Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 LS build

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
Default 968 LS build

Hi everyone.

I will keep this thread going with updates as we have enough progress to make them worth posting.

We, at Demon Speed Motorsports, are about to begin a new project for our shop. This will be to convert a 968 to LS power. Our goal is not to make the perfect street car by any means. We, at Demon Speed are more focused on road racing, which is going to be more of a focus for this build. Although, the intent will be that this car can be street driven and, in fact, we have our eye on competing in the One Lap with it.

Our project plan:

Utilize the 968 platform with the donor car shown in the picture.

An LS3 dry sump engine will provide power (not yet sourced). Intending to use the computer and wiring from the engine swap. Dry sump tank is up in the air. Probably aftermarket to get it to properly package in the engine compartment of the 968

Transmission, we will keep the existing 968 transmission, but add an OS Giken plate style limited slip.

Quick Time bellhousing

Spec flywheel and clutch

Engine mounts, PS bracket, Alt Bracket from Texas Performance Center

Race seats with 6 point belts

Full race cage

GOODAero wing. Swan neck style. There has been very few GOODAero wings added to 968 cars vs the 944 cars. There have not been any swan neck wings. Since now Demon Speed owns GOODAero, it seems appropriate that we would add this wing to our build.

Interior will remain as stock as possible. Our intent is to have as much of the interior left in place with certain things removed for events.

We currently do not have a plan for the exhaust, or the master cylinders. The braking is interesting because we would prefer to retain the factory ABS.

Demon Speed Motorsports is a company, which is focus on the 996 and 997-generation cars with an emphasis on the GT3 Cup cars. We have been very successful in bringing the speed and reliability from the cup cars to the street 996 and 997 cars.

In spite of this history, we also have a great deal of background with the air cooled 911’s and the 944’s. We built our first air-cooled race car in 2001 using a 1977 chassis and updated to a semi tube from 87 chassis in 2007.

We competed in the NASA GTS1 class with a NA 944 with big aero and won in 2011 the NASA Championships in a field of 12 cars (with a GOODAero Wing). We still own that car, which is known as the polizei car because of the graphics on it. Now it occasionally competes in the 944 Spec class of NASA.

A secondary goal of the project is to identify and bring to market new products for the 944 and 968. These will be identified through the build process.

We are looking forward to the build process and welcome input as we move along.

Thanks
Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

The following 3 users liked this post by Ed@Demonspeed:
KVDR (06-12-2020), odurandina (06-27-2020), Porvair (06-28-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

*subscribed*

Old 06-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Blah, blah, blah.
To me, this reads like a thinly veiled advertisement
Old 06-11-2020, 03:43 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Ed, good luck with your project and looking forward to the updates. I have a LS swapped 951 and am especially curious to learn what you come up for the brakes.

Also, if you haven't yet purchased the QT bell housing, I knew someone that had one available from an uncompleted project. This was a few months back, but I can see if they still have it if you're interested. IIRC that bell housing was in NE Ohio.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Ed, good luck with your project and looking forward to the updates. I have a LS swapped 951 and am especially curious to learn what you come up for the brakes.

Also, if you haven't yet purchased the QT bell housing, I knew someone that had one available from an uncompleted project. This was a few months back, but I can see if they still have it if you're interested. IIRC that bell housing was in NE Ohio.
We have not yet purchased the bellhousing, so yes, hook me up with the connection.

For the brakes, I need to see what will work. We have a couple sets of 997 cup calipers sitting around, so we might end up with that on the car. Also, we have a couple sets of 997 cup master cylinders, which are dual set up with a balance bar. We will probably end up adapting that too.

I am not seeing any other examples of the dry sump LS motors being used on the 944's, so I am a bit nervous that the pan will work out good and that there is room for the tank. We will see sooner or later. If anyone knows anyone who did the dry sump motor on this, let me know. It would make me feel better about pulling the trigger on one since, I guess they are dry sump only.

Thanks

Ed

As it was in the fall of 2011. Freshly back from the NASA Championships

Last edited by Ed@Demonspeed; 06-11-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Blah, blah, blah.
Could be, but he is a business owner (or rep), has a business account, and has every right to do so. Business is slow for many people, advertising seems pretty logical to me.

I have no experience with the company but I know many of the Cup folks have praise for Demonspeed.

Anyway, sounds fun. As someone versed in Cup cars you'll find that the 968 suspension is fairly archaic. ABS could be tricky, especially using it for motorsport. It might be better to use a Cup system, if those have software that can be customized for different bias.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 06-11-2020 at 08:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrenchToast:
odurandina (07-17-2020), Porvair (06-28-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:14 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Blah, blah, blah.
D'oh!
Old 06-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

French Toast, thanks for the words. You are correct, as a site sponsor I would not need to veil an advertisement. Truth is that we really do not sell much at this point for the 944's.

I had intended that my post would be a way of introduction and a way to offer my and Demon Speed's resume, but I guess that is not how it came off.

I figured that you would like to share the experience we will be having creating this car. So, join along if you would like. Also, I wanted to get some great advice so we do not do too many things that we end up redoing.

Plan on getting the car on the lift this weekend for the first look see at it all. And to see if there are any electrical issues with things that will not be replaced since it has been sitting for a few years.

Thanks

Ed

Last edited by Ed@Demonspeed; 06-11-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

If emissions aren't a concern, behind the front driver wheel you can remove the charcoal canister and fit a huge oil tank there. Out of the engine bay entirely.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:51 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, that sounds good. I was thinking the passenger side, but I think the ABS pump and hoses are all there. I also will need to see how the oil is ported into the engine from the tank. The Corvette has this tank on the passenger side, so hoses might get interesting.

I also have the concern about the oil pan. I know that there is a conversion pan for the wet sump motors, just not sure that the dry sump pan will have clearance in all the right places.

No, in Ohio it is old enough that it will not be checked for emissions.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-11-2020, 11:08 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

On my track car (the Turkey), we're using the stock ABS with a Tilton dual-master cylinder, manual setup.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:33 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
On my track car (the Turkey), we're using the stock ABS with a Tilton dual-master cylinder, manual setup.
I saw your car at Nelson this [past weekend at the AER race (I was driving one ofo the E30's) and was telling Ed about your Tilton setup. Looked very clean. Are you guys running a dry-sump LS motor?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:10 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Have you considered the hydro boost option? Brakes work REALLY well on my brother in laws car. He has the LS3.. Feels like real Porsche Brakes again. i would go that route just because it will still be a street car, but with Vans way you can get "true" Bias..

Take a look at Vans videos on YouTube, he has gone through some growing pains with his LS.. Ex Flanges, one engine that he turned into Shrapnel and good views of his brake setup and dry sump.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This seems like a cool project. Looking for some updates as your project progresses.

@GPA951s What is this hydro boost option?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:47 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Its_Lobelt
This seems like a cool project. Looking for some updates as your project progresses.

@GPA951s What is this hydro boost option?

The Hydro boost option allows you to run Just the brake master cylinder on the firewall (No Humongous Vacuum booster) allowing for a ton more room up there. The brake system "Assist" gets it from a belt driven pump off the front of the engine.. The exact same thing they use on Diesel Trucks. All GM Parts..

Quick Reply: 968 LS build