Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from transmission experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help from transmission experts

Not sure if I have bad transmission or if an adjustment might be the fix.
Here is the problem.
With both rear wheels off the ground and the engine running and the car in neutral one of the rear wheels spins. Press the clutch and the wheels stop spinning.
When sitting at a red light with the clutch pushed everything is normal, put it in neutral and let out on clutch and you can feel the engine slow down.

Try to push the car in neutral and it does not want to roll, push the clutch and it rolls.

When driving the car it is harder to shift than it should be, but drives great with no unusual noise from the tranny. Anyone ever had this problem, any suggestions.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my first thought was that the clutch's rubber hub was starting to go. But after reading your post again???? I'm now sure what the gremlin is.
Wish I could be of more help.
Bill
Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Awoir
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a few replacement 944's. =]
Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange one. I would hazard a guess that it is a transmission linkage problem in that what appears to be nuetral may not really be so. When you push in the clutch, the driveshaft is disconnected from the engine via the release of the clutch disk. This would explain why you are able to drive it normally using the clutch. THe linkage on these is pretty straight forward - get under there and see if anything has come loose. In might also be that the bushing on the shifter end is worn out. You can carefully lift up the leather boot and look at this end of the linkage from inside the car. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:41 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

From the sounds of it the clutch is dragging a bit.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car was doing this when I bought it in Oct. Engine would not run and I noticed how hard it was to push in neutral. I have since put in a new clutch and it is still the same.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:06 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

Charlie what oil do you have in the gearbox?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim, I am not sure, whatever was in the car when I bought it. I would assume 90W gear oil, but not sure.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Charlie
Jim, I am not sure, whatever was in the car when I bought it. I would assume 90W gear oil, but not sure.
Start replacing oil.
Gears are "digital": either engaged or not.
Step on brake.
Drop the clutch while in neutral with idling engine.
If it does not stall, it is in neutral.
You then either have the wrong oil or no oil at all
DONT ask how i know
TakeCare
Old 04-02-2004, 11:34 AM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

Hmmmm. Strange indeed. If the oil doesn't fix it, you may have a bent shift fork which is holding a synchro against a gear. That would take a tranny rebuild to fix. It the mean time, it would wear the shift fork, synchro, etc. The only way I can think of checking this would require very expensive camera-on-a-stick type tools.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I'm going to second the motion to change your gear oil. It's cheap, and from the sound of your symptoms, there's enough internal drag/friction inside the transmission to influence the idle rpm and make it hard to shift. Yikes.

You'll need a breaker bar with the correct large allen socket to get the fill and drain plugs out. Take the fill plug out FIRST.

Heh. You don't suppose a PO took the drain plug out, drained it, then realized they couldn't get the fill plug out, do you? Then just put the drain plug back in and sold the car? Hmmm....

I would be willing to wager that you will get little to no gear oil out of that transmission when you drain it. You should get several quarts.

I prefer Redline 75W90, but I don't want to get that whole thread started again...

Bryan
Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will attempt to change the oil this afternoon. Hopefully plugs will come out. Will let you know how it comes out. I have some Havoline 90W in my garage. I also have some Mobile 1 synthetic. I think I will use the Havoline unless the synthetic would be better. Any opinions.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:01 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just drained and refilled my 951 with Redline 75w90ns (the ns is for non limited slip axles). Even my wife commented that it shifted easier, but we were not having any problems other than hard shifting when cold. Good luck.
Jack
Old 04-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's normal. Don't worry about it.

Take both wheels off the ground and start your cars... they all do that. There is enough viscosity in the oils (it's 75V90 fer cristsakes!) to allow the gears to turn and move one wheel.

As long as you're not grinding gears and the shift to 1st and reverse is good, don't worry about it.

Dal.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:38 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing out of the ordinary on that list (aside from hard to shift, which is subjective) is that it is noticably easier to push with the clutch in than it is in neutral. Granted, in neutral you are spinning the TT and half the transmission, but still. Sounds like maybe something is dragging. Could be anything downstream of the clutch I would guess.

Quick Reply: Help from transmission experts