Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 starting but dieing immediately

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Tamed944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 starting but dieing immediately

New to the forum. So my 1983 944 has been running great for me. Until I drove it to work, and then when trying to leave the engine won't stay on. It turns over and will fire up, but for no more than a second or 2. I saw some things about the AMF running out of sorts if any hoses are disconnected, and I noticed the timing belt vacuum S-hose is disconnected. Would this be the problem? Any other suggestions? Just not sure because it just won't stay on.

Thanks A Lot!
Old 08-26-2021, 09:53 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

I can't give you a specific recommendation on what to fix but in general, the ECU reads a couple of things, one being a certain minimum rpm, to continue with the starting sequence, which includes the fuel pump running and the ignition sparking. . When you literally have the starter engaged, all this "handshake" stuff is suspended. But the minute you let off the key from the starter position, you have to meet the criteria so to speak. The minimum rpm is a safety protocol to keep from pumping a bunch of fuel when the engine has died. Probably a bad DME relay is the most likely culpret. Clarks Garage has a troubleshooting guide. S hose is absollutely not your problem. AMF is low probability. Do you have a tach bounce?
Old 08-26-2021, 10:16 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
S hose is absolutely not your problem.
But if a hose from the lower side of #6 (air box/j boot) has come off, you'll get the condition you describe.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:18 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 268 Posts

Could possibly be a faulty ignition switch losing contact in the run position. Try wiggling it to different areas of the run position after the car fires.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:40 PM
Tamed944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harveyf
I can't give you a specific recommendation on what to fix but in general, the ECU reads a couple of things, one being a certain minimum rpm, to continue with the starting sequence, which includes the fuel pump running and the ignition sparking. . When you literally have the starter engaged, all this "handshake" stuff is suspended. But the minute you let off the key from the starter position, you have to meet the criteria so to speak. The minimum rpm is a safety protocol to keep from pumping a bunch of fuel when the engine has died. Probably a bad DME relay is the most likely culpret. Clarks Garage has a troubleshooting guide. S hose is absollutely not your problem. AMF is low probability. Do you have a tach bounce?
I am getting tach bounce. So that's what leads me to believe its a DME relay gone bad. And it is quite odd that it just all of the sudden decided to not start.... although it is a 944 lol. I ordered a new DME relay and will let you guys know how that works!
Old 08-26-2021, 10:57 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
Old 08-26-2021, 11:32 PM
pjs.oregan
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it run at all if you have the throttle wide open or near wide open (as in rev up to 5000 or so immediately after starting). That was the condition I had and it was a large vacuum leak
Old 08-26-2021, 11:48 PM
Tamed944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pjs.oregan
Does it run at all if you have the throttle wide open or near wide open (as in rev up to 5000 or so immediately after starting). That was the condition I had and it was a large vacuum leak
nope! It doesn't do anything if I give it any throttle. Any thoughts on what that could be?
Old 08-26-2021, 11:59 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This could be a lot of things but does sound like an enormous vacuum leak or clogged airflow. Busted catalytic converter? Rat in the airbox?

Last edited by bonus12; 08-27-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:09 AM
Tamed944
Intermediate

Not sure, everything about the car seems to be fine. Just got done with a 4 hour road trip last weekend with no problems. I also daily the car and have had no problems prior to this
Old 08-27-2021, 01:18 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

A bad dme relay really won't allow the car to start and then die like that as far as I understand. A bad dme relay will either cause the engine to turn and turn and turn, with no firing, or will just allow the car to start as if there is no problem at all. You can test the dme using Clarks garage as someone stated; it's called jumping the relay, and it essentially makes the fuel pump run full time.

How does the engine sound during those two seconds of running? Just fine? Chugging?

And what does it sound like when it dies? Sputters out? Cleanly cuts out?

have you been able to get it running at all since the problem started?

I think your road trip is a clue, but maybe not. Bad gas you got? Engine got properly hot and conditions are now new? How long after the trip did this occur?

need more info.

Last edited by bonus12; 08-27-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Tamed944
Intermediate

So the car turns off as soon as I release the key from turning it. And its a clean cut off. But the car has no trouble at all starting, the cylinders Fire a few times, but as soon as I stop turning the key it cleanly cuts out right away.

My road trip was on Saturday, and this just suddenly occurred yesterday(Thursday) and I was driving it everyday in between. I put in 89 octane but I don't believe my fuel should be the issue.

I have yet to get it running but will take a video later today and post it. I feel that should help you get an idea of what the problem may be
Old 08-27-2021, 09:53 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

I have had this problem in the past but cannot remember the fix. One thing I like to do is take my inductive timing light, clamp the sensor on the high tension lead to the coil, drag the "gun" into the cockpit, and watch what kind of flashes I do or don't get from the light. For a hard cut out as you describe, I will bet the light will stop flashing (no spark) as soon as you let off the key. Even if the fuel pump shuts down, there should be enough residual pressure to let the car idle for a few seconds. If it is the spark, and you can lay your hands on one, plugging in a known good dme is always a nice test. They don't typically fail like that but it is nice to rule that out. I've got no skin in the game but to my knowledge you can't damage someone elses dme unit when doing this test. Another check is to listen/feel one of the fuel injectors while attempting a start. It will be hard but you may be able to tell if there are/are not injector pulses after you let go of the key. Obviously this will take 2 people to do. It does not sound like a vacuum leak to me, since you say it sounds pretty good for the short time it is running with the starter engaged. The suggestion on the ignition key is a good one and can be checked pretty easily with a meter.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:24 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamed944
So the car turns off as soon as I release the key from turning it. And its a clean cut off. But the car has no trouble at all starting, the cylinders Fire a few times, but as soon as I stop turning the key it cleanly cuts out right away.

My road trip was on Saturday, and this just suddenly occurred yesterday(Thursday) and I was driving it everyday in between. I put in 89 octane but I don't believe my fuel should be the issue.

I have yet to get it running but will take a video later today and post it. I feel that should help you get an idea of what the problem may be
Your observations would indicate a faulty ignition switch. To test that assumption, restart the engine and release the key.
If engine stops, do not touch the key. Try turning on the heater fan, the direction lights, or the radio. If none turned on, it is the ignition switch in run position. Then wiggle/rotate the 🔑 around the run position to see if there is a position that the heater fan, etc runs/on.
The following users liked this post:
harveyf (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Tamed944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Your observations would indicate a faulty ignition switch. To test that assumption, restart the engine and release the key.
If engine stops, do not touch the key. Try turning on the heater fan, the direction lights, or the radio. If none turned on, it is the ignition switch in run position. Then wiggle/rotate the 🔑 around the run position to see if there is a position that the heater fan, etc runs/on.
So I ran the suggested tests for the ignition switch. The lights came on so all the electrical components in my car work. I'm gonna attach a video to give everyone here a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
20210827_100058.mov (9.14 MB, 30 views)

Quick Reply: 944 starting but dieing immediately