
ELLSSUU (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
I have thought about doing that. I drained the tank by that hose but found out when I took the sending unit out that about a gallon of gas remained in the tank. Even jacking the car up on the drivers side didn’t get all of it out. Makes me weary about introducing water into the system.
You could use a wet/dry vac from the sending unit opening. Since its just water it wont ignite.
ELLSSUU (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 PM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys 8’ve recently been through this. Over time water collected inside the tank via condensation (multi year project). At start up time I put in fresh fuel but failed to flush the tank. This mixed water and sludge and sent it down steam. It killed everything from the pump to the injectors.

I wound up up pulling the sending unit and flushing gas into it and the filler neck after pulling the screen prior to the pump. Collected the effluent in an open oil pan. I’d the strain/ filter the gas and re flush. After about 4 iterations it was clean. At At that point I put in new filter, strainer and pump and flushed forward draining at the pressure gage port on the fuel rail. (5/8 hose and hose clamp). There was brown sludge there too. Followed this up by removing the damper and regulator and cleaned these by hand then used compressed air and a Venturi tube to pull clean fuel through. Finally these flowed clean too. The injectors were toast, replaced them. After 3 months of tinkering it runs. Note I did not do the return line - in reflection I should have.
Recommendations - do not use water. I don’t believe you’ll ever get it all out.
If it’s got to sit more than 6 months drain it completely and push compressed air through it both directions ethanol is crap and will hurt you in the long run
ELLSSUU (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:04 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lynch
Hi guys 8’ve recently been through this. Over time water collected inside the tank via condensation (multi year project). At start up time I put in fresh fuel but failed to flush the tank. This mixed water and sludge and sent it down steam. It killed everything from the pump to the injectors.

I wound up up pulling the sending unit and flushing gas into it and the filler neck after pulling the screen prior to the pump. Collected the effluent in an open oil pan. I’d the strain/ filter the gas and re flush. After about 4 iterations it was clean. At At that point I put in new filter, strainer and pump and flushed forward draining at the pressure gage port on the fuel rail. (5/8 hose and hose clamp). There was brown sludge there too. Followed this up by removing the damper and regulator and cleaned these by hand then used compressed air and a Venturi tube to pull clean fuel through. Finally these flowed clean too. The injectors were toast, replaced them. After 3 months of tinkering it runs. Note I did not do the return line - in reflection I should have.
Recommendations - do not use water. I don’t believe you’ll ever get it all out.
If it’s got to sit more than 6 months drain it completely and push compressed air through it both directions ethanol is crap and will hurt you in the long run
Thanks, I'm with you on the water. Sounds like you did basically my plan for the tank except I've been planning on adding a fuel cleaner along with the fresh fuel. I also like GPA951's idea of a sprayer and I was going to use the sending unit entry point for filling since it's easier to see through.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Scott doesnt really have a problem guys...., this is LSU propaganda...,

T
Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Scott doesnt really have a problem guys...., this is LSU propaganda...,

T

Screw Bama!

I wish. The screen on the right is what I find when I let a “Certified Porsche Mechanic” in Mandeville redo the rear fuel delivery on the car.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Did he go to LSU? Jk

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Screw Bama!

I wish. The screen on the right is what I find when I let a “Certified Porsche Mechanic” in Mandeville redo the rear fuel delivery on the car.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Fuel Tank - In Car 1986 Turbo