Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from transmission experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:43 PM
helzerr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem because of severe transmission trouble present when I purchased the car. The center support bearing was destroyed, causing the 5th gear synchro to be "engaged" all the time. I rebuilt it myself, had to replace 1st and 5th synchro, 5th gear (input shaft side if memory serves), and all new bearings and shims. It took the better part of three months, mostly waiting on parts like shims that I had to measure then order and wait for before I could continue building the transmission.

I am almost 100% certain the transmission trouble was a result of the previous owner driving the car on the "get home" tabs of the clutch pressure plate for an extended period of time, the rubber puck was completely gone.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully the problem is solved.
Yesterday I changed the transmission fluid, put in Redline MT90.
Did not have time to drive until today. Before I left the driveway I did a test, I pushed in the clutch (transmission in neutral) and the car started rolling back (driveway is slightly inclined), let out on the clutch and the car would stop , repeated this 2 or 3 times with the same result.
Drove the car and for the first few minutes it was hard to shift, after driving around for approximately 15 minutes the car started shifting much better, it was much easier to get in gear, especially when putting into 1st gear.
When I returned home I pulled into the driveway and with the transmission in neutral the car would roll backwards as it should. I don't know what changed but it is much better. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a tip for anyone having trouble getting the bottom transmission drain plug removed.
I could not get mine to move using a 17 mm allen wrench with a piece of pipe on then end, it was starting to round. I tried to use the allen and a big pair of visegrips on the outside with no luck. Here was the solution.
I started by putting allen wrench into the plug and used my floor jack to barely press up on the allen wrench. With the small amount of pressure on the allen from the jack I took a piece of pipe about 1 1/8" in diameter and put on the top side, between the allen and the CV joint. This kept the allen from trying to move out of the plug, I then slowly moved the jack upwards putting more pressure on allen and it broke loose.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Charlie: it looks like things are solved.
How much oil came out? should be close to 2 liters, if not check the transmission oil cooler for leaks (if your car has that option).

The floor jack solution is kind of risky, you have no feeling on what is happening with the thread.
An other possibility is to remove the rear wheel, use an 17mm alan socket, pile up a double set of extensions from the socket set and apply an impact screw driver.
You should just reach the plug with the extended extensions routed over the brake disk while the impact screw driver is outside the fender.
One or 2 moderate blows with a 1 kg hammer will release it.
TakeCare
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The transmission was almost full of oil, may have been a little low but not much. After driving the car for a couple of days it shifts better but not as well as it should. This morining it was hard to get out of first gear to reverse, I pressed the clutch and it did not want to move had to pull hard and it popped out of first and was difficult to go into reverse. Not sure what the problem is but I will work on it.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The transmission was almost full of oil, may have been a little low but not much. After driving the car for a couple of days it shifts better but not as well as it should. This morining it was hard to get out of first gear to reverse, I pressed the clutch and it did not want to move had to pull hard and it popped out of first and was difficult to go into reverse. Not sure what the problem is but I will work on it.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Ok. So you've got the oil issue squared away. Excellent. If I understand the remaining issues correctly, that "friction" problem is gone now - the car rolls easily and the idling in neutral doesn't strain the engine, correct? But shifting is still difficult?

Next, take a look at the shift linkage. If you can look up toward the top of the transaxle from under the car (I found it easier from the passenger side) and have someone move the shifter around, you'll see the linkage where it connects to the transaxle. Shoot that with some lube. I use Wurth HSS-2000 flowable grease. It sprays on like a fluid, flows into nooks and crannies, then thickens into a light grease.

The linkage can bind back there from age/disuse. It bound up on my car and it was really hard to shift gears. I lubed it and the problem has not recurred.

Bryan
Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I had similar symptoms on my Civic SI. It turned out to be the throw out bearing in the clutch assembly. I don’t know if the 944 clutch has the same kind of clutch assembly. But if it does, did you change the throw out bearing when you did the clutch job? The drag on the bearing acted like it would never completely release the clutch, there was almost always drag.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car has all new clutch pieces including throw out bearing. I will spray the linkage, before I bought the car it had not been driven for a couple of years so maybe the lubrication will help. Thanks

Quick Reply: Help from transmission experts