Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 951 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:58 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1987 951 For Sale

Scott and I have spoken a lot about moving to another project from the 951 - so we're going to test the waters. If it sells, great-if it doesn't, great. That being said-finding the current market value for a 951 is tricky. You can read through the archives and see this car being built-description below:Quick Summary:

1987 944 Turbo

106,500 (ish) miles

Tons of recent maintenance to include belts and rollers, all fluids, battery, etc. Ocean Blue, with Light Gray Color Interior including Sport Seats. Tastefully modified – full description below. Located in Lenexa KS (Kansas City). $17,500 o.b.o.

Let me introduce you to this 1987 944 Turbo (951). I will list the basics, and then the modifications. The first thing you will notice is that it is not red with black interior. The car is Ocean Blue with Light Gray colored interior – which is an uncommon color on the 944. It is dark blue with a pearl effect – and is stunning. The Partial Leather interior is in excellent shape – with NO cracks in the dash (which is unheard of). Another “want to have” are the Sport Seats – which show a bit of wear – but are in very nice shape. Original options are:

158 “Reno” Radio

220 Limited Slip Diff (40%)

474 Sport Shock Absorbers

533 Alarm System

593 Anti-Lock Braking

650 Electric Sunroof

946 Partial Leather Seats Front

This is also a dual airbag car

I believe the car wears 90% of its original paint. It has been very well taken care of, but it has nicks and dings consistent with a 33-year-old car. The front header panel has been repainted. The car has also seen some time on the track – and the nose has some track rash. It’s not horrible, but it’s there. Car currently shows just over 106,000 miles.

The car has been tastefully modified to be a fun street car, and occasionally play on the track. It has been to a few track events – but is by no means a track regular. Boost is set (manually) to 15lbs – because the former owner and I are not keen on beating on the car. Boost can be spun up for more power – but that’s on you. The custom cam provides a lope at idle, and the car makes 1 BAR at 3,000RPM. The Vitesse system is very smooth on power and makes plenty. When it hits 3,500 RPM, it will pin you in the seat. The lower S2 ring & pinion gets you to the boost faster and it’s a blast to drive. Mods List:

Vitesse Stage 2 Turbo (330-340 hp @15psi)

Vitesse Stage 2 MAF

Vitesse Stage 2 Camshaft

55lb Injectors

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator set to 3.0 BAR

CEP Fuel Rail

Marren Fuel Pulse Dampener

Custom Fuel Lines

Zeitronix Wideband O2, with LCD Display

Custom Equal Length Header and 2-piece crossover

Custom 3” Exhaust

TiAl 38mm Wastegate

Lindsey Manual Boost Controller (also have a Vitesse Electronic Boost Controller not installed)

CEP Semi-Solid Motor Mounts

Lindsey Racing Stage 2 Oil Cooler

Lindsey Racing Shifter / and Short Shift Kit

Kevin Gross / Catellus Built LSD Gearbox (S2 Ring & Pinion, Turbo Cup Hardened Input Shaft)

Redline Roll bar / Harness Mounts (body color)

968 M030 30mm Front sway Bar

968 M030 19mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

968 M030 Caster Blocks

Strut Tower Brace

Bilstein Rear Shocks (Originally a Koni car)

Fikse FM10 Wheels

S2 Rear Wing

968 Mirrors

Front Splitter

Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses

Clear Side Marker Lenses

I do not have the original wheels, mirrors, batwing, cruise control unit, or original rear wing. The original hatch started to de-laminate and has been swapped with an older one without the 3rd brake light. Wiring is there – but no light. Works well for me-at 6’4” the light is always in my way. 968 mirrors are manual – in that you adjust them with your hands. The wiring and switches for original mirrors are still there and would function if flag mirrors were reinstalled. Rear wiper and motor have been removed and replaced with a factory plug. Original wiring is there to the back of the car. The rear wiper switch is now a “kill switch” that cuts power to the MAF as additional security.

The car has some things to note. I’m a perfectionist, so I see a lot of things most people don’t.

-Back of the driver’s seat has roll bar damage (bar was originally red, so it has red on it)

-Various nicks and dings (believed original paint except the header panel)

-Front has some track rash (but shows well)

-A/C needs a charge (unless charged)

-When it’s cold, the Torque Tube bearings make some noise

-Fikse’s could use a refresh. Still clean up well and look good – but some delamination on a couple-and some stubborn brake dust on the fronts

I bought this car two years ago-more to rescue it than anything else. My good friend Scott bought the car in 2000 and did most of the mods. He can be made available to talk about the car, and the car can be researched on Rennlist. It’s well-known on Rennlist (as is Scott), username sh944. It’s been sitting in a garage condo from 2014 until I started working on it in 2017. I hated seeing it sit when we would head over to work on other cars-so I bought it to rescue it. That means a lot of recent maintenance, including belts/rollers as any smart 944 owner would do. I have receipts for all the recent maintenance – and a folder full of past receipts.

Within the past 2 years:

All new Fluids

ATE Super Gold Brake Fluid

Porsche Pink Coolant / Deionized Water (twice)

Flushed and refilled the Transaxle

New Bluetooth Stereo

New Battery

New DME Temp Sensor

New Aux Turbo Temp Sensor

Bew Belts / Rollers / Water Pump @104,500 mi

New Rotors (Zimmerman drilled)

New Hawk Pads

New Fuel Lines

New Marren Fuel Dampener (CEP Dampener included)

Lindsey Vacuum Line Kit

Fuel Filter

New Receiver/Drier – new O-Rings at the compressor (needs a charge)

Oil Cooler Gasket/O-Rings, new thermostats, etc (Oil cooler seal had a dribble)

Oil Pressure Sender

New Oil Cooler Lines for Lindsey cooler (I wanted black hose and fittings to match the rest of the car)

Spark Plugs

Hood Shocks

Misc. small Stuff

Care Package Comes with the car:

Original Reno Radio (but it only plays from one speaker)

Lindsey Racing Fuel Injector Wiring Harness

Lindsey Racing Speed/Reference Sensor Harness

The original harness works great, but it is baked and has some splices. Bought these as a pre-caution-and never got around to putting them on.

Speed-O-Booster (not installed)

Motive Brake Bleeder

Can of new Ate Gold

Brand New from Porsche Belly Pans with Hardware

Battery Tender

Vitesse Electronic Boost Controller (currently a manual boost controller)

Sunshade (Please protect the dash!)

Black Sheepskin Seat Covers

My tastes are more 60’s and 70’s Muscle Car – I’m looking to get back in something with a V8.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:00 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As soon as I posted that-it hit my memory that one of the new oil cooler lines (has a Lindsey oil cooler) is weeping-and that will be sorted before the car leaves.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:14 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

A couple of things to correct Ben's write up above...

1) the rear hatch was properly resealed a few years ago using 3-M window weld products and will not have any issues with delamination.
2) the short shift unit is one of XSChop's, as is the semi solid tranny mount.

I'll see if I can think of anything else, over the years, I had done a number of things to the Sherman and its hard to recall them all at the moment.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Having personally seen this vehicle, I'll put my stamp of approval on it. Great color combo and it has all the goodies for someone who doesn't want a stock car to start out with. Knowing the amount of money sunk into the car - it's a good deal at the asking price.

The following 2 users liked this post by Perry 951:
HY M8NC (03-02-2020), User 41221 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 05:18 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Having personally seen this vehicle, I'll put my stamp of approval on it. Great color combo and it has all the goodies for someone who doesn't want a stock car to start out with. Knowing the amount of money sunk into the car - it's a good deal at the asking price.
+1. And knowing a previous owner and how high his standards are - which is always a big question with a car like this - I would snap this one up in a heartbeat if I was looking for a 951 now, or if I even had space for another one!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey John! It's been a long time, let's try and catch up. I see you are still in Indy, I'll shoot you a pm, let's reconnect!

Thank you for the kind words, I'm torn about see the car go but I am pretty well convinced my Spyder will be the last Porsche I own, it absolutely satisfies everything I am looking for in a sports car. No disrespect to 951's, if they had the advantage of 25 years of technology, they'd be untouchable. I'm still a 944 guy at heart, but I've aged to the point of not being up to the task of maintaining one.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:58 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Very very pretty car!!!! Good luck with the sale and looks a heck of a car for the money.
The following users liked this post:
User 41221 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 10:20 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Beautiful car, figures this would pop up after making a deal to sell my 69 mach 1 😩

Quick Reply: 1987 951 For Sale