Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack: Remove Seal from Long Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack: Remove Seal from Long Tube?

I'm resealing my steering rack: it's been pretty straightforward so far but I've hit a snag. The long tube (photo below) has a seal that needs to be replaced, but I'm unable to get it out.

Following instructions I first removed (with a pick and some patience) a plastic notched spacer. The instructions say then to drive out the seal with a suitably sized socket, which I have tried, but it doesn't move, even with considerable force.

Looking closely down the tube, there appears to be a metal ring in front the seal, but I'm not sure - the edge of this ring is just visible in my photo, at the bottom of the banjo bolt hole.

How does that ring come out? Or am I mistaken, and is it the seal itself?

Most videos I've seen go into great detail on replacing the seals (rather easy) but not on removing the old ones (hard)!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I have a disassembled steering rack at home, I can take a look later and see if I can figure it out if nobody else chimes in.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I have a disassembled steering rack at home, I can take a look later and see if I can figure it out if nobody else chimes in.
That would be handy, if you take a look - I think that the stack is: seal, spacer, notched spacer, and the notched spacer has to come out before the spacer/seal can be pushed out down the long end.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:09 PM
jjbunn
Racer

OK, coming back to this in case anyone is interested ... there are three pieces that need to be removed. In top down order, from my photo, there is 1) the seal, 2) a plastic backing ring, 3) a notched plastic spacer. There is a metal ring fixed in the tube that supports the seal: that ring is visible through the banjo bolt hole. The spacer is first fished out with patience using a pick and long nose pliers. Then the backing ring and seal are pushed out upwards: I used long threaded rod and a socket of just the correct diameter to bear against the backing ring. Replacing the seal is a) replace the notched spacer, b) drop the backing ring down the tube, observe correct polarity (not sure if that's important), c) drop seal down tube, ensure seal is orientated correctly, d) press seal into metal ring using a concoction of threaded rod, nuts and washers :-)

Quick Reply: Steering Rack: Remove Seal from Long Tube?