Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 931

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy
I followed this car when it was on BAT and threw a bid in at one point. Super nice car ! Congratulations!

Its nice to see these starting to get some love.
Ugh, then you were probably as angry as me to miss it the first time. The only 931 I wanted as much was the silver 24k car that was a no-sale in the mid 20s. That was a sweet ride, too. The dealer told me the first buyer (the deadbeat) just kept telling him "the money is on the way...."

I wanted this one pretty badly because of the paint code - my max bid was $15k.

Last edited by Micah; 08-22-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PF
Beutiful 931! They are very fun and practical cars.
My 1980 931 often carries my family of 4 and also
bikes on the roof👌
Holy smokes, that color is stunning. Granite Green Metallic? Has your car had a respray?

It's funny, I don't particularly care for the ROW bumpers on 944s, but I LOVE them on the 924s. Weird, I know. Seriously stunning car - do you have any more pics by chance? How about interior?

Have you had a chance to run with, or have you owned a 3.0 SC? I honestly think the cars in euro trim could give a US emissions-choked 3.0 a run for their money.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Oh yeah, Ill never leave haha, forever owner until one of my kids talk me out of it I guess! Thanks, I "stole" it from my dad 23 years ago.

Keep the updates coming! Where are you living these days?
Sam,

We moved back to IN from NM in 2013/4. Initially lived up near Alexandria but have since moved down south closer to Cincy, but on the Indiana side (Brookville area). It's nice - lots of good driving roads, with a bit less traffic than the other parts of the state with similar topography (Bloomington...). The Whitewater Valley area is a lot of fun - great parks, water sports, hiking, etc.

Are you guys in Evansville or Indy? We need to get hold of Jerad and do a meet up!
Old 08-23-2020, 04:04 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah
Holy smokes, that color is stunning. Granite Green Metallic? Has your car had a respray?

It's funny, I don't particularly care for the ROW bumpers on 944s, but I LOVE them on the 924s. Weird, I know. Seriously stunning car - do you have any more pics by chance? How about interior?

Have you had a chance to run with, or have you owned a 3.0 SC? I honestly think the cars in euro trim could give a US emissions-choked 3.0 a run for their money.
Glad you like the color! It is Onyx green metallic and still fully original paint. It pretty low mileage with 85000km. I havent owned a 3,0 SC but I am sure they are pretty evenly matched, atleast Euro versions. I have no experience with the US cars.

Here a pic in the sun

Old 08-23-2020, 04:08 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Oh forgot, interior pix also. I love these funky 70:s and early 80:s interiors from Porsche 👌

Old 10-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Had the 931 dry-ice blasted this past week; thrilled with the results!

Old 10-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

What is dry-ice blasting? What does it do, how does it work and what are the benefits of it?
Old 10-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
What is dry-ice blasting? What does it do, how does it work and what are the benefits of it?
https://petrolicious.com/articles/cl...storing%20them.

This old article from Petrolicious explains it better than I can; it's basically a nonabrasive cleaning process. It takes around 6 hours, and gets the underside of the car (and wells, engine bay, etc) as clean as possible without disassembly and without blowing water/steam into nooks and crannies where it doesn't belong.

Last edited by Micah; 10-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Karl_W944 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:17 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, that method did an amazing job!!! The results are incredible!!! Honestly well worth the time put in on a car as nice as this one!
Micah (10-04-2020)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:10 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

This past week I had a new dashboard from Werk924 installed in the car.

I had previously purchased the dash in Dec of 2020 and was finally able to squeeze my schedule around other car repairs/events in order to get the 931 to my mechanic (Terry at Euromotorworks in Indy) for the install.

I had the dash shipped directly to my mechanic back when I first purchased it. There were customs issues with DHL, but thankfully it wound up being delivered in one piece.

Bottomline up front: The dash is a quality piece, and is, in my opinion, your best option currently in the market. However, it is critical that you understand a couple things - namely, it is not cheap and it is not perfect.

With shipping, customs, professional installation and tax, I was on the north side of $3,800 from cradle to grave with this project. Now, I had every bulb in the dash replaced "while you are in there" and did ZERO work myself. I dropped the car off, screwed around driving other Porsches all week, and then picked it up. Keep in mind, the dash, as shipped with customs, etc was nearly $2k on its own.

Regarding perfection, there is some consternation out there that the dashboard is not a perfect fit. For the price, there is an argument to be made that it should be absolutely perfect, but depending upon individual budgets, this is going to be a very subjective argument.

Colorwise, the dash is 95%. The OEM brown had an almost imperceptible bit of black "mottling" to it, but your eye can't really catch the difference without doing a lot of back and forth work in real time. FWIW, color was my primary concern, and it was a non-event. The texture is a virtual exact match.

Fitament is 90%. The dash is not, in my opinion, too short. In fact, my mechanic stressed that the thickness of the material of the dash actually makes it slightly bulky. In the arguments I have seen, the perception of being too short manifests itself in the gap between the dash and the door panel (particularly on the passenger side) when closed. In reality, the Werk dash has a slighly steeper angle at the edge than OEM. As a result, this appears to pull the the dash away from the door panel further than the OEM unit. This is particularly noticeable at the lower right corner of the dash where the air vent is located. In this spot, the dash not only contends with door panel edge, but also has to angle towards the floor. Pictures are attached. My glovebox door has slight warpage from 40 years of existence. Don't know if I'll bother replacing it or not. Probably not. My mechanic noted that fitting the vents was very tight, but workable.

A final note about fitament. Only an expert would notice the aforementioned door panel gap "issue." It is only apparent to those of us who really know these cars... and even then upon direct comparison to OEM examples. Not once, in driving it nearly 300 miles this weekend, did I glance at the dash/door gap and get frustrated. YMMV.

So... is it worth it? That ultimately depends on the individual. My 931 is a solid #2 car with lower miles. I maintain it without regard to cost, and I would put it against any early car with the same miles in the country. With that having all been said... I am perfectly happy with the fit.

If the money is unacceptable to you... do as owners have been doing for 30 years and throw a cap on there.

Hopefully someday Porsche Classic will dust off the old molds and get to work... but until that happens, Werk924 is the only game in town. I have recently heard that they unfortunately lost an associate due to Covid, so I certainly hope they are able to move on from that tragedy. They are obviously a quality company making a quality product. I am happy with the outcome, and wish them all the best.

Passenger door, shut:

Passenger door, ajar:

Driver door, shut, detailed view:

Passenger door, shut, detailed view:

Passenger door, pillar view:

Driver's door, pillar view:
jeyjey (08-15-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 05:21 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a dash that was leather covered by classic 9 leather..

It is very nice other than still a bit of wavyness by the defrost vents..

not my pics, old pics from seller..

ugh.. maybe I should go get my own pics..
Old 08-16-2021, 05:25 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, here are new pics from right now..

Old 08-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Looks good! I like the stitching and the custom gauge pod in the speaker vent as well.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:43 PM
dlearl476
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah
Had the 931 dry-ice blasted this past week; thrilled with the results!

Nice, beautiful results. I just called the only place in my state and it’s $275/hr with a 4 hr minimum. Way out of my price range. You can buy an awful lot of degreaser and brushes for $1100.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:12 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Nice, beautiful results. I just called the only place in my state and it’s $275/hr with a 4 hr minimum. Way out of my price range. You can buy an awful lot of degreaser and brushes for $1100.
Yeah, it really depends on what price you place on your time... and that is totally different from person to person.

Even if I had a lift, I know I would maybe finish a couple wheel wells in the time it takes them to do an entire car.

I have had 4 Porsches done, and been thrilled each time. Coincidentally, I just picked up my 914 from them today after they did a demo cleaning of it for the local PCA guys this weekend.

Quick Reply: '81 931