Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early fuel tank options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 12:54 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early fuel tank options?

I need to replace the tank in an 83 I’m restoring. The strainer is broken and completely frozen. Any attempts to remove it have further damaged the tank and there are just too many holes and tears to repair now.

Are there any options for replacement besides finding another early tank and resealing it?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2021, 03:26 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I believe at least a few brave souls have converted to the later plastic tank. It's quite a big job as I recall.
The following users liked this post:
H.F.B. (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 03:40 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

I was thinking of installing a plastic fuel tank in my early race car as my 10 gallon fuel cell is annoying to me
due to it's small size ... almost ran out of fuel a few times during practice and qualifying.

Anyhow , i bought a used plastic fuel tank and after i realized all the work and other parts that were involved , i gave up.
From what i understand , there's cutting of the transmission mount involved and i didn't think it would be safe for a race car.
I saw some posts on Pelican from people who attempted it , but it wasn't for me !

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-14-2021, 04:12 PM
16again2009
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rasta Monster has a write up of it on 924board.org. It didn't seem all that hard.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.ph...ight=fuel+tank
Old 04-14-2021, 05:40 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

I feel your pain. I have removed and repaired my early tank. They are steel tanks, and can be soldered with a hot air gun. (1000 degrees F or better). ans acid core solder. You can call Retro automotive, in Claremont NH a warehouse of used parts. He has several and is easy to deal with. Straight shooters. I have been there quite a few times..Ask for Roger. You could also send an e-mail to Plyhammer's parts. He might have one as well. You can ask Roger to pressure test the tank for you, and /or send it out to a local (to him) radiator shop for a more professional checkout, prior to shipment. Just a suggestion or two.. You don't say what part of the country you are in. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:51 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas tank

I had to address this issue with my '84. I was lucky enough to get a good used one, but to be honest, I would have been OK if it needed some welding to get it right, because then I would know it was solid. I have this one pressure tested at a local radiator shop and it came back good, but I also sprayed layers of truck bed liner on the known area that cracks, just to be sure that it would be good for the future. Got it in, and that was a year ago, and it's fine still.

If it wasn't for the fact that the transmission has to come out, it would have been done in an afternoon. Took me and my ham-fisted abilities two days to do on a lift, but I did take my time and did not have any help.
John
Old 04-18-2021, 08:48 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 05-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a good steel tank from a 924S, are you in colorado?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:05 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Arominus
I have a good steel tank from a 924S, are you in colorado?
sorry missed this. No I’m in CT
Old 05-27-2021, 05:03 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

So far I have been completely unable to locate a tank. Either the design is slightly different or there is just nothing around.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:31 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Did you try Retro automotive in Claremont, NH? Last time I was over there they had several tanks, mostly plastic, but some metal ones too.. Ask for Roger. Don't know where in CT you are, but they can ship too. They're about an hour North from me, in Fitzwilliam, NH. Close to the corner of VT and NH and MA. I'm about 1/12 hours out of Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks, near Hartford and Springfield. Right on 91. PM me and we can get together for coffee, a hello and a trip up to Retro. Pfarah7 and I both frequent the place. Great folks.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:44 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Did you try Retro automotive in Claremont, NH? Last time I was over there they had several tanks, mostly plastic, but some metal ones too.. Ask for Roger. Don't know where in CT you are, but they can ship too. They're about an hour North from me, in Fitzwilliam, NH. Close to the corner of VT and NH and MA. I'm about 1/12 hours out of Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks, near Hartford and Springfield. Right on 91. PM me and we can get together for coffee, a hello and a trip up to Retro. Pfarah7 and I both frequent the place. Great folks.
I did and he's saying it doesn't match but sent a pic and it looks exactly the same. I am actually in the middle of a conversation with him (via email) and I think he's got the right tank but isn't that familiar with it.

That sounds like a good idea (road trip)! I'm about 20m from Hartford down Rt 2 towards New London. I'll PM you if we can get this finalized.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 01:34 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Sounds good..Bring your old tank with you for comparison when we go up to Claremont..(saves shipping costs and allows hands-on). BTW I reread your earlier post and the entire thread (so far). Have you tried using a dremel to cut the inside of the strainer ring? If you do this, it may relieve enough of the rust to be able to turn the strainer out. I had to do this on the fill plug of my gearbox. If you could cut a chunk out of the ring, it would be better..Relieves the stress of the rust in the threads, plus liberal amounts of PB blaster or brake leaner to flush out rust and remaining pieces of the ring. that way, if it won't turn, you might be able to get it to turn with a punch and small hammer. Or just blast out a section with the punch and fold it inward..If somehow you bugger the threads of the tank, you could probably use Gasgacinch (Edelbrock product for fuel leaks) to seal up the threads. HTH some.

Last edited by Tiger03447; 05-28-2021 at 01:44 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-29-2021, 07:03 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Sounds good..Bring your old tank with you for comparison when we go up to Claremont..(saves shipping costs and allows hands-on). BTW I reread your earlier post and the entire thread (so far). Have you tried using a dremel to cut the inside of the strainer ring? If you do this, it may relieve enough of the rust to be able to turn the strainer out. I had to do this on the fill plug of my gearbox. If you could cut a chunk out of the ring, it would be better..Relieves the stress of the rust in the threads, plus liberal amounts of PB blaster or brake leaner to flush out rust and remaining pieces of the ring. that way, if it won't turn, you might be able to get it to turn with a punch and small hammer. Or just blast out a section with the punch and fold it inward..If somehow you bugger the threads of the tank, you could probably use Gasgacinch (Edelbrock product for fuel leaks) to seal up the threads. HTH some.
I'd actually only have room (taking my 944S to go get it when time permits) so bringing the old one isn't an option. As for trying to remove the old strainer suggestion, there's more damage to the tank such as tears to the sheet metal from trying to remove the strainer, plus the mating surface is damaged now too. Basically to repair the tank would require cutting out the bottom and fabricating a new section, welding it in, then finding a bung with a mating surface for the gasket of the strainer...not worth the time or cost when I can just go get another tank and give it the Por-15 tank treatment (I already have this)...and I'd have to have someone with more experience do that work so already outside what it's worth.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Understood....Just take some photos, and measurements. Mine is in the car, so that option is out and I don't have another. When you take the photos, put the measuring tape in the picture, so you can correlate from your tank to his tank a bit better. I'll send a PM if you still want to come up and take a look-see.

Quick Reply: Early fuel tank options?