Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A short rant - No, I'm not leaving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Default A short rant - No, I'm not leaving.

When did this list turn so thankless?

I spent a good amount of time sending PM's and e-mails to 2 different listers over the last 2 weeks trying to help them out of some running problems. The first issue was an engine R&R from an '87 951. I wrote some very detailed step-by-step procedures to help out, and shortly after sending them, this person decided to tell me that I "did not know much of anything" and that my car is "embarrasing with my BLIBG BLING rims and bolt on rice mods." He went on to say "... engine removal out the top is the way to go. You'd think with 5000+ posts you would get a clue."

Ok.. I don't know everything... I have some different tastes than others.... but why the hell would someone say this to me after ASKING me for my advise? If he didn't like my step-by-step, why not just delete it from your inbox and ignore the rest?

And the comments about my car... I don't care if it is not your style... I BUILT it for me.

Some of you people need to lighten up.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:24 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Perry,
Your car is the standard many are compared to, this guy (gal) is just jealous.
5,000+ posts doesn't make you an expert, just a web junkie. I belive you know what your talking about, but there are a few people with a sh*t load of posts I wouldn't let change my oil.
I do agree that 75+% of Rennlist needs to lighten up and pull that stick out of their ***.

Ok, on the engine removal. I know it's recommended to pull the engine from the bottom, but I've always ben curious as to why? Could you explain this a bit better? Mine is already out (not by me) but I will be putting it back in.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Billy W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perry, It was a pleasure to meet you and see your car in Atlanta. Maybe if this person had seen the work that you have done yourself they would have a different attitude. The number of post that a person has means nothing but see the work that they have acomplished with their own 2 hands after reading the entire shop manual is something else. I have printed the step by step that you wrote on wet sanding and plan to use it when I do my car, so your advice is appreciated.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:32 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I value your advice Perry951, I think 99.9% of us do and your cars is a fine example of workmanship.

I removed my engine from the bottom, like Porsche suggests (but what do they know) but as with anything there is more than one way to do something.
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I come out the bottom for a few reasons.

1. The front suspension was designed to be removed as a unit. You can take the whole thing out, wheels, struts, a-arms, crossover all as 1 unit. This helps preserve the alignment (provided you clearly mark the mounting points before removal) and speeds the process.

2. You don't need to remove the accessories from the motor if you pull from the bottom.

3. The chances of major damage to the motor / car are diminshed if your lift lets go. A fall from 3 feet is much better than one from 6.

I agree.. it's not about the # of posts, rather the content and research behind them.
slinky
Burning Brakes

What an ***!

Just ignore him/her.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Haha, anyone who says that your car has "bolt on rice mods" is a complete jackass, and not worth your time. I'm very impressed by your car and the work you put in to it.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't post this to get a few pats on the back... I posted hoping that all of you who read this will be a little more thankful of the advise you get around here. If you can't say something nice, keep your friggin' mouth shut!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My observation is that many Rennlisters post/reply mostly for social reasons, and do not have much technical knowledge.
Saying that, I want to acknowledge that there are Rennlisters who are extremely knowlegable and helpfull. Perry951 is one of them. Thumbs up for him!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:41 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I agree its envy Perry. You can park that 'bling bling' next to mine ANY DAY.

If it wasnt for Rennlist I would hosed. This joint and the community from it has saved me hundreds maybe thousands. For someone like me who does not turn wrenches, Ive never NOT had people willing to come to my rescue and draw me up a picture so I can try to figure something out.

Im the guy who looked at his new set of floor mats from Lloyds and said, "How in the hell am I suppose to know which one is the left one? Youd think Lloyds would have some brains and label them."
Old 03-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would agree there are many thankless and rude people around, just like real life
Just drop in on the thread with the guy selling his 968 Turbo, people are ripping on this guy who obviously put allot of time, money and effort into his car.

don't sweat it Brian, there are plenty of us who appreciate the help we get on Rennlist.

I even respect what you have to say despite that ricemobile you drive
Old 03-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

i just checked your P-car profile, and wanted to say there is nothing bling bling about your car. You have made some enhancements that still keep the timeless look of the 944. Love those wheels and would love to eat a meal of your engine bay
In other words, VERY nice/clean engine.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm, thats not very cool. I'm glad you didn't reveal who it was, because maybe they were just having a bad day... maybe not, but with 5000+ posts, id like to hopefully give him the benefit of the doubt. Going from under seems easier by the way you describe it, but when I helped Danno drop his engine back in the car, we went from the top, and though all the bolting in of accessories was a pain, the process wasn't hard. Perry, you know everyone is jealous of your car, so don't take any words like that to hard...
~Eyal
Old 03-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Brians car is a great car and very nice not to mention if you read the story you know that he had to learn something from all the work involved.

With that said (and saying this as a joke)

Dear Brian Perry

Your car sucks so just give it to me!

Sincerely, Fishey
Old 03-30-2004, 04:05 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

How about you tell us who it is and we'll take a trip there and see what they have to say in person

Quick Reply: A short rant - No, I'm not leaving.